Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2016, 02:52   #1

Question My perfect sail boat for RTW cruising

Hey all,

new here, not a sailor/cruiser yet, but planning to become one. I'm based in Germany which is not the best place to find what I am looking for, therefore I address the international community.

As I said, I'm not a sailor yet, though have invested a substantial amount of time into this from reading all kinds of books on ocean voyages, especially of the extremer kind, John Voss for example, or Robert Manry and Gerry Spiess, although small boat ocean crossings to prove something isn't exactly what I'm up to, my interest in this had been more or less armchair traveling and seeing what's possible.

Basically I'm writing here to air some thoughts on my next-to-perfect boat get some feedback and hopefully some new ideas.

Alright, so here comes some core-info:

• Boat should sail 2 people/2 people and a kid
  • Simplicity with a focus on longterm minimization of cost are key - luxuries don't mean much to us, when this means sailing or not, e.g. we don't need a build-in toilet
  • Detachable Outboard motor, if motor at all
  • Simple rig, only one mast to be sailed singlehanded, if necessary
  • Shallow draft, for beaching and ease of maintenance
  • "Seaworthiness" as in the concept of watertight bulkheads and other safety measures
  • A "good value" used boat, budget rather lower 5 digit numbers, willing and able to do repairs and overhaul to a certain degree but a complete DIY build is out of question to to lack of (inexpensive) building space

All in all, my current position is that this rules out most monohulls with built-in engine, so I figured a Catamaran would be perfect except for the lack of one big cabin in smaller cats.

Alternatively, I stumbled upon the Bolger AS29 sharpie when I researched upscaled versions of Matt Layden's very interesting microcruiser designs which employ the concept of a flat bottom with chine runners making a keel obsolete.

So, long story short. I wonder what the community thinks of all this ...

Cheers!
simonadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 03:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: My perfect sail boat for RTW cruising

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Simon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 03:42   #3

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Pardon my bluntness, but this sounds a bit like "someone who never rode a bicycle trying to invent a bicycle" to me.

If I were you, I'd get myself an el-cheapo old plastic boat, perhaps a trailerable one, for low 4 digits and hit the water. It's May, so timing is perfect, assuming you are in the Northern hemisphere. Cruise local waters for a couple of seasons, join a racing fleet, meet other sailors, crew for someone who knows what they are doing, etc.

I guarantee that by the time you've done all that, your idea of "perfect RTW boat" will change dramatically.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 03:49   #4
vjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Pardon my bluntness, but this sounds a bit like "someone who never rode a bicycle trying to invent a bicycle" to me.

If I were you, I'd get myself an el-cheapo old plastic boat, perhaps a trailerable one, for low 4 digits and hit the water. It's May, so timing is perfect, assuming you are in the Northern hemisphere. Cruise local waters for a couple of seasons, join a racing fleet, meet other sailors, crew for someone who knows what they are doing, etc.

I guarantee that by the time you've done all that, your idea of "perfect RTW boat" will change dramatically.
Spot on. Once you have some experience you will know what you have to have, can't live with, and are willing to tolerate or change. Right now, you are making decisions based on other people's experiences, prejudices, and preferences.

Go have a ball sailing, take some basic classes, buy a cheap and easy day sailor, and go from there. Definitely hang onto that list, but add to it or subtract from it as time goes by.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 05:03   #5

Boat: no boat any more

couldn't agree more with this. after 3 circumnavigations I don't know what "the ideal boat" is...
if you buy a boat: buy a run-of-the-mill-one (never a "white elephant"!!!) - 'cause you might want to sell it soon...
On our trips we have met many "cruising -couples" but very few for whom it really was "the life" - keep that in mind
BTW: having been around once with a bucket-&-chuck-it toilet: if you have a lady accompanying you...-you might want to reconsider....
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 05:29   #6

No such thing as the ideal boat. Some come close but until you have experience on many boats you will never know which one.
One of my favorite all time boats dropped off the potential boat list as soon as I sailed one. A boat that has even been suggested in a book - 20 boats to sail anywhere or something like that.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 05:33   #7

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I like the AS sharpies, but they were never designed as offshore boats. At least one AS 39 has crossed the atlantic, but probably best as a coastal boat until you work out whats what.

The wharram cats are a good design that are simple and seaworthy.

Comments like one mast so its easy to singlehand show your inexperience.

I agree with all the above comments about getting a small modest boat first to learn in.

There is so much that can't be learned from reading or video. It has to be learned by doing it.

Perfect is different for everyone, and perfect doesnt really exist. Only a series of imperfect compromises that hopefully result in a boat that works well for your style of sailing.
Old 19-05-2016, 05:34   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: My perfect sail boat for RTW cruising

Take a look at the Iroquois Mk2 and Catalac 9 catamarans or the Heavenly Twins 26 with 2 aft doubles + salon.. for the centre cabin cats.. no headroom tho'.. if you really want simple then Wharram Tiki is the way to go.. though I'd design an aerodynamic drop sprayhood for centre deck shelter rather than a rigid pod structure.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 08:12   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:

This in every particular. You can have my old boat for "cheap": 1973 Ontario Yachts Viking 33 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

as we've upgraded to a boat that is being outfitted to take two adults and a teen RTW:
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 09:19   #10

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38

I'll second Snowpetrels suggestion re the Wharram cats. We just sailed ours from Cape Town to Caribbean. If you can find a good one that is built to plan, it will tick all the boxes in your core-info. Best of luck
windandwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 09:37   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Where is that video of the Brit who bought an inexpensive boat and cruised down the ICW to Fl?
Try something like that, that will give you an idea anyway, I believe he did it for almost free by the time he sold the boat, not counting travel costs to the US and back

Amazing what Google will find

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 09:49   #12

Boat: MacGregor/Venture 25

Quote:

I've been researching for about a year now, and I've anticipated this exact advice. Bought a boat a couple months ago and will be sailing local water for a couple years. After that, take a couple courses, crew on a few voyages all before buying my retirement home/boat and sailing off into the sunset/sunrise depending.
Mtngeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 10:17   #13

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

I got the perfect boat for you right here at the Greek Islands the famous westerly CENTAUR 26 draft 1 meter very well taken care of I can send you pics and video one mast build under Lloyd supervision extra good for family safety and single handed Fully equipped with AIS radar autopilot wind instruments fish finder and many solar panels for electricity
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 10:31   #14

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Or... Google up Webb Chiles. Currently on his 6th circumnavigation in a Moore 24. Chiles' choice of vessel makes the Pardey's boats look like 50' yachts. Take a look at the other boats he has sailed. They will fire up the armchair adventurer in you. You can go around in anything. And believe me, I've seen some of the "anythings" that are out here and I do mean anything. But... before your armchair dreams get too specific, follow the advice already given and just get something cheap to learn on. You would not be the first dreamer turned doer that realized... "Man, I don't wanna do this after all!" Boat yards are already too full of those broken dreams. I wish you good luck in your venture!
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 10:48   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Where is that video of the Brit who bought an inexpensive boat and cruised down the ICW to Fl?
Try something like that, that will give you an idea anyway, I believe he did it for almost free by the time he sold the boat, not counting travel costs to the US and back

Amazing what Google will find

I think he is a member of the forum, that or just another crazy Brit

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: smacksman
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sail