Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 11:58   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
Hmm...so you're in a country of which you are not a native, and your complaint is not about disrespecting local values: You want neighbours to rule their lives according to your personal hang ups. The fact that it would be ok if it was women suggest you cannot disassociate nudity from sexuality and have a concern that if anyone sees you facing the direction of a naked man others might think you're gay. You're fine with looking at naked women because that's all good blokey fun. If not, then is there a specific reason for the gender difference in your personal dress rules? Oh wait, it's not about you you're only thinking of the children. Because they're all born with an innate tendency to be upset by seeing men (but not women) in the distance without clothes?
^this
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:08   #32

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'
Re: Naked sailing!

You can't control the actions of others, just your own reaction to it.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:08   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post

It's sad that many do not see the beauty of the human condition. One of the all time great works of art is Rodin's "The Old Courtesan"... (The Old Woman).

However, what I am trying to say is that first and foremost we should think of others, in my opinion. I think people forget or don't realize that everything we do is for others, family, friends, society...no man is an island, not even on his very own boat.

Where one draws the line is up to the individual. Just saying that if you can see the whites of their eyes.......maybe put yourself out....I mean put something on.
Seriously you'd object to naked people on their own property simply because they are near.

We're not talking about any overt incorrect behaviour.

I mean I remember being in a beach bar in Greece with 100s watching the " act " in front of the bar on the sand. They got a good round of applause. !!
Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 12:11   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
when out of the cockpit and in view of other boats I will often thrown a sarong around me, or at least bikini bottoms (unless our neighbours are sans clothes ).
If you happen to pull along side of me someday, don't feel obligated to go out of your way to reach for the sarong. It's not at all necessary.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:17   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post
I see nothing wrong with nudity.

But I very much object to messing with other people, purposefully violating their values for no good reason. Striking bizarre poses, squirreling (Southern for wagging your weenie), or any activity that is focused on gaining the attention of an unwilling spectator is rude and boorish.
But behaving like an ass doesn't have any relationship to nudity and would seem to be a non sequitur in this conversation.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:17   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
If you happen to pull along side of me someday, don't feel obligated to go out of your way to reach for the sarong. It's not at all necessary.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:18   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Seriously you'd object to naked people on their own property simply because they are near.

We're not talking about any overt incorrect behaviour.

I mean I remember being in a beach bar in Greece with 100s watching the " act " in front of the bar on the sand. They got a good round of applause. !!
Dave
A job well done should always be appreciated.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:19   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

if it it offends,i would pull the anchor and find another bay,this is the beauty of cruising!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:34   #39
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Dave
No objection. Read my previous post below. It just seems to me that when someone is unwilling to concede a right, come hell or high water, with no consideration for others, (in fact, sometimes to spite others), it seems they are trying to make a point rather than enjoy their liberties.

Quote:
No one is required to do anything, unless there is a law of course, but we shouldn't need laws to govern common courtesy. If I was naked and a boat pulled up near me, I would cover up. If I pulled up next to a boat with naked people I would enjoy the view or move on.

(Edit) If your wait for the other guy to do the considerate thing, you might end up waiting a very long time.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:49   #40

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

The only naked things on the water up here are sea lions...you would need to be as fat as a walrus or freeze you butt off.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:49   #41
CLOD

Boat: none

When I got interested in sailing I told people I was going to sail out to international water, get naked, and smoke dope.

So far I'm batting 0.333.

But I would bet if you saw me sailing naked you would want )need) some dope
Old 07-10-2013, 12:51   #42
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
..I was naked and a boat pulled up near me, I would cover up. If I pulled up next to a boat with naked people I would enjoy the view or move on.
But that's your hangups at play , that's fine if you want to cover up. It's unreasonable to expect others to cover up just because you find certain people's nude bodies objectionable

The med is covered with " wrinklies " and sadly on the breach , the younger ones ( ie non wrinklies) are covering up because of the modern cult of body image , its outrageous I say

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 13:33   #43
cruiser

Quote:
It's the med , Europeans have little or no issue with simple nudity. Leave your hangups at home

Dave
I can't think of a better way to say it. Perfect. Freedom in the simplest form, people just out having fun.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 14:10   #44
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

I can't think of a better way to say it. Perfect. Freedom in the simplest form, people just out having fun.
Well the diners of one of Nice's " better" restaurants did object to the danglys walking by the dining table windows last year. Lol

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 14:23   #45
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
But that's your hangups at play , that's fine if you want to cover up. It's unreasonable to expect others to cover up just because you find certain people's nude bodies objectionable

The med is covered with " wrinklies " and sadly on the breach , the younger ones ( ie non wrinklies) are covering up because of the modern cult of body image , its outrageous I say

Dave
The fact that I would cover up for another's benefit is not a hang-up. Unless you think consideration for others is a hang up. I don't think you understand what I've been saying, but that is OK. Happy sailing.

Tags
sail, sailing