Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2010, 19:38   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 15,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Barnie: the maxi tri's that I see going fast only have their leeward ama in the water ;-) I'm not even sure because they are gone before I can get a good look... I have seen one doing 11 knots in not even 8 knots wind.
I would love one for a cruiser. Just to try out. This season our anchorage was nearly 50% cats, and a couple of tris too. So, at least on this side of the pond, cruisers seem to be looking more and more towards multis.

I have seen the Dragonfly and liked it. Many say 'too narrow', but I don't like the modern, super beamy interiors, so maybe a tri is something for (the future) me.

b.
__________________

__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 20:53   #77
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,016
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
The graph does go vertical indeed.
The nice thing about CF is anyone can spout...Bull crap
Wow. Really?!? A graph is posted and you say it "vertical"? That graph is totally damning to the arguments presented by the armchair sailors here. It's anything but vertical at the hull speed of that boat. Indeed it shows tahr the power required for transitioning thru hull speed is a continuous function. Not some kind of dicontinuity or wall. It both proves my point and confirms reality. Thanks.

Sheesh!
__________________

__________________
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 10:44   #78
Senior Cruiser
 
Randyonr3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
The graph does go vertical indeed.

The nice thing about CF is anyone can spout anything they like. Readers believing it is something entirely different. If someone were to tell me they have the perfect 12 knot 30 foot monohull, I'll say that's nice and ignore any post they ever make.

Prove a 360 mile day and I'll believe you. Until then ...

Bull crap
No One said that they had done a 360 mile day.. so get over it.. all that was was posted was a question concerning a 360 day and if in the right conditions, could it be done...
The answer was Yes, I believe so.. Reason being that I myself have looged a 280 mile day and did it with ease with the wife and I sailing from San Francisco to Avalon Harbor.. Dirring this trip I often saw 14 and at times 16.. I have no doubt that with an experenced crew and in the right conditions, a 300 mile day is reality and a 360 mile day is possible..
And again, I used the right conditions..
__________________
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 10:48   #79
Senior Cruiser
 
Randyonr3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Posts: 1,836
A "Bumble Bee" cannot fly, Thousands of hours have proven that it is impossible for a Bee to hover or fly......It just cannot be done..
Its all BS..........
__________________
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 11:11   #80
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
A "Bumble Bee" cannot fly, Thousands of hours have proven that it is impossible for a Bee to hover or fly......It just cannot be done..
Its all BS..........
Or would that be, "Bee S*#T"?
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 11:27   #81
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,256
important difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
A "Bumble Bee" cannot fly, Thousands of hours have proven that it is impossible for a Bee to hover or fly......It just cannot be done..
Its all BS..........
The difference between the bumble bee's flight seeming to defy the laws of aerodynamics and Randy being able to exceed hull speed lies in the fact that hull speed, from its inception, is a "rule of thumb" formula, not a physical law. Further, hull speed should not be seen as a constant such as the speeds of light or sound. It's just a rule of thumb, one which we've already been informed is considered irrelevant in modern marine architecture.

To insist that anyone who is exceeding theoretical hull speed is, de facto, planing, is to misunderstand the nature of hull speed as a rule of thumb formula.

Parenthetically, to insist that those participating in this discussion are "armchair sailors" is equally misguided.
__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 11:57   #82
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 29,906
Images: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
A "Bumble Bee" cannot fly, Thousands of hours have proven that it is impossible for a Bee to hover or fly......It just cannot be done..
Its all BS..........
Perhaps you'd be prepared to share the alleged proof that bumblebees can't fly.

It's a wonderful old piece of urban folklore (pure bullshit) that the flight of the bee is impossible by the laws of physics.

The "science has proved that bees can't fly" urban myth originated in a 1934 book by entomologist Antoine Magnan, who discussed a mathematical equation by Andre Sainte-Lague, an engineer. The equation proved that the maximum lift for an aircraft's wings could not be achieved at equivalent speeds of a bee. I.e., an aeroplane the size of a bee, moving as slowly as a bee, could not fly. Although this did not mean a bee can't fly (which after all does not have stationary wings like the posited teensy aircraft), nevertheless the idea that Magnan's book said bees oughtn't be able to fly began to spread.

It spread at first as a joke in European universities, at Sainte-Lague's & Magnan's expense. But later it became a "fact" among the gullible or the uneducated not smart enough to get the joke. Later still it became a "fun" experiment to develop complex mathematical theories both to explain how insects fly, or why they can't - scientific intellectual sophism.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 12:16   #83
Senior Cruiser
 
Randyonr3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Perhaps you'd be prepared to share the alleged proof that bumblebees can't fly.

It's a wonderful old piece of urban folklore (pure bullshit) that the flight of the bee is impossible by the laws of physics.

The "science has proved that bees can't fly" urban myth originated in a 1934 book by entomologist Antoine Magnan, who discussed a mathematical equation by Andre Sainte-Lague, an engineer. The equation proved that the maximum lift for an aircraft's wings could not be achieved at equivalent speeds of a bee. I.e., an aeroplane the size of a bee, moving as slowly as a bee, could not fly. Although this did not mean a bee can't fly (which after all does not have stationary wings like the posited teensy aircraft), nevertheless the idea that Magnan's book said bees oughtn't be able to fly began to spread.

It spread at first as a joke in European universities, at Sainte-Lague's & Magnan's expense. But later it became a "fact" among the gullible or the uneducated not smart enough to get the joke. Later still it became a "fun" experiment to develop complex mathematical theories both to explain how insects fly, or why they can't - scientific intellectual sophism.
Gord,
you've been on the hard to long..... Maybe some white sandy beaches and a bottle of rum...
__________________
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 12:19   #84
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 8,869
Or.... Bee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for some more info ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 14:00   #85
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 29,906
Images: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Gord,
you've been on the hard to long..... Maybe some white sandy beaches and a bottle of rum...
You hit the 'post' button; I check the facts. Your facts, and the implication are wrong!
Ergo: I need a holiday.

If you believe what you said (in your last 2 posts), give yourself an IQ test; but be prepared for a failing grade.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 23:42   #86
Registered User
 
Stillraining's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
But later it became a "fact" among the gullible or the uneducated not smart enough to get the joke. Later still it became a "fun" experiment to develop complex mathematical theories both to explain how insects fly, or why they can't - scientific intellectual sophism.

Sort of like Evolution..
__________________
"Go simple, go large!".

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 09:08   #87
Senior Cruiser
 
Randyonr3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You hit the 'post' button; I check the facts. Your facts, and the implication are wrong!
Ergo: I need a holiday.

If you believe what you said (in your last 2 posts), give yourself an IQ test; but be prepared for a failing grade.
Ya Gord,
You need to freggin lighten up guy... It was all in Jokeing Gord... Sometimes I think you do more damage to this forum than you do good...and you are deffinatly wound to tight...
__________________
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 09:10   #88
Senior Cruiser
 
Randyonr3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You hit the 'post' button; I check the facts. Your facts, and the implication are wrong!
Ergo: I need a holiday.

If you believe what you said (in your last 2 posts), give yourself an IQ test; but be prepared for a failing grade.
and the facts are, i didnt hit the "Post" button, I hit the "Reply" button, so your facts are wrong!
__________________
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 09:47   #89
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Boat: Newport 28
Posts: 136
I like Gord's posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Ya Gord,
You need to freggin lighten up guy... It was all in Jokeing Gord... Sometimes I think you do more damage to this forum than you do good...and you are deffinatly wound to tight...
Personally, I really like Gord's comments. Sometimes these threads spin way out into the ozone, and it's nice when someone occaisionally calls "bullsh!t" on the "beesh*t". Maybe it's my inner scientist, but I tend to like facts and reallity.

Cleared a foot of snow off the boat last weekend. Time to start transitioning from white fluffy frozen water fun to wet water fun!
__________________
Alaska: We're here, because we're not all there!
AK_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 10:01   #90
Senior Cruiser
 
nautical62's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Live Iowa - Sail mostly Bahamas
Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Posts: 2,147
Images: 11
Charles Kanter writes about hull speed and the basic formula quite a bit in his book: "Cruising in Catamarans" A point he makes is that the formula isn't really 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length, but rather a K value for that hull times the square root of the water line length. 1.34 is a commonly accepted K value for many cruising monohulls, but problems arise when people use 1.34 for hulls having very different K values including catamarans.

He for example suggests the following K values for some other boats (p74)

Alden 72: 3.9, giving a hull speed of 10.8
Bristol 60: 3.6 giving a hull speed of 9.07
Island Pack 32: 2.5 with a hull speed of 7.4

I believe the K value is largely a function of hull width to length, shape and displacement. Adding or subtracting weight will change the K value.

Obviously things like planning, surfing, and aid from current can cause SOG to exceed hull speed.
__________________

__________________
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hull speed

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speed Statistics of Mono vs Twin Hull Cruisers VikingCat Multihull Sailboats 44 02-10-2009 04:03
Ensenada Cheap Bottom Jobs Are a Myth! mrcottonsparrot Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 23-09-2009 15:49
Log Speed vs GPS [SOG] Speed? Sandyh Navigation 57 07-06-2009 23:22
maximum hull speed for cat Nauti Cat Seamanship & Boat Handling 6 30-09-2008 16:31
Catamaran Hull Speed JusDreaming Multihull Sailboats 6 15-08-2007 20:17


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.