Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 22:54   #121

Boat: Oyster 45
Re: Naked sailing!

Thank you all for your views and it is good to know that I am a religious nut, a prude and not in touch with reality. I had best work on that a little.

What is strange is when it comes to consideration of others the yachting community is usually one of the best but it appears when it comes to nudity it is a case of "up yours mate, I will do what I wan't"...

As a family we may be in a beautiful anchorage enjoying life but some on here are going to come in a bounce around naked all day and night. If we don't like it then we should not look at that side of the anchorage or leave...it is not your problem..it is mine. I accept nakedness as a way of life but I do not accept exhibitionism.

As has been mentioned things that are acceptable and normal in some places are not in others. The norm in France or from a French boat is to "pee" over the side, often in front of the family or anyone else watching...

Just because this is the norm there it does not mean we all have to do it. I accept that it is the French way, it is there country and there I will be in the minority if I actually use the heads.

In the end it comes down to live and let live but hopefully, in what I do, I will have a little thought for others.
Old 08-10-2013, 23:03   #122

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

I'd go with Seaworthy Lass and show respect for the country you are visiting. Nostradamus if you wish to see an really amusing spectacle then anchor of Cap D'Agde when the naturists are out waterski-ing, keep the 7x50 's handy.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 00:18   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Thank you all for your views and it is good to know that I am a religious nut, a prude and not in touch with reality. I had best work on that a little.

What is strange is when it comes to consideration of others the yachting community is usually one of the best but it appears when it comes to nudity it is a case of "up yours mate, I will do what I wan't"...

As a family we may be in a beautiful anchorage enjoying life but some on here are going to come in a bounce around naked all day and night. If we don't like it then we should not look at that side of the anchorage or leave...it is not your problem..it is mine. I accept nakedness as a way of life but I do not accept exhibitionism.

As has been mentioned things that are acceptable and normal in some places are not in others. The norm in France or from a French boat is to "pee" over the side, often in front of the family or anyone else watching...

Just because this is the norm there it does not mean we all have to do it. I accept that it is the French way, it is there country and there I will be in the minority if I actually use the heads.

In the end it comes down to live and let live but hopefully, in what I do, I will have a little thought for others.
Nostradamus, you are correct: "when it comes to consideration of others the yachting community is usually one of the best" .

I think all those people on their boats in the Med in the height of summer enjoying their day to day tasks while not covering all the bits of skin you consider offensive, are simply TOTALLY unaware that it is a problem for you. I doubt any of them are thumbing their noses (or anything else LOL ) deliberately at you.

I am aware not everyone cruising in Europe is European and if in close range to another boat with fully clothed individuals, I think twice about being topless on deck, but it is such a natural thing to do that others may not think twice about it.

One of the problems is that different nationalities have very different views about clothing requirements. Some of the European nationalities are very liberal and it simply does not occur to them that others would be offended by lack of clothing on a boat. In the same way you would not consider a female in a bikini on a boat or on the beach offensive, whereas in many countries it is considered so.

If you had boats of certain nationalities anchored next to you, would all the female members on board your boat don burkas? Do you really believe that it is right for a guest to impose their standards on others?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 00:24   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I have no problem with nudity in areas where it is accepted as a normal part of life, e.g. the Med, but I do have a problem with exhibitionism which is the way you described the situation in a later post. My wife and I ran into a bit of that when we recently hike the Camino de Santiago and stayed in albergues (hostels). But what would you like to have done about it? You don't say. I don't think we need a law or "exhibition police" to round them up when it happens in an anchorage. I see no solution other than move or look away. As for all the touting of how natural a thing nudity is, well so is farting and taking a crap but society has a different take on where those things are appropriate.
Aren't you mixing promiscuity and exhibitionism concerning the albergues?
I have never seen exhibitionism there
Old 09-10-2013, 00:29   #125

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Aren't you mixing promiscuity and exhibitionism concerning the albergues?
I have never seen exhibitionism there
LOL ... No, I can't imagine any promiscuity in the Camino albergues. I spend two months staying in them and never saw anything close to it, but exhibitionism yes. I also participate in a Camino forum and others have complained about it as well, but just like the case here there's not much you can do but ignore it.
Old 09-10-2013, 00:32   #126

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
[QUOTE="Doodles;1359953"] LOL ... No, I can't imagine any promiscuity in the Camino albergues. I spend two months staying in them and never saw anything close to it, but exhibitionism yes. I also participate in a Camino forum and others have complained about it as well, but just like the case here there's not much you can do but ignore
Old 09-10-2013, 02:20   #127

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
I accept nakedness as a way of life but I do not accept exhibitionism.
You keep saying that. Yet that isn't evident from your posts. Your frenchman anchoring naked near you earlier this year: Was he doing anything other than just anchoring that caused his nakedness to be so worthy of posting about? And why are "three gorgeous girls" dancing naked not exhibitionism but 3 German men doing exercises are? Was there any aspect of their exercise that was done purely because they were naked and you believe they wouldn't have done had they been wearing shorts?

If a Turkish flagged boat pulls into an anchorage, do you ask Mrs. Nostro to immediately grab a hijab and cover her arms, legs and shoulders? Of course only the religious conservative minority of Turks would care and they are unlikely to be cruising en famille. Just like only a small minority of people flying the red duster and cruising are likely to have your issues. But hey, you're saying it would be considerate to do that just in case.

Your repeated posts about non-British people being naked should be a clue that the dress code for med cruisers between themselves (ie local sensibilities, which you haven't cited, notwithstanding) is clothing optional. Please don't ever take you family hiking to hot springs in the Canadian wilderness. You'll spend a lot of time making outraged blog posts

Accept that you're not in Tunbridge Wells any more Dorothy

And...you played the nonce card in post #85. That's a huge card the throw down without explanation. Are you saying that perpetrators are more likely to be German naturists than, say, family friends or relatives?
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:36   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

seems like it is a hang up peculier to the english!
day by day our civil liberties are chipped away by those in power!

Stand up,Bare all,Big Brother is watching YOU!

Naked rambler bares all as he walks free from prison - Telegraph
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:05   #129
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I still ask, Where do you nude sailors carry your knife??

If all you have on is your knife belt ................... are you naked?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:13   #130
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
With all due respect, I think you have a big problem.......

i believe your wrong. we as humans need some shame. this is not the garden of eden, this is 2013. we are not animals.
i would find nothing more shameful then having a young girl see me naked. why expose young children to nudity?
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:55   #131

Guilt and shame are not natural feelings, they are taught, mostly by the religious. I remember when we were cruising the Marshall Islands I noticed the women were dressed from hand to ankles with these crazy cheap poly dresses that must have been hell to wear in the heat (only 5 degrees north of the equator) I asked an elder who's idea that was and he said it was the church. The Marshallese are very promiscuous compared to most Canadians or Americans who are still somewhat in the Victorian era but fortunately no amount of churching could change that. The elder told me that the only difference between today and many years ago is that people feel guilt and shame which wasn't even in their vocabulary before the missionaries showed up. Good job!!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:03   #132
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Guilt and shame are not natural feelings, they are taught, mostly by the religious. I remember when we were cruising the Marshall Islands I noticed the women were dressed from hand to ankles with these crazy cheap poly dresses that must have been hell to wear in the heat (only 5 degrees north of the equator) I asked an elder who's idea that was and he said it was the church. The Marshallese are very promiscuous compared to most Canadians or Americans who are still somewhat in the Victorian era but fortunately no amount of churching could change that. The elder told me that the only difference between today and many years ago is that people feel guilt and shame which wasn't even in their vocabulary before the missionaries showed up. Good job!!

don't believe everything you hear.
some isolated nation people worshiped a god they called "an unknown god"
long before missionaries arrived.
many wore clothing. not because a church said to wear it, but because they felt shame. do a bit more tribal history research before you believe one elder who would probably prefer to see all the women naked.....
Old 09-10-2013, 05:10   #133
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I had one incident when I was sailing alone from tampa to key west outside charlotte harbor. Dozing in the cockpit under tillerpilot and sail getting a little all over sun. A power boat snuck right up on me then revved his engine. I was a touch embareassed till the girls on the boat pulled their tops up and gave me a thumbs up and smile. It was spring break.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:15   #134

Hey Soobert,
We spent over a year there so had plenty of time to meet the locals and study their history. Yes before the missionaries arrived they did wear a form of cloths, the women wore grass skirts and were topless and the men wore very small covers to protect their genitals. And yes of course they had their own religion as virtually all people had, hell men have invented over 3000 gods over time so many to go around. My point was that until the white mans gods were marketed to them they did not have guilt or shame associated with sex, it was just a nice thing to participate in and fortunately to this day it still remains. They don't have divorce because they don't get married and because their villages are small they have learned to get along, no matter what. Wonderful people I might add, very humble and kind. We could all learn something positive from these folks.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:28   #135
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Hey Soobert,
We spent over a year there so had plenty of time to meet the locals and study their history. Yes before the missionaries arrived they did wear a form of cloths, the women wore grass skirts and were topless and the men wore very small covers to protect their genitals. And yes of course they had their own religion as virtually all people had, hell men have invented over 3000 gods over time so many to go around. My point was that until the white mans gods were marketed to them they did not have guilt or shame associated with sex, it was just a nice thing to participate in and fortunately to this day it still remains. They don't have divorce because they don't get married and because their villages are small they have learned to get along, no matter what. Wonderful people I might add, very humble and kind. We could all learn something positive from these folks.

i thought you were trying to say no guilt or shame at all.
quite disgusting, people having casual sex with anyone, something tells me the girls are not 18 or even 16 when they started having sex. many places there is still no guilt or shame with sex, and grown men sexually abuse children in public......
i would say guilt and shame and religion, are good for a nation, not bad.

Tags
sail, sailing