Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 02:44   #241

Boat: Hughes 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post

Bingo!
I'm not sure any posters have gotten my point. If you have loud neighbors you don't hesitate to go and impose your morals of music listening on them through a courteous approach. And that's been the suggested rout on several threads here. But with this scenario if some one doesn't agree withy their neighbors nudity they are instantly a religious, sexually confused, prude and so is any one that agrees withy them.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:18   #242
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Naked sailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airshac View Post
I'm not sure any posters have gotten my point. If you have loud neighbors you don't hesitate to go and impose your morals of music listening on them through a courteous approach. And that's been the suggested rout on several threads here. But with this scenario if some one doesn't agree withy their neighbors nudity they are instantly a religious, sexually confused, prude and so is any one that agrees withy them.

Loud music annoys because its loud not because it is music. nudity is not intrusive. Your argument would suggest that , if you dont like. say curry, you feel morally obliged to ask your neighbour to stop cooking it.

I have to say what a terrible thread. SImple nudity on a boat ( however close) threatens no one, why would anyone object. I just cant see the issue. I and my wife and kids have anchored close to boats with complete families who are nude. we have swum and sunbathed onboard nude ( And god knows Im nothing to look at). There is no exhibitionism, nothing overt and its a common occurrence around us and in many places in the Med.

Sure , we or anybody else arent going to walk down the main street in Nice, naked, that is entering into the politics of naturism. Equally local laws and ordinances control those that prefer to be naked, and do exert a degree of control.

Keep you peculiar inhibitions about this issue at home, better yet , stay at home.

Dave
Old 11-10-2013, 03:41   #243

Boat: Hughes 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Loud music annoys because its loud not because it is music. nudity is not intrusive. Your argument would suggest that , if you dont like. say curry, you feel morally obliged to ask your neighbour to stop cooking it.

Dave
Loud music annoys YOU because it's loud. Who cares what you think about the music I listen to on my boat. Or the curry I rub on my naked body.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:49   #244
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hi Scooby

The first photo was taken today just for you, only 2km from our boat :

See, there are some spots here in the Med that you would feel right at home (although you would have had to evert your eyes from the topless girls on the beach I passed first ).

Sorry to tell you though that this is only the second sign I have seen in Greece like this, although I did find the second sign next to a pool in the Peloponnese .
topless girls do not personally bother me. i have larger breasts then some of them
and i have come up with a short list of what i can do at anchorage that noone can say anything about. i will reserve this for the calisthenics group.

1 richard wagner on the sony ES
2 wind dependent, cooking stinky food.
3 preforming a release of ashes from a urn, yelling things like, "enjoy the sea great grandma!"
4 singing (my singing sounds like a peacock getting its neck broken)
5 slaughter chickens on deck (we will buy local live chickens, best for freshness)
6 slaughter goats on deck
7 pretend to take photos

thou i doubt this will work for old nudists, as old people tend not to care about anything.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:11   #245

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:

I have to say what a terrible thread. SImple nudity on a boat ( however close) threatens no one, why would anyone object. I just cant see the issue. I and my wife and kids have anchored close to boats with complete families who are nude. we have swum and sunbathed onboard nude ( And god knows Im nothing to look at). There is no exhibitionism, nothing overt and its a common occurrence around us and in many places in the Med.

Sure , we or anybody else arent going to walk down the main street in Nice, naked, that is entering into the politics of naturism. Equally local laws and ordinances control those that prefer to be naked, and do exert a degree of control.

Keep you peculiar inhibitions about this issue at home, better yet , stay at home.

Dave
We have anchored all year in the Med and it is difficult to remember some place where there was no nudity on board the boat including ours.
My original point and the one I still make is when it is clearly exhibitionism.

