Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 16:33   #16
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
also think about line stretch, if the furler line stretches 5 % over 25 feet thats 1.25 feet of line that is slacking, which one an empty drum which is about 2 inches thats about 2.5 turns of the furler. now the compounding factor in this is drum size, most furler lines i see are 5/16, not 3/8 or 1/2 inch so they do stretch. then when the sail is rolled up is about 4 inches across, or so thats 30 inches of sail that can come undone
My furler line is Spectra low stretch which only stretches 0.8% at 15% of breaking strength. I left my headsail on for Tropical Storm Fay two weeks ago and she had 60 knot winds for 24 hours. I had no problems with my furler or jib. The jib was furled real tight and 5 wraps of sheets kept it very much in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Are there furlers made that have a pin in them? I would want one. But even if pinned below I imagine the upper portion could get "unwound" a little no matter what.............hmmmmm.
I stripped the boat for Hanna as I would for anything with predicted hurricane force winds.

Overall, Hanna could have been a whole lot worse. I'm glad a jib was the worst damage anyone suffered.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:57   #17

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I decided not to strip Sunspot Baby in prep for Hanna because the winds were not too high. I did however wrap halyards around my furling head sails several times and cinched them down. Just a little extra insurance against the wind.

We saw winds just over 50 kts ans she has come through that often.

Any higher and we would have stripped her as we have done for several storms.

We are fortunate that our marina does not require boats to leave in anticipation of a tropical storm or hurricane and we have a nice wide slip so we can "spider web" her out.

Scotty, I'm glad you made it OK. Your plan seems pretty good and would probably worked just fine if you had started a little earlier.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:20   #18

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
As i read the first part I really felt for you out of control, almost, and in tight waters, and you knew what could happen. Well Done for avoiding the worst option.
Is there a way to temporary raising a sock UP the self furler? (Sunscreen as well.)
I mentioned elsewhere that I'd like to take the furler down when storm forecast but got told off for going forward in rough weather. My concerns were partly windage and weight aloft but also because I'd heard of the edges being opened up as you described. It's a problem I've now got to re-address again.
Very relieved all turned out well for you. The slightest thing can turn a run for shelter into an event. You had the wit to respond well which, I guess, comes of a cool mind and experience. Well Done. Don't tell the wifey how scared you were!! Just to busy coping to let on I guess. That's what makes heroes out of ordinary folk!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:43   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I've seen some sailors use a snatch block on a spare halyard to lift one of the genoa sheets up in the air so it will wrap pretty far up the forestay. The other sheet is allowed to wrap downward. You need to have quite a bit of extra furling line available to wrap a lot of sheet around the sail.

You get a pretty secure situation that way, but nothing like just removing the sail!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:49   #20

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I guess with the Prout rear mast my only option really is to put a secound halyard in to haul the self-furl up. That way I can lower and drag back to the cockpit without leaving the cockpit too much. I don't expect forcasts to be accurate or on time so the plan is to make the boat safe and accept some loss of performance when the winds are strong (and the sea is unkindly) and get the best of the fair weather.
Tips like lifting the genoa sheets to wrap the furled sail much higher are what this forum is all about. Thanks to all you helpers et al.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:09   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
I guess the lesson I leaned here is to make your plans, and then add some extra time in case you or the predictions are wrong. I went down to New Bern Thursday to get our boat ready for the storm. I also wanted to get our second house battery installed. With a 2.5 hour drive, I always try and get something done each trip!

I had the sails down, and double bow lines with chafe gear on by Thursday night, but I did not get the stern lines doubled, nor a few other items, like removing the BBQ, lifesling, etc. Friday morning, I asked the dockmaster when he thought that the rain would come. He answered noon, so I drove into town to WM to buy the cable lugs needed to get the second batter installed. When I arrived back at the marina, it was 10:45am, and the winds were picking up, and there was thunder in the dirstance.

I worked on the battery as the rain started, and then got the rest of my boat in order, and even helped with a neighboring boat who's owner did not come to do any storm prep. I really needed another hour to be able to finish all of the work before rain and wind came. Now it was not much rain, nor wind, but if it had been, the work would have been much harder. I did get soaked twice before I put on my foulies. So moral is do the safety stuff first, and leave extra time for contingencies and whatnot. I tend to be too literal in my planing, and that is not always good.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:00   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I've seen some sailors use a snatch block on a spare halyard to lift one of the genoa sheets up in the air so it will wrap pretty far up the forestay. The other sheet is allowed to wrap downward. You need to have quite a bit of extra furling line available to wrap a lot of sheet around the sail.

You get a pretty secure situation that way, but nothing like just removing the sail!

Question.

If one figures to leave the genoa furled (extra wraps, tight, etc) and then it is too strong a wind and the genoa should be off and stowed, it cannot be done unless unfurled and removed right?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:14   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Question.

If one figures to leave the genoa furled (extra wraps, tight, etc) and then it is too strong a wind and the genoa should be off and stowed, it cannot be done unless unfurled and removed right?
Right.

Better safe than sorry if you are expecting insane conditions.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:20   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Right.

Better safe than sorry if you are expecting insane conditions.

So if one is on a passage and things keep deteriorating at a rate not expected one is screwed right?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:29   #25
cruiser

Quote:
So if one is on a passage and things keep deteriorating at a rate not expected one is screwed right?
This is where debates of roller vs. hank on sails come in.

With the roller furler, on a passage, you would reef and possibly fly a small hank on storm sail (if equipped) or just furl the genoa in to leave a little "wash cloth" out there.

Gets to be complicated depending on the setup of the boat.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 14:27   #26

Boat: Sceptre 41
I aksed this question on ssca board and got a wide variety of answers. Most of them very adamant. Some people said get it off anytime a sotrm is predicted (but did not define storm). Some said that it was too dangerous to take a sail down in anything over 25 knots (In SF that means you could not lower your jib very often) Others said to leave it up and make sure that it was wrapped tight. My conclusion is that you need to do what makes you comfortable. I live 2.5 hour drive from my boat. I take my jib off everytime I leave the boat. Here is my logic It isn't that hard to put the sail up when we go sailing and at the earliest it would take me 2.5 hours to get to the boat to fix somehting. On passage I have a cutter rig I am trying to get a jib bag so that I can leave the hanked on storm staysail on and roll the jib up then put up the storm stays'l. Whatever you do make sure that you furl the jib tight if you leave it up. BTW Here is the link to the SSCA. Some very good comments worth a read. SSCA Discussion Board :: View topic - Furler in a Gale

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 14:49   #27
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Scotty,

Glad to hear things worked out in the end. Sometimes this sailing stuff spanks us, but hopefully we learn from it.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote