Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 08:22   #1

Boat: Oyster 45
Naked sailing!

Having spent the last four months sailing in the central Med it seems like people on boats are so poor they cannot afford clothes.

Now I am no prude and will even accept the odd view of a wrinkly with skin several sizes too big but when does nakedness become too much.

We had three men on a boat anchor next to us for three days. Not only did they not wear any clothes in that time but they also exercised naked on the deck.

If these had been women I don't think I would have objected so much but come on... there were kids on other boats and surely this was going a little too far.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:33   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Naked sailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
We had three men on a boat anchor next to us for three days. Not only did they not wear any clothes in that time but they also exercised naked on the deck.

If these had been women I don't think I would have objected so much...
What anchorage?

I only object when they are not easy on the eye, but it sounds like your neighbours were doing their best to stay/get that way .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:42   #3

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Having spent the last four months sailing in the central Med it seems like people on boats are so poor they cannot afford clothes. Now I am no prude and will even accept the odd view of a wrinkly with skin several sizes too big but when does nakedness become too much. We had three men on a boat anchor next to us for three days. Not only did they not wear any clothes in that time but they also exercised naked on the deck. If these had been women I don't think I would have objected so much but come on... there were kids on other boats and surely this was going a little too far.
I could have been one of those men...

Honestly, just look away if you don't want to watch. As to kids: kids usually don't get upset by nudity, unless they have been repeatedly told to be upset.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:50   #4

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I could have been one of those men...

Honestly, just look away if you don't want to watch. As to kids: kids usually don't get upset by nudity, unless they have been repeatedly told to be upset.
Why should my wife, my boy and myself have to spend three days only being able to look at one side of a beautiful anchorage?

We usually have no problem with it and spend a lot of our time as nature intended but I believe there are times when a little bit of discretion should be used. There were times when it became more exhibitionism than anything else.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:06   #5

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'

Wait... People actually boat with their clothes on?
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:12   #6

I agree with your concern but it can have entertainment value.

I watched a middle aged and quite overweight guy pulling up his anchor - by hand - while naked.

With each upward heave of the chain, galvanized steel and tender flesh got way too close to each other.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:14   #7

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Why should my wife, my boy and myself have to spend three days only being able to look at one side of a beautiful anchorage? We usually have no problem with it and spend a lot of our time as nature intended but I believe there are times when a little bit of discretion should be used. There were times when it became more exhibitionism than anything else.
Why should I have to spend three days in a beautiful anchorage with my clothes on :-)

I fail to see why those few extra cm2 some people want me to wear really matter. Is it really a problem seeing 100% but not when it's only 99%?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Wait... People actually boat with their clothes on?
We don't all boat exclusively in the tropics :-)
Old 07-10-2013, 09:20   #9
Marine Service Provider

If you want to stop it FILM IT
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:31   #10

Boat: Skookum 53'

It isn't the nudity, it is the attitude towards the nudity. If you can accept that you were born naked, and will die naked then it shouldn't carry any negative connotations. My experience has been that most people (myself included) look better with clothes on rather than clothes off. We can't all be airbrushed models from Playgirl or Playboy. Frankly that would be boring if that was the case.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:36   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

I actually wear very little cruising in summer (rarely anything if no other boats are around), but I am aware some people consider nudity offensive, so when out of the cockpit and in view of other boats I will often thrown a sarong around me, or at least bikini bottoms (unless our neighbours are sans clothes ).

In general, although there are a few nudist beaches here in Greece, nudity is frowned on, particularly in view of a church. Churches are harder to avoid than you would imagine. The most remote anchorages will often have an isolated pint size one in the most spectacular and hard to reach spot!

Despite having few inhibitions, I think a little respect for the country you are visiting is important .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51   #12
Marine Service Provider

I ride a motorcycle and love the wind through the hair. The first time sailing on autopilot I was hooked. My goal is to be out of site in the tropics and naked on my sail boat. I am not shy or out of shape, just don't like being judged.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:54   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

In some places you will end up in jail, in others, you will just offend the locals and make life harder for any regular cruisers that come after you. In many, you can offend other users of the same anchorage. Etc.

I like when a place gives us freedom to be dressed or undressed as we please. I am not offended by nakedness. But you must allow for the fact that your freedom ends where my fist begins ""

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:04   #14

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Here is a reply showing that stripper pole exercising is 100% compatible w/ boating.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:18   #15

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

"Here is a reply showing that stripper pole exercising is 100% compatible w/ boating. "

I like this comment the best!!
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing