Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 23:23   #301

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Re: Naked sailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
These three men were not being overtly sexual but would find any excuse to wander onto the deck, exercise or just generally parade every time my wife was in view.

To her it was threatening to the point she did not want to be on deck and eventually we left.

There was no doubt in my mind and hers that they were just not going about there business but were exhibiting themselves,
I think what you are saying is like so many other things, nudity is in the "eye of the beholder". It was not their nudity per se that was offensive but their behaviour.

Maybe they did not think they were being offensive maybe they were deliberately behaving provocatively, I guess we will never know.

It was not the nudity that was wrong. There are many ways people can behave sexually offensively and be fully clothed. I've had people rub themselves up against me in a crowded train and expose themselves when walking through the park.
Old 12-10-2013, 23:51   #302

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes View Post
If I had a couple youngins aboard I guess I wouldn't mind an Adam and Eve type couple as neighbors, but three guys? Brokeback sailing? Nah...
And if three girls ... ??
Old 13-10-2013, 04:29   #303
CLOD

Boat: none
When naked, what does a fox say?

Hard to believe naked can result in so much uptightness!
Old 13-10-2013, 05:22   #304

Quote:
The evidence of my wife's feelings is enough for me.
Enough for you to choose to leave the anchorage. I agree. It's a good choice. Same as if you choose to leave a poorly protected anchorage before the weather turns bad.

Enough to imply they are sexual predators or up to something no good. Not even close.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 05:54   #305
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

I've really enjoyed reading this thread over the past week. But to those who have participated, and maybe not enjoyed it so much, here is bit of advice. Something I always try to remember.

Nobody cares what I think.

Of course, no one is going to listen to this. LOL
Old 13-10-2013, 06:12   #306

Boat: Watkins 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
And if three girls ... ??
"I" believe these three guys (or girls) have a responsibility to police themselves, especially when children are present. If they are in an anchorage with like minded people that's one thing, if they'd are in a mixed anchorage it's polite to be discrete. That's what the Fox say...
Old 13-10-2013, 06:16   #307

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes View Post
"I" believe these three guys (or girls) have a responsibility to police themselves, especially when children are present. If they are in an anchorage with like minded people that's one thing, if they'd are in a mixed anchorage it's polite to be discrete. That's what the Fox say...
Your post seem to say if it was a heterosexual couple it could be o.k. but not male homosexuals. Did I read it wrong?
Old 13-10-2013, 06:20   #308

How do you get skid marks out of nonskid ?
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 07:10   #309

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Enough for you to choose to leave the anchorage. I agree. It's a good choice. Same as if you choose to leave a poorly protected anchorage before the weather turns bad.

Enough to imply they are sexual predators or up to something no good. Not even close.
I spent 20 years working with sexual predators. I was present at the time but will bow to your superior knowledge and insight.
Old 13-10-2013, 07:18   #310
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
I've really enjoyed reading this thread over the past week. But to those who have participated, and maybe not enjoyed it so much, here is bit of advice. Something I always try to remember.

Nobody cares what I think.

Of course, no one is going to listen to this. LOL
And it is a shame no one will listen because by some strange coincidence I always know what is right and true, and they are always wrong. Funny how that is.

Yes, I did quote myself. It's about time some one did.
Old 13-10-2013, 07:32   #311

Quote:
Yes we did see it every day but my point was not so much the nudity..more the appropriateness of it. showering on the stern is something that everybody did but 3 men anchored too close and exercising on deck all the time was just not appropriate... it became exhibitionism rather than the done thing..
I may be a bit over the top on this but I spent far to many years working with sexually abused children and the perpetrators...
I'm with a previous poster who asked why you simply didn't move?

How is it that you seem to equate nude men with sexually abused children and predators?

Personally, I can't say how I would react; I grew up in France where nudity is no big deal but have since become somewhat repressed living in the U.S. no matter my reaction my choice remains the same: deal with it or move the boat.
GreyBeardVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 07:50   #312

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Nostradamus: is it possible you are a little hyper-sensitive to the sexual predator issue because of having worked with it, and been exposed to the behaviors more than most people? The intellectual background you bring to such a situation (assuming lots of study about human sexuality) will be very different from other people.

Of course, good on you for leaving after your wife said she was uncomfortable. The moment she finds their horsing around for her benefit (if it was), and she felt creeped out by the situation, you took care of her and you and left. Excellent. I've felt frightened (in my younger years) by what I thought was inappropriate sexual behavior directed at me, and a more or less dignified retreat fits my personality better than a confrontation.

For you, though, perhaps it felt like you wanted to do more than just get her out of there and got temporarily stuck in the angry feelings arising from what felt invasive? I've been there, too, killing angry, but no reasonable way to express those feelings, and they do need to come out and be dispersed safely. Add to this our duty as healthy adults to protect and nurture children, and you have an interesting stew, so to speak.

I can imagine that this whole discussion may have been frustrating to you, partly because it drifted away from your specific situation to the general. It was the specific situation that torqued you, and those the feelings that needed venting. If I got it right about your ground of being, all I can say is that I am very much on your side, and for some of the same underlying reasons.

But still, generally speaking, I find nudity as an issue a non-existent issue; generally, it doesn't offend me. In this particular situation, your wife's distress made it imperative that you take action, unfortunately the only reasonable action open to you was emotionally dissatisfying.

Sorry if anything I wrote here offended you. I have no wish to add insult to injury.

Ann
Old 13-10-2013, 08:46   #313

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Quote:
We had three men on a boat anchor next to us for three days. Not only did they not wear any clothes in that time but they also exercised naked on the deck.

If these had been women I don't think I would have objected so much but come on... there were kids on other boats and surely this was going a little too far.
I have to wonder if the swap to the potential predators is something Fox would call a flip-flop in order to gain support.

It is hard to read the " if these had been women" statement and see it any other way.

While I am not guilty of doing jumping jacks on deck in the buff, I did find "The First Nudie Musical", with Cindy Williams from "Laverne and Shirley" hilarious.
Old 13-10-2013, 09:56   #314

Boat: Catalina 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Well that depends on whether the deer makes a sound and whether there is loud music present.
And also, whether or not the deer is doing calisthenics.
Old 13-10-2013, 10:39   #315

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTour View Post
How do you get skid marks out of nonskid ?
A considerate nudists always sits on his/her towel. That is the standing rules at nudist resorts.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing