Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2013, 17:27   #1

Boat: Capital Newport 30
My New Oold Boat Arrives!

Took delivery from the previous owner of my Newport 30. Birthed at St. Pete Muni. AC/Heat, Refrigeration, Good hull, rigging and sails. No interior so that's the project part. Looking forward to getting at it. Moving aboard middle of next month. Will post pics as I progress. If your in the marina stop by and say hello.
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1045090_10151873902206508_207896031_n.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	67456  
jcknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 17:34   #2

Boat: Shopping...
Re: My new old boat arrives!

Congratulations Jeff

Nice looking boat!

Marc
Old 20-09-2013, 07:15   #3

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/photo...36443666026189
Old 20-09-2013, 12:17   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: My new old boat arrives!

Congratulations!

Of the 30s it has one of the largest interiors I've experienced.
Old 20-09-2013, 13:08   #5

Boat: C&C Newport 41
Re: My New Oold Boat Arrives!

i am in the middle of a refit on my newport 41.

you can get a lot of C&C oem equipment @

HMP Online Catalog

gl.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 14:10   #6

As the interior appears now. Thanks for the tip on the catalog.
Jeff
Old 22-09-2013, 14:27   #7

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Congratulations...she looks good inside.....that will be a enjoyable project....besides, if things get to going rough , it looks like a BBQ grill on the aft starboard rail....

Enjoy

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 14:31   #8
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

looks like fun!
but i must admit, the limited inside hull access is worrying in that boat.
was it a mold insurance claim?
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 14:40   #9

Not that I know of. The guy I bought it from removed the interior due to wear in anticipation of a refit he ultimately decided he had no time for. The only mold I saw was behind the inside window frame I thought I had to remove to get the windows out Yup...dumbass. Glad I only removed the one. I thought I was going to have to do it all myself but we have a retired yacht carpenter and some others that could use the work living on the same dock. I had two guys remove, clean and re-bed all the cleats and stanchions yesterday. I bought new 4X8 sheet of smoked lexan and the windows will all be in early this week.
Old 22-09-2013, 14:42   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcknox View Post
Took delivery from the previous owner of my Newport 30. Birthed at St. Pete Muni. AC/Heat, Refrigeration, Good hull, rigging and sails. No interior so that's the project part. Looking forward to getting at it. Moving aboard middle of next month. Will post pics as I progress. If your in the marina stop by and say hello.
Jeff

Hey, Jeff, have fun with that project! Did you say you're going to live aboard her? What a luxury to be able to create EXACTLY the interior you want. I don't know any live-aboards who wouldn't change something major in their cabins. For me, it's the shelving designed for dishes. They have these cutesy cut-out shapes. I'm sure the shapes help keep the dishes from flying in a rough sea, but it also makes them really hard to get out and put away. I intend on cutting that away, and I'll put a lee cloth over it. I have some fabric left over from the upholstery. I think it will actually look pretty nice, if not unusual.

I have to work with what I've got, and I don't have carpentry skills.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 14:45   #11

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

If you don't mind sharing, what size (thick) sheet of smoked Lexan, cost, provider? This will be a project for me down the road as well.

Thanks

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 14:45   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcknox View Post
As the interior appears now. Thanks for the tip on the catalog.
Jeff
She looks like she's been well taken care of, but do you know how the interior came to be only partly finished? It doesn't matter, I was just wondering.

One of the things they did on my Hunter 31' to give the cabin more space was to shorten the cockpit. My cockpit is really pretty crowded for the first hour or so with four people in it. Then, all of a sudden everyone has it all figured out and we can get around without climbing on or kicking someone else.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 14:47   #13
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Hey, Jeff, have fun with that project! Did you say you're going to live aboard her? What a luxury to be able to create EXACTLY the interior you want. I don't know any live-aboards who wouldn't change something major in their cabins.
agreed! i would take out my 8 person settee, what a space waster. i would also make the kitchen bigger.

a blank slate, make sure you sit down and plan it on paper first.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 15:18   #14

Well kids here's the plan in a nut shell. I may be hurting the potential resale but that's way down on my list. My plan is to optimize this boat for cruising with two people and two people only. It will only sleep two because the V and quarter berth will be for storage of supplies. There will not even be cushions made for them. The head will be moved from the traditional location to the V in the V berth, think Cape Dory 25D. The current location of the head will be a giant hanging and drawer locker. The little cabinet that was opposite will be replicated and serve the original purpose. The berth we will have will through imagination and carpentry include both the settee to starboard and the dinette. My calculations revealed a nearly queen sized bed when set up! This was very important to Cherri because while she's game for the whole idea she insisted on a full size bed and I'm forced to agree. That's why this boat was a good option because it had been stripped to the liner when I bought it. I will be doing all the canvas and cushion work myself. I got the window material from Farco in Orlando. They have a location in Clearwater but didn't have the tint I wanted in stock and wanted to charge me $75 just to throw it on a truck that comes every day anyway I do a lot of work in Orlando and just stopped by when I was up there last week. I think the stock number was 7370. It's actually just about 3/16ths of an inch thick which I decided would be big enough to be stronger but without being too hard to work with. It cut quite nicely with a blade I found at Home Depot. Damn that was some nutshell huh?