Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-11-2010, 01:26   #181

Boat: Vagabond 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
The road rash alone might make it a less then great idea ...
Hee hee hee! I knew I liked you, even if you are a yanky in my neck of the woods.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:47   #182
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Flysci's take on nudity is quite normal for English cultures (British based/origin). It is not normal for the rest of the world. Continental Europe has no real problem with nudity. German public parks, Mediterranean beaches are generally topless or nude strictly by the personal decisions of the folks on the beach.
- - For instance, in Nice, France where I have spent considerable time, the lunch "hour" is really about 3 hours long. Each work day while sitting on the boardwalk overlooking the beach, woman shop/office workers will walk down to the beach and spread out their beach mat, take off all their clothes, eat their lunch then catch a few "rays" until it is time to go back to work. Nobody thinks twice or gets upset. It is just normal daily activity. Generally in the Continent there is a practice of respecting personal privacy even when in the midst of large numbers of people.
- - Another example of the difference between Continental attitudes and "English/Brit/American" attitudes is found on the trains of Europe. In the summer everybody travels by train to get from home to the beach or other parts of the Continent. I used to travel 2nd Class as it was more economical and more fun. 6 people per compartment with those glass partition walls closing each compartment from the hallway down the length of the train. Each night about 23:00 or so, without much to do, all six would stand up, turn around and grab the bottom of the bench seat and pull it into the center of the compartment. The folks on the other side would do the same. Now you have a wall to wall "bed" with three areas separated by the arm rests. Whomever you were sitting opposite was your sleeping partner. Everybody would strip down to their undershorts/panties and lay down nose to toes, butt to butt and go asleep. It is just a very normal way of traveling on these trains.
- - What wasn't normal was the "Brits" who would range up and down the corridor looking through the glass walls and hooting and pointing at the young ladies wearing only their panties. It is a good example of how cultural upbringing can radically change your attitudes about nudity. Luckily one of the attributes of sentient humans is that they can change or reject biases or prejudices. Of course in North America there is major money being made on keeping prudity flourishing. What is the saying - "Sex sells."
- - In the Caribbean French Islands, topless or nudity on board is quite normal especially in the evening or morning when folks swim and shower off on the swim platform or sugar-scoop. Continentals chartering or cruising their own boats just don't conceive that nudity is something sexual or bad. God forbid you should try that in the Brit/US islands.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:05   #183

Boat: kelsall 42' cat
I am amazed at the amount of discusion over a subject that is totaly individual and wil not mean the same for any 2 people
Old 05-11-2010, 08:09   #184
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry2010 View Post
I am amazed at the amount of discusion over a subject that is totaly individual and wil not mean the same for any 2 people
You'll get used to it after a while.... and not just on this thread...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:50   #185
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
Hee hee hee! I knew I liked you, even if you are a yanky in my neck of the woods.
Yanky??? That's United Empire Loyalist, thank you, though I won't be surprised if people outside of Canada don't know what that is. My mothers side of the family left the thirteen colonies during the American Revolution to settle in Canada.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:13   #186

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Never though of myself as any kind of typical Ameri/Angli sexually repressed prude. I deny the charge!! Haha. I was mostly speaking anthropologically.

I guess I just suspect there's a lot of not completely disinterested watching going on. Note for instance, Osiris's mention of the women who strip at lunch. No men on the beach? Or is he, like I suspect is true of most men, enjoying the view.

Anyway, I guess I'm with those who wouldn't have a problem with 2nd class underwear sleeping, and could be nude in certain situations (swimming, showering on transom) with friends, but not sitting around with my bare "flower' on the fiberglass. I also prefer to be covered well in full sun to prevent burns and wrinkling.

That's all for me!
Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:18   #187

Boat: Cal 2-27 - Restless Soul
I guess I just suspect there's a lot of not completely disinterested watching going on. Note for instance, Osiris's mention of the women who strip at lunch. No men on the beach? Or is he, like I suspect is true of most men, enjoying the view.

What's wrong with looking? Of course I enjoy the view.
Old 22-11-2010, 12:34   #188
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
One thing's for sure. Nobody is going naked sailing around here today !
Old 22-11-2010, 12:44   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
The cats got the right idea It's a whiteout here right now but this was last nights view
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowy_view_1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	21403

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 13:47   #190
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
not sailing without down jacket and fur boots and warmeez until i get to water that is 85 degees F---- i will send pix at that time. should be soon, depending on crew and weather and...

cats always have it right--mine is in my feather quilt...
last night's blue moon(4th in season)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 13:59   #191
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
. . . Note for instance, Osiris's mention of the women who strip at lunch. No men on the beach? Or is he, like I suspect is true of most men, enjoying the view. . . .
That's all for me!
Margo
My point is only that different cultures have totally different viewpoints on wearing or not wearing clothes during beach/sailing/sunbathing.
- - It is interesting that you used the word "strip at lunch." "Strip" is a word associated with sexual titillation such as a "Strip Club" or Mae West was a famous "Stripper." Taking off one's clothing to sunbathe or swim is rather more a practical matter as what are you going to do with wet swimming gear when back at the office/shop? It is just a different way of looking at things, as Jimmy Buffet sang.
- - But I would agree sailing (underway) naked is more for "show and tell" than practical purposes. "Naughty" is always more fun.
- - As was stated there are no end of sharp and nasty parts of sailboats that can take a bite out of your naked hide. Not to mention on older boats the gelcoat is sun-worn and you end up with a unique white powdered butt or other parts. But I would surmise there would be no end of volunteers to help rub off the white dust - unless you are my age and then they just throw you an old wet wash cloth.
Old 22-11-2010, 14:14   #192

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - But I would agree sailing (underway) naked is more for "show and tell" than practical purposes.
I disagree. Sailing naked offers some meteorological benefits.
For example, windspeed indication: When I start to flap, it is about 10 knots. When SWMBO'S topsides start flapping, it is 15 knots. When I have to start brushing an appendage away from my face to see, then it is time to reef. When said appendage starts beating me senseless, time for a second reef.

Realtime temperature reporting: If aforementioned appendage is sweaty, it is hot. If SWMBO can carry two coils of line without using her hands (which are holding two cups of coffee), it is cold. If the main is carrying two reefs and I am not being beaten senseless it is VERY cold.
Old 22-11-2010, 14:15   #193

Boat: Irwin Citation
I have done it

Depending on who's on the boat and where I was, I have done it. I notice people talking about fiberglass, non-skid, etc. but if it's nice out there is little chance of abrasions or anything crazy. If it's blowing a gale and you are reefing the main and rigging the storm jib while running around cranking on winches I could see how that could be an issue.

Upon seeing what sort of photos people post and reading a bit I had to sort of make sure I put only "clothed people" photos up. I was looking through my various sailing photos to post a few and saying to myself, "Oops... not THAT one" once in a while...
Old 22-11-2010, 14:23   #194

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
I took my clothes off in 1974 and did not put em back on 'till 1980.
When in the tropics, our rule is, if yer gonna go forward and get wet, get nakey (or 99%) first. Wet clothes, 'specially salty, are a drag in the cabin.
These days, for "saftey", we rarely go starkers. Just a quick battery charge now n then.
Old 22-11-2010, 15:22   #195
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
sailing without clothes is not a show and tell bs thing. is because some folks donot like the confinement of clothing. binding shorts are not comfy to wear when sailing-- chafing happens. many materials todays clothing are made of is not the kind for sailing. there fore nekkid sailing. then some one makes a big deal of it because the 3 yr old in most folks cant handle the idea that nudity is NOT sex. lol nor is it even sexy. is a fact of life. we were even born nekkid--LOL go figger.
as i am not able to wear many of the items of clothing manufactured these days-- they gotta put latex in clothing for some reason.... i wear a mans tank known as a wife beater tank
is comfy, doesnt bind, when wet, dries easily, and if i find them long enough i can wear only that in semi-public as well..LOL....(yeah, i am 5'8--i have to use big boys sizes..LOL)

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: