Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-09-2009, 22:28   #46

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Is Med not too cold and crowded for that? We did in the Pacific and off N Australia, but it is way much warmer there. And, needles to say, no onlookers.

I think it is OK, as long as one does not infringe their neighbours/mates/host country tastes/customs. And as long as they stay under the bimini!

b.
depends on the month and where, Northern Adria you got three months and a few warm days, Greece naturally more, but if Meltimi blows you better look for a sheltered place.

I am surprised nudidity is even a topic, aren't we all born without cloths? central and northern europe nobody bothers, the new immigrants from muslim countries eagerly watching, but locking their own wifes away. Public baths often have special hours for nudists, in sauna baths it is a must anyway (there are small ladies chambers and mixed chambers, a shy boy must stay home ;-)). Many camping places and some hotels are for naturalists only. In Northern Adria it can not be overseen as some marinas have access canals and boats pass by very close (Monfalcone, Duino).

My wife, though from Asia, having a very sensitive skin is very happy to live in Europe as nobody bothers about her not wearing a bra. Wearing one for some hours she looks like whipped by a taliban moral apostel.

My boat? People you meet in a sauna do not even ask about permission other guest are more shy, I do not bother, we usually shower on the diving platforms w/o and it was never topic of any discussion.

Old 19-09-2009, 23:42   #47

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I am very content that most of us keep their cloths on...there are few I wish it see with them off...non of them are male.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 23:48   #48

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I am very content that most of us keep their cloths on...there are few I wish it see with them off...non of them are male.
Plus, it got chilly out on the water today! I had to break out the windbreaker and fleece on the way back from around Hat Island! Can you say shrinkage??
Old 20-09-2009, 02:26   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I wouldn't do it at all. Sun, abrasion, and just imagine for a second getting a wrap on a dangling body part while handling a winch . . . . . . Never. It's not serious; you need appropriate clothing while working on a boat.

Now swimming nude, some (very) limited sun exposure nude, after you've got the hook down (and the winch covers are on!) -- why not? Personally, I would never sleep with clothes on, would never swim with clothes on if I have any choice in the matter, but sail nude? No thanks.
Old 20-09-2009, 05:53   #50
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I spent 3 days in the buff offshore on the way up the coast and realized that was probably the longest I'd been nude in my life. We have full canvas and sun is not an issue. Wife likes nudity cause she's a laundry nut. Dirty laundry really bugs her and lack of it on our longer hops brings her real joy. What's the longest any of you have been without clothes?
Old 20-09-2009, 06:14   #51

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30
Banana Hammock , dont want the sun burn on the twigs and berries
Old 20-09-2009, 11:09   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
. . . Never. It's not serious; you need appropriate clothing while working on a boat....
I can understand this reservation, but what about the times when you do not work??? There seems to be very little work done on a tropical downwind passage.

b.
Old 20-09-2009, 12:28   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
What's the longest any of you have been without clothes?
Nearly a week in late May at anchor in HOT Conception Bay, baja.
Old 20-09-2009, 12:45   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I can understand this reservation, but what about the times when you do not work??? There seems to be very little work done on a tropical downwind passage.

b.
There's always work on a boat. If you're not handling sails, navigating, steering, or otherwise running the boat, then you should be cleaning or fixing something.
Old 20-09-2009, 17:51   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
There's always work on a boat. If you're not handling sails, navigating, steering, or otherwise running the boat, then you should be cleaning or fixing something.
Well, I am afraid with my plastic boat with her plastic sails and very basic systems finding jobs for every day on a passage would be a full time job in itself ;-)))) Cleaning and fixing things off course is done, but on my boat only when and if the things need cleaning or fixing.

My ordinary passage day looks something like this: I get up and give a change to my mate, I re-adjust the vane (only if necessary) = 1 min, I re-adjust the sails = 1 min, I take a deck walk and check the sails/rigging = 5 min, I check all other systems = 5 min, I take down the position = 1 min. Well it makes about 15 minutes work, twice a day. Sitting in the cockpit and trying not to get too wet, too sun-burnt nor too bored I do not count it as work, it is supposed to be the pleasure of cruising (but do not quote me on this).

Thus, after about 15 hours of hard work we arrive in the West Indies or French Polynesia. But off course, my boat is relatively small. I believe that with a bigger boat it is more work to get across.

b.
Old 20-09-2009, 19:00   #56

Boat: Cal 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
The furthest south I've gone is Chicago, and the furthest north, Labrador. It just never came up....
You did know that Chicago is south of Rome, right? :-)
Old 21-09-2009, 07:02   #57

Boat: not much yet
Used to be into skinny dipping. While in my doctors office, I started reading a Reader's Digest. In it, there was a story about a young high school couple that skipped a day of school to go swimming at the local quarry. They were swimming and all of a sudden, the girl said his face just went white and he passed out. She got him to shore and summoned the authorities. His equipment was gone, and it looked to have been removed with something razor sharp. They arrested her, thinking she had killed him. A reporter researching the story discovered that the same thing had happened there like 50 years before, and that boy had lived. He was swimming with multiple friends at the time. Pumps were brought in and the quarry pumped dry. They discovered a very large, very old turtle.
The moral of this story is that if you dangle things that look like bait in the water long enough, something hungry might swim by! Put an end to my skinny dipping right then and there!
Same book also had a story about diving into a river and hitting a big fish. The guy was a stuck in a chair. They mentioned that diving into murky water was the number one cause of paralysis in the US at the time. Kinda put a damper on diving off the cliffs and bridges into the rivers around here too!
I am too old to want to be naked in public these days!
You all have beautiful day!
Old 21-09-2009, 07:18   #58
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieFan View Post
There still are no palm trees here.
Old 21-09-2009, 11:23   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The truth is also bare - shouldn't we all follow suit ?

Love&Peace&Sailing to all ya,
b.
Old 21-09-2009, 12:14   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieFan View Post
Latitude is important to climate, but it’s not nearly everything.

Chicago is about 42 Degrees North Latitude, as are Boston, Detroit, Albany (NY), and Rome. (within a degree)

Vladivostok, Russia is about 43 Degrees North Latitude, and London, England is about 51.5 Degrees North Latitude.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: