Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 08:52   #256

Boat: Hughes 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

I don't think it's like playing music too loud to go nude. The noise isn't the only issue, it's the sense of invasion that is really offensive: you're forcing yourself in my territory, and that is reportedly how someone felt about someone else's nudity. None of us are the world's mum & dad to enforce cultural norms, we might get off our high poop decks and do something useful.
Ann
But I could say don't be so uptight and put on some earplugs.

Let me say I don't care if you go naked on your boat right next door to me. I think it is more if just having courtesy for those around weather your on a boat or not. If you are in a crowded anchorage you are in a community.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:05   #257

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Naked sailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
That is a shame, seems our puritan capitalist culture sells a demented form of sex with one hand and condemns with the other... breeding anger, despair, confusion, and illness because few of us are taught to embrace our natural, beautiful, nonjudgmental selves.

Show me a 2-3 year old that doesn't love to run through the sprinkler or into the surf naked and laughing. One learns to be ashamed of the human form, we aren't born with that.
Sad but true. reading books like Mellvilles, "Typee" where the natives of the Marquesas had little concern about nudity and had a working system based on open relationships, were soon challenged and changed by European influences (read religious zealots). All with the guaranty of a place in heaven which came quickly after the spread of European disease's killing off 90% of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airshac View Post
I'm not sure any posters have gotten my point. If you have loud neighbors you don't hesitate to go and impose your morals of music listening on them through a courteous approach. And that's been the suggested rout on several threads here. But with this scenario if some one doesn't agree withy their neighbors nudity they are instantly a religious, sexually confused, prude and so is any one that agrees withy them.
There is nothing immoral about asking a person to turn their music down. If I can hear it 300 feet away and can't hear myself think, it's too loud. It has nothing to do with morals. If some fat slob is 100 feet away from me, nude and I am repulsed by their action, I'd move. I see nothing wrong with nudity if the person conducts their actions while doing it. But again, if I don't like it, I'll move. It has nothing to do with religion for me.
That being said, the individual on the thread that was spouting religion was challenged by their statements. No one here was grouping all religious thinkers in the same category. Religious freedom should be tolerated as nudity should be also if both are conducted in a proper manner. Live and let live...it's a crowded world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The really big question is, why would anybody nude shock someone else. Its the crap we have been taught by parents and others that had all sorts of personal hang ups.
My wife reminds me that in some cultures women don't dare show a bare ankle. We all have the same form, more or less and its really too bad that some of us have learned to be ashamed of our bodies. A child watches us real close, if we react in a negative way to nudity the child will do the same, if we don't seem to notice the child doesn't notice nor care either.
If it's appropriate...true. There is a time and place for everything. Parents and society can teach some pretty screwed up values...but on both sides of the line. One view can feel that nudity is a form of sexual deviancy, while the other view screams of freedom to do what ever they please with little regard for the feelings of others.
I was at the Monterey Aquarium once in the 80s, looking out at the bay on their back deck. Only to see a guy and his girlfriend 200+ ft. away, on a Kayak playing "hide the salami". I couldn't believe my eyes. To me, that was inappropriate. There were all ages around. I just left with my wife and got on with my life. It wasn't my job to tell them a thing. In that case, I doubt a child would want to see that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:32   #258
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
FWIW, . So what is it about Americans?
Goes back to the Pilgrims and Puritans.

We have 100s of years of being uptight.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:59   #259

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I wonder how many posters aren't worried about being nude because they know others would only look once
Only a select few want to see the glare my pale body.
Old 11-10-2013, 16:16   #260

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Sorry, I just have to ask a nagging question. How close do y'all anchor to each other? If someone is 30 meters away, can one really see that much detail?
Old 11-10-2013, 16:36   #261

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Good point. I don't think critics of nude sailing have to actually see much detail. It is the thought of the detail that they find more uncomfortable.
Old 11-10-2013, 16:59   #262

Boat: PETERSON 44
Noise is hard to ignore. I can't just close my ears. Nudity I can just divert my eyes. Really don't care If you want to be clothed or not.
At work we prefer everyone be clothed. On the boat we are more or less not caring that much.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 18:05   #263

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Well for me, I would much rather look at naked ladys, then listen to LOUD music! If Im to upset with nakedness, I can always go below till dark, but loud music follows you below !! And besides at my age any naked lady looks good !! LOL
Old 11-10-2013, 18:13   #264

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

I usually sleep in the nude and I don't always rush to get dressed immediately. So I can be wandering around nude below decks for some time. I sometimes even sit in my cockpit sipping my morning cuppa coffee before the marina workers or my neighbours get going for the day.

Eventually I will slip on a pair of baggy shorts. I rarely wear budgie smugglers so I have to be a bit careful how I sit if I have company.

I've never had any complaints or comment. I believe I have found a good compromise between personal comfort and public modesty.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:22   #265

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Sorry, I just have to ask a nagging question. How close do y'all anchor to each other? If someone is 30 meters away, can one really see that much detail?
Well, according to Scoobert, if I am naked inside his 150ft confort zone then he is yelling "Armageddon"!
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 18:39   #266
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Well, according to Scoobert, if I am naked inside his 150ft confort zone then he is yelling "Armageddon"!
Should read "Armageddonouttahere"

Coops.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:44   #267

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If I thought nakedness would make Scoobert move to another anchorage, I would sure start being naked LOL
Old 11-10-2013, 23:59   #268

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

"Find a Crew" has this mention on their website:

"We DO NOT remove pictures featuring naked people, as this is part of the ocean lifestyle, but may mark them as 'Explicit'."

So you see...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 00:32   #269

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
"Find a Crew" has this mention on their website:

"We DO NOT remove pictures featuring naked people, as this is part of the ocean lifestyle, but may mark them as 'Explicit'."

So you see...
Anyway to sort for the explicit ones? I don't want to have to look through all of them.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:03   #270

Celestialsailor,

stories are stories. The 'great' works of sociology showing how bad 'western' society was were proven false decades ago.

regards

Tags
sail, sailing