Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 03:17   #196

Boat: Hughes 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
I have to chose my time and location with discretion.

I wonder how different this discussion would be if it revolves around anchorage neighbors playing loud music all the time...
Old 10-10-2013, 04:44   #197
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Naked sailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airshac View Post
I wonder how different this discussion would be if it revolves around anchorage neighbors playing loud music all the time...
good point. did i mention i have a 1000 watt stereo?
Sony ES dims the lights when i turn it on, so i will have to run the generator when i use it as well! don't worry, i will wear my shorts on deck, when i dance to techno.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:47   #198
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airshac View Post
Bingo!
Old 10-10-2013, 04:58   #199

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
good point. did i mention i have a 1000 watt stereo?
Sony ES dims the lights when i turn it on, so i will have to run the generator when i use it as well! don't worry, i will wear my shorts on deck, when i dance to techno.
Scoobert, if you are visiting a country were it is acceptable to play music like this in an anchorage then go for it!

If not then it is not advisable.

You are still ignoring the issue that you are imposing YOUR standards on others as a guest in their country. If a boat comes and anchors next to you in the US with Islamic occupants on board, would you make sure any females on your boat are covered head to toe in burqas just in case the other occupants may be offended?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:01   #200
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Scoobert, if you are visiting a country were it is acceptable to play music like this in an anchorage then go for it!

If not then it is not advisable.

You are still ignoring the issue that you are imposing YOUR standards on others as a guest in their country. If a boat comes and anchors next to you in the US with Islamic occupants on board, would you make sure any females on your boat are covered head to toe in burqas just in case the other occupants may be offended?

I would love to, but the wife is Italian. Trying to force her to do things is not a good idea, and i will end up black and blue. i would however invite them over for tea!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:04   #201

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I would love to, but the wife is Italian. Trying to force her to do things is not a good idea, and i will end up black and blue. i would however invite them over for tea!
So why do you wish to impose your dress standards in countries were it is perfectly acceptable to wear no attire on board a boat?

I honestly just don't get that bit .

Old 10-10-2013, 05:05   #202
cruiser

Quote:
So why do you wish to impose your dress standards in countries were it is perfectly acceptable to wear no attire on board a boat?

i don't care if they are nude, i care how close they are while nude, and what activity they are doing.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:11   #203

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
i don't care if they are nude, i care how close they are while nude, and what activity they are doing.
If is acceptable to be on board a boat nude in these countries, then proximity is your problem, not theirs .

They would only occupy a miniscule part of your field of view even if close, so why not look elsewhere if it bothers you so much.

As for activities, we are simply discussing all the normal day to day activities that are usually done by cruisers in public. Nothing more.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:22   #204

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:

Can you tell me which countries in the Med it is acceptable to be totally naked?

There are those where it has become acceptable for women to wear no tops but even so in these countries there are areas set aside for being naked and these are often well away form any built up areas. Nakedness on boats in these areas is also acceptable.

It is not the local population that had decided it is acceptable in other areas. It is the boat owners and even then they put on clothes to go ashore. Why?. Because nakedness ashore is not acceptable.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:24   #205
cruiser

Quote:

i have to rehash this. and do a reductio ad absurdum.
what about the places it is perfectly acceptable to marry an 8 year old?
or force a marriage? or where women are owned like goats? where do we draw the line in what we personally are ok with, and where we try to impose views? i seem to remember wars starting over this exact thing.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:45   #206

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Can you tell me which countries in the Med it is acceptable to be totally naked?

There are those where it has become acceptable for women to wear no tops but even so in these countries there are areas set aside for being naked and these are often well away form any built up areas. Nakedness on boats in these areas is also acceptable.

It is not the local population that had decided it is acceptable in other areas. It is the boat owners and even then they put on clothes to go ashore. Why?. Because nakedness ashore is not acceptable.
We are not discussing what is done ashore.
We are discussing what is done on boats only in view of other cruisers.

Dress standards ashore depend not only on location, but occasion. Dress standards on board a boat do not translate to those ashore. Simply because one part of the body is generally covered in one location on shore, has no bearing on whether the same applies on board a boat well away from shore.

Being naked on board a boat is perfectly acceptable to most European nationalities I have countered sailing in the Ionian and Aegean. In the height of summer most women are at least topless. Totally naked men and women are frequently seen just going about their day to day chores on board.

I am getting the idea many people on CF have not encountered this when sailing. It is perfectly normal in the Med. And for visitors to come and say they are offended and that others must cover up is plain rude in my opinion.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:09   #207

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
i have to rehash this. and do a reductio ad absurdum.
what about the places it is perfectly acceptable to marry an 8 year old?
or force a marriage? or where women are owned like goats? where do we draw the line in what we personally are ok with, and where we try to impose views? i seem to remember wars starting over this exact thing.
That's why one should not let religions have the monopoly on the answers to what is right or wrong.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:14   #208
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
That's why one should not let religions have the monopoly on the answers to what is right or wrong.

Not sure there is religion involved in sub-saharan Africa trade of woman.
It is fairly common in a vast area. can you call witchdoctor/medicine man a religion?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:20   #209

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Or one country.....
Old 10-10-2013, 06:31   #210

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Maybe I need a frp boat so would have Time to read all the voluminous posting on this subject. But i need to re finish the companion way door.
You guys will never reform Scoobert or he you. I stand on my observation that naked sea lions or even dolphins are the real source of moral turpitude.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing