Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 15:02   #16

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
Re: My Boat Compromises and Lessons Learned

Thank you for posting this.

Those of us still in the "planning" stage take great heart in hearing of someone who has gotten their boat and how they approached purchasing it.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 15:34   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

The buying approch taken by the OP represents, in my mind, an ideal approch. I think much can be learned from it. Is it right or wrong, I would