It is the only place we have been where my wife did not want to be in the cockpit for fear of what she would see. Yes we did move but why should we have had to!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:21   #246
CLOD

Boat: none

I wonder how many posters aren't worried about being nude because they know others would only look once
Old 11-10-2013, 04:22   #247

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

If it was done specifically to attract your attention, surprise, or shock you, or others who might see I agree that is inappropriate and inconsiderate.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:42   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
A woman was standing in a supermarket queue talking on her cellphone. She wasn't speaking English. When she had finished than man in front of her rudely told her that she should speak English. "Pardon me?" said the lady. Very slowly the man says "this is America, here we speak English, if you want to speak Mexican go back to Mexico". The lady replied, "I was speaking Navajo, if you want to speak English go back to England".
Quite possibly the best thing I've read in a long time
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:00   #249

The really big question is, why would anybody nude shock someone else. Its the crap we have been taught by parents and others that had all sorts of personal hang ups.
My wife reminds me that in some cultures women don't dare show a bare ankle. We all have the same form, more or less and its really too bad that some of us have learned to be ashamed of our bodies. A child watches us real close, if we react in a negative way to nudity the child will do the same, if we don't seem to notice the child doesn't notice nor care either.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:29   #250

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

And on a related note I just saw a story on HLN about an off Broadway play entitled "The Weiner Monologues" - The story of Anthony Weiner....
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:46   #251

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

FWIW, I've found most Australians seem a little more comfortable with topless beaches than Americans. So what is it about Americans? And where on earth do we get off on telling others what to do? It's exactly like the ultra-conservative Muslims saying our women are whores because of how we dress, and that certainly annoys us. So, maybe, at bottom, (sorry guys) what we have here is a culture shock sort of issue, wherein we merely need to make the assumption that the other guy has different basic values. [I] This is not a sin; it's life.[I]

I don't think it's like playing music too loud to go nude. The noise isn't the only issue, it's the sense of invasion that is really offensive: you're forcing yourself in my territory, and that is reportedly how someone felt about someone else's nudity. None of us are the world's mum & dad to enforce cultural norms, we might get off our high poop decks and do something useful.
Ann
Old 11-10-2013, 07:52   #252

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Talking Re: Naked sailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airshac View Post
Loud music annoys YOU because it's loud. Who cares what you think about the music I listen to on my boat. Or the curry I rub on my naked body.
I object to the abuse of good curry.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:53   #253

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
SImple nudity on a boat ( however close) threatens no one, why would anyone object.
Presumably it depends on how they interpret the action. If someone behaves in a way which breaks social conventions, you don't know what mad thing they're going to do next so you'll probably feel uneasy. My thought and the thought of many other posters is that "clothing optional" is the standard social convention amongst med cruisers. Being naked is not contravening the rules of that "society", so you have no reason to worry that they're about to break any other rules (like stealing your children or peeing on your shoes or putting Jason Donovan on the stereo for non-ironic purposes).

If someone interprets nakedness in the context of the English home counties rather than that of med cruisers they might well feel threatened.

Nostrodamus is saying that his Germans were performing actions deliberately designed to draw attention to their genitals for the purposes of their own sexual gratification. I believe he is saying that as children were watching, that made them party to these mens' sexual activity which is unacceptable.

I wouldn't criticise the final reasoning but I do strongly suspect that he may have misjudged these mens' intentions. Other postings he has made on the YBW site show that he is especially sensitive to male nudity. Was the Frenchman who anchored too close with no clothes on being an exhibitionist? The nakedness seemed to be an issue there too. I wonder if nostrodamus is just too quick to see bad intent where none exists. He did mention that it may be a consequence of his work with abused children.

One thing I'm not clear on. I could understand why female exhibitionism is not be a problem for Nostrodamus if it were just him and Mrs. N. He's thinking in hetrosexual terms, sees the "threat" as being directed at him, and it's one he feels able to turn down and is therefore in control of. However he says his principle concern is children and obviously women can be abusers too, so surely an equal threat exists?
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:08   #254

When I'm in tropical weather I rarely wear clothes. I am easy on the eyes though. 6'4 240 lbs of USMC built steel.
Blue Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:19   #255

You can be nude if you want but don't get bent when I pull out the binocs to gaze at your wife.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing