Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2008, 08:17   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
MY SAILING ANNIVERSARY

In 93 I was #141 in the Baja Haha, or maybe #142? I single-handed from S.F. Ca. to Cabo as a rookie. I had for 18 months taken Frolic out in every weather nearly the bay threw at me week in & week out. We all know how it is when people don't show up for a sail. At first I would sit on the boat & eat my lunch alone.

Soon I tired of that, so I started going out alone. I would practice gybing for hours in 30+ knot winds. I would practice changing head sails for the sole knowledge of becoming efficient. I studied the current & tide diligently. I read everything I could find, and most if was of mayhem & destruction.

Eventually I left alone thinking I was prepared. The bay is a hard knocks school, but the ocean will beat you down with a club. I had a lot of second thoughts going out the Gate the day before Thanksgiving, and some of it was FEAR. What I feared most was to stay on the bay, and not explore.

I learned a lot on that trip to Cabo. I sailed around Point Conception in 50+ mph winds with a scrap of cloth. One day I did 139 miles with a dbl reef, and a 135 headsail. That was sweet! I was later thrown across the salon, and had my head split open. When I pulled in to Turtle Bay several peoples eyes went wide seeing the scab on my head.

Once again farther south I was thrown off the boat, and drug back up onto the boat before I hit the water by my harness. This left me stuck in one position for nearly a day. My back really hurt. All of this due to my autopilot.

I made it to Cabo, and eventually sailed to PV with my wife. A year later I sailed back to Cabo with a friend. I was divorced by then. I ran into some problems, so I left the boat to later return.

Again I was alone, and left Cabo. About 20 miles out the new autopilot once again stopped. I thought I could hand steer to Magdellena, and fix the auto. I was on a mission to get home. I steered for nearly 2 days, and on approaching Mag Bay I fell asleep. The surf woke me in time to keep me safe.

I couldn't fix the a.p., so I headed back to Cabo steering by hand. This time it was easy I wasn't beating into 20-25 knots of wind. There was practically no wind at all, and I could tie off the tiller to cook, and nap.

I flew home, and months later returned with 2 friends. Again the a.p. died leaving Cabo. I was willing to turn back, but my friends said no. We lost the motor at Mag Bay, but continued on. We got as far as San Quintin, and my friends needed to return home. We all caught a bus to San Diego, and I returned to Frolic with a head gasket, and various parts. Motoring, and I was off once again.

I made it to San Diego, and I myself ran out of time. I left the boat there to return several months later, and got her to L.A. Once again leaving her for a month I returned getting her to Santa Barbara.

Several months later I returned. I motored out of S.B., and I swear Frolic could smell home. We rounded Point Conception once again. Only the seas were flat, and a pair of dolphins came to frolic with Frolic. There wasn't a zephyr of wind between S.B. & S.F. as we motored along. After 52 hours of motoring out of S.B. we went under the Golden Gate. It was dusk, and the western sky was becoming a beautiful red sunset.

As we approached the east side of the bridge. I went to the bow, and started dancing. I took pictures of my thumb up, and the bridge in the background. I whooped, and hollered as my eyes filled with tears of joy. WE WERE HOME! All those tourist looking down at me from the bridge must have thought me mad.

13 years ago today. It seems like an eternity at times. Sometimes it feels as though it was last week. Halloween always means for me those minutes of dancing on the bow, and thanking those who mentally supported me.

Next to seeing my son at his birth was healthy. This was the second happiest moment of my life. I have known from that moment on. That that trip would just be the beginning:cubalibre......i2f....HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY!

PICS
1) Frolic & I going under the gate about to turn left
2) The dolphins on my return at Point Conception
3) Frolic in Puerta Vallarta with my ex at the shrouds
4) Imagine doing 12knots with the wind on the quarter 2 years ago off of the Florida coast with dolphions dancing at her bows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OUT THE GATE & LEFT.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	5713   Click image for larger version

Name:	FROLICING.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	5714  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FULL SAIL 1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	5715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagine bow & dolphin.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	5716  

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 09:10   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Impressive story, congrats!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 10:11   #3

Happy Anniversary Imagine2Frolic...!! Great story and thanks for sharing.. The images are absolutely terrific. I have not started sailing as of yet. That is why I am here to get the wonderful information that is on the board. Hopefully, be able to share one day. I will have to share my first day's experience when it happens. Wish me luck!
cedric.02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 10:23   #4
Eternal Member

Thanks to you both. When your first day does come. Take small steps, and work your way diligently honing your skills.....i2f
Old 31-10-2008, 10:48   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hey thanks for the story I2F. It is a pick me up as I set back to work after taking Ohana down the coast from SF leaving her in SD for a few months.I am very impressed with your gri and determination to get the boat dow the coast and back.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 00:14   #6

Great story I2F! Thanks!

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:47   #7

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Happy Anniversary !

Great story.

Quote:
When your first day does come. Take small steps, and work your way diligently honing your skills.....i2f
Excellent advice.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:10   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Happy anniversary I2F and thanks for the story.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:49   #9

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Happy Anniversary!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:28   #10

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
13 years and still going. Happy Anniversary.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:43   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
It’s funny how you only remember the good parts….. (LOL)

Your reminisces bring back so many similar memories, little things that mean a lot and a coming of age at sea that confirms that…despite our many weaknesses….you have the right stuff!

Here’s to meeting you in the Philippines one day…my friend!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:33   #12

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Thanks for sharing. Happy Anniversary, and hopeful for many more to come!

I enjoyed reading your story.
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:44   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Great story...great adventure. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 17:58   #14

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Good read thanks for posting it..just goes to show you your never over prepared are you.

Also puts a mental picture in the brain that Im getting old...I beter hurry up and get out there befor I break to easily.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:22   #15
Eternal Member

Still raining,

I was 43 when I returned to S.F. with out a boat for a short time. I felt I had to hurry, because of age also. Then I met a man in his mid 70's that took me sailing, because I had no boat. It was blustery, and he did everything. He just wanted me to sit back, and relax. After meeting this man I lost the urgency to get back out there immediatley.

Then there's Harry on the Tahitian ketch still sailing into his 80's. After nearly 20 years with no mentor. I have finally gotten one, and he sails a 51ft ketch single-handed at 75. I am just taking it a day at a time for now......lololololol