Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 04:32   #271

Boat: Hughes 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Well for me, I would much rather look at naked ladys, then listen to LOUD music! If Im to upset with nakedness, I can always go below till dark, but loud music follows you below !! And besides at my age any naked lady looks good !! LOL
I get it but what I'm saying is that you (some people in general) hope the person with loud music would have the decency to turn it down because not every one likes loud music. So it's not a stretch to hope that maybe the nekkid person will have consideration for those in "close" proximity because not every one like nekkidness the same. If I walk over and ask mr. Mullet coors light to turn down his van halen he is probably going to tell me to stick where the sun don't shine.
Of course if I'm fully clothes that will be more difficult...
Old 12-10-2013, 04:39   #272

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp
Re: Naked sailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Guero View Post
Celestialsailor,

stories are stories. The 'great' works of sociology showing how bad 'western' society was were proven false decades ago.

regards
Just curious, which great works would they be?
Cheers,
Mac
Old 12-10-2013, 04:53   #273

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

In no other social situation is nudity a private matter so what difference does the boat or anchorage environment make? Cmon people we all live in a society and there are norms that as a society we have agreed upon . Wanna run buck naked? I could care less. Just do it in an approved nude beach, nudist camp, or some other socially recognized location. Getting on a boat no matter how much you paid for it does not put you beyond the need to be aware, considerate, and accommodating to others. Unless you have an anchorage completely to yourself monitor all odors, noise, activities, flab and swing. To do otherwise leads to anarchy, a social condition that will end boating and maybe even life for all of us if and when and if it fully lands.
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:00   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I still ask, Where do you nude sailors carry your knife?? Im never without mine and the same with Connie!! All my shorts have been reworked to have a sheath in the back just for my deck knife! I never go above deck with out my knife therefore I wear my shorts on deck always! Unless of course Im wearing weather gear">foul weather gear, them its on a lanyard hanging from the gear! Just a question from a Old ulgy when nude fella!!LOL
Get a dive knife with a strap to hold it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:52   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airshac View Post
I'm not sure any posters have gotten my point. If you have loud neighbors you don't hesitate to go and impose your morals of music listening on them through a courteous approach. And that's been the suggested rout on several threads here. But with this scenario if some one doesn't agree withy their neighbors nudity they are instantly a religious, sexually confused, prude and so is any one that agrees withy them.
False logic. Loud music enters my boat and personal space. If I want to go to take a nap and the entire boat is vibrating from the loud music or I'm trying to have a conversation and we can't hear each other, you've created a disturbance. If your naked, I close my eyes to take a nap and worst case have an interesting topic of conversation.

Now if the guys swim over and do calestetics on my bow, then the argument will hold but it's that they are invading my personal space more than the naked-ness.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:59   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
FWIW, I've found most Australians seem a little more comfortable with topless beaches than Americans. So what is it about Americans? Ann
Obviously:
Americans have a good Victorian background from their British ancestry.
Australia on the other hand was populated by criminal degenerates.

Just kidding but the puritan background probably did have a lot to do with it.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:07   #277

I hate to ask for graphic descriptions but to the OP, other than wandering around naked and doing calestics, what were they doing that could be described as exhibitionism or offensive? Were they fondling themselves or doing something clearly intentional?

Unless there is more detail you aren't sharing, it sounds like they were just comfortable with their bodies and you aren't.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27   #278

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Guero View Post
Celestialsailor,

stories are stories. The 'great' works of sociology showing how bad 'western' society was were proven false decades ago.

regards
Facts please...Typee was a written piece by Herman Mellville after he jumped ship. It is also a proven fact that the Hawaiian Islands were taken over forcibly with the help of the US Military and at the request of Sanford B. Dole, of Dole Pineapple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overthr...gdom_of_Hawaii
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:47   #279

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
In no other social situation is nudity a private matter so what difference does the boat or anchorage environment make? Cmon people we all live in a society and there are norms that as a society we have agreed upon . Wanna run buck naked? I could care less. Just do it in an approved nude beach, nudist camp, or some other socially recognized location. Getting on a boat no matter how much you paid for it does not put you beyond the need to be aware, considerate, and accommodating to others. Unless you have an anchorage completely to yourself monitor all odors, noise, activities, flab and swing. To do otherwise leads to anarchy, a social condition that will end boating and maybe even life for all of us if and when and if it fully lands.
I do t get it why I would only be allowed to get naked in a special reservation, but people that like to dress in styles I find horrible can do this anywhere?
You are asking me to show consideration for your aestethic preferences. How about mine?
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 13:12   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Having spent the last four months sailing in the central Med it seems like people on boats are so poor they cannot afford clothes.

Now I am no prude and will even accept the odd view of a wrinkly with skin several sizes too big but when does nakedness become too much.

We had three men on a boat anchor next to us for three days. Not only did they not wear any clothes in that time but they also exercised naked on the deck.

If these had been women I don't think I would have objected so much but come on... there were kids on other boats and surely this was going a little too far.
kids see nothing wrong with nudity its adults that have a fear of it.
Its ok to show rape and murder on tv but simple nudity is taboo especially if male. dosent make any sense to me. If God had a problem with nudity we would be born fully clothed.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 13:39   #281

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I do t get it why I would only be allowed to get naked in a special reservation, but people that like to dress in styles I find horrible can do this anywhere?
You are asking me to show consideration for aestethic preferences. w about mine?
I think you miss my point. It is not about you or me. It is not a matter of personal preference at all. Societies have created laws governing all kinds of things. This so we can live peaceably and in pursuit of happiness. If the host country in which you are sailing Hiawassee chosen not to limit public nudity then so be it. But if a people have set parameters for their culture in the form of law, all should abide.
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 13:54   #282

Boat: PETERSON 44
They should abide until they realize that they are subjects . As subjects they give up liberty. Liberty is the fuel of life. Once they realize that they are not free they will either want a stipen or rebel.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 14:22   #283

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Here's something that could happen. Suppose you are visiting a foreign country that has a nude beach just under the cliff you want to anchor under to get shelter from the prevailing wind. The wind is blowing about 25 knots, the sun is shining. Withal, it's a beautiful day. And there are a lot of naked people in the lee of the cliff. Male couples, female couples, hetero couples, all there sharing the day. Now, the uptight yachtie comes into the bay, the best shelter for miles, but the beach is filled with NAKED PEOPLE, playing volley ball, chatting, laughing, pic-nicking. Poor, poor yachtie, having to give up good shelter because nudity is against his principles--or at least their nudity is. This is a silly thread.

Nobody's going to give up liking to be nude because of what's been written against it; and nobody's going to give up being puritanical, because of what's been written, either!

I have yet to hear of sneaky nudity anywhere we visited, so I don't think we need to fly the cross cultural sensitivity flag too high on this--it's like a victimless crime.. Although we heard of a hotel in the Marshall's , I think, that was burned down by the locals, who did not like the bikini-clad guests strolling past their church on Sunday mornings. No one was hurt, by the way, and I guess it's harder to insure a hotel there now.

Ann
Old 12-10-2013, 14:28   #284

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Quote:
I think you miss my point. It is not about you or me. It is not a matter of personal preference at all. Societies have created laws governing all kinds of things. This so we can live peaceably and in pursuit of happiness. If the host country in which you are sailing Hiawassee chosen not to limit public nudity then so be it. But if a people have set parameters for their culture in the form of law, all should abide.
Whose Society...whose Gubberment, whose Country...whose environment?...Yours? I, assuming you're from the US. Where your "norm" has to be everyone else's. It's a big world out there. You'll just have to fit in some how.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 17:41   #285

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, guys, I thought this was all too silly, but I think The Australian has this beat:

Naked Protesters take to CBC. Nudies meet Greenies against logging. Nudity as political tool. Will it succeed? Does anyone besides themselves care?

Tags
sail, sailing