Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 15:38   #106

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Naked sailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Why should my wife, my boy and myself have to spend three days only being able to look at one side of a beautiful anchorage? . . . .
Some guys came in with obnoxiously loud music around lunch time. My daughter and I chatted, do we leave our otherwise ideal anchorage or hope they are only dropping a lunch hook and moving on. We risked it, they left. I'd take three days of wrinkley/flabby over bad music any day, but if it really bothered me, I'd just move along too.

I almost always wear shorts and shoes (when I can find them) while working on board to avoid damage.
Old 08-10-2013, 16:39   #107

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When at sea, do ass roaming. Do.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 17:01   #108

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Having spent the last four months sailing in the central Med it seems like people on boats are so poor they cannot afford clothes.

Now I am no prude and will even accept the odd view of a wrinkly with skin several sizes too big but when does nakedness become too much.

We had three men on a boat anchor next to us for three days. Not only did they not wear any clothes in that time but they also exercised naked on the deck.

If these had been women I don't think I would have objected so much but come on... there were kids on other boats and surely this was going a little too far.
I have no problem with nudity in areas where it is accepted as a normal part of life, e.g. the Med, but I do have a problem with exhibitionism which is the way you described the situation in a later post. My wife and I ran into a bit of that when we recently hike the Camino de Santiago and stayed in albergues (hostels).

But what would you like to have done about it? You don't say. I don't think we need a law or "exhibition police" to round them up when it happens in an anchorage. I see no solution other than move or look away.

As for all the touting of how natural a thing nudity is, well so is farting and taking a crap but society has a different take on where those things are appropriate.
Old 08-10-2013, 17:35   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
As for all the touting of how natural a thing nudity is, well so is farting and taking a crap but society has a different take on where those things are appropriate.
Personally, I see a difference between nudity and human fecal matter. Maybe I'm weird. Who knows.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 17:38   #110

Boat: C&C MarkII, 24 ft.

The thing that attracted me to sailing, is that if you don't like your neighbor...anchor somewhere else...
CalienteinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 18:40   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Personally, I see a difference between nudity and human fecal matter. Maybe I'm weird. Who knows.
I think you're trying to twist my words. I'm speaking of the "processes" or conditions being natural. But I think you knew that.
Old 08-10-2013, 18:51   #112

Quote:
I think you're trying to twist my words. I'm speaking of the "processes" or conditions being natural. But I think you knew that.
Wasn't twisting words. Was pointing out a logical fallacy in your argument. Nudity and crap are not equatable. To try to do so undermines your argument and therefore the points you put forth. It's called loaded language.
Old 08-10-2013, 19:07   #113

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Can do nudity on deck or beach but gave up swimming naked long ago.

I hate swimming one handed.
Old 08-10-2013, 19:18   #114

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I still ask, Where do you nude sailors carry your knife?? Im never without mine and the same with Connie!! All my shorts have been reworked to have a sheath in the back just for my deck knife! I never go above deck with out my knife therefore I wear my shorts on deck always! Unless of course Im wearing weather gear">foul weather gear, them its on a lanyard hanging from the gear! Just a question from a Old ulgy when nude fella!!LOL
Old 08-10-2013, 19:24   #115

Quote:
Wasn't twisting words. Was pointing out a logical fallacy in your argument. Nudity and crap are not equatable. To try to do so undermines your argument and therefore the points you put forth. It's called loaded language.
Sure you are. Go back and read my post again. I said "taking a crap", which is a process not the fecal matter itself. I pointed out the the process was much like the condition of being nude in that both are a natural condition of being human. My simple point was that there are natural conditions we reserve for privacy. We don't as a general rule walk around nude or do our toilet in public. Nudity and our toilet have an appropriate place in modern society. My feeling is nudity has a proper place, the Med is obviously one, but not everywhere. So, even though a natural condition it is not always acceptable in public.
Old 08-10-2013, 19:32   #116

Quote:
Sure you are. Go back and read my post again. I said "taking a crap", which is a process not the fecal matter itself. I pointed out the the process was much like the condition of being nude in that both are a natural condition of being human. My simple point was that there are natural conditions we reserve for privacy. We don't as a general rule walk around nude or do our toilet in public. Nudity and our toilet have an appropriate place in modern society. My feeling is nudity has a proper place, the Med is obviously one, but not everywhere. So, even though a natural condition it is not always acceptable in public.
So you're saying a process and a condition are equatable?

Because nudity has no after effect (as taking a crap does) how could they possibly be compared?
It's a fallacy.

I also have no desire to turn this into an argument.

I compare apples to apples, not apples to skyscrapers.
Old 08-10-2013, 21:34   #117

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Naked sea lions are really offensive, not to mention smelly. Noisy and lewd, pushing and shoving yelling at the top of their lungs....arguing over fish, arguing over mates or just indolently laying around bare naked. Its a disgrace! No matter what you say or do, they persist in their naked belligerence. Just try to get one to shave or wear a tie.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 21:57   #118

Quote:
So you're saying a process and a condition are equatable?

Because nudity has no after effect (as taking a crap does) how could they possibly be compared?
It's a fallacy.

I also have no desire to turn this into an argument.

I compare apples to apples, not apples to skyscrapers.
I'm not sure why you wanted to argue some nuances of philosophical logic and ignore the basic point I was trying to make but maybe I just over estimated you.
Old 08-10-2013, 22:10   #119

Boat: crappy old canoe
Kids don't form all of their opinions and feelings on what their parents bring to the table. Oh God how I wish that were true! A lot of their beliefs are influenced by their friends, the television, and the culture they live in. I am a liberal and open minded dad living in a relatively conservative culture, and I'll be damned if my kid isn't more prudish than me.

It is bogus to blame the parent for the child's reaction to nudity, as many have done in this thread.
bradweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 22:43   #120

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
We don't as a general rule walk around nude or do our toilet in public. Nudity and our toilet have an appropriate place in modern society. My feeling is nudity has a proper place, the Med is obviously one, but not everywhere. So, even though a natural condition it is not always acceptable in public.
There are actually countries where doing your toilet in public is perfectly acceptable... However I'm glad I don't live in one.
That said, there are indieed places where nudity isn't appropriate. However what I find odd is that there are people who seem to consider that there are places where a thong would be OK, but nude not. That is a concept I can't really wrap my head around.

Generally speaking I think that wherever a swimsuit is currently considered appropriate clothing should be optional.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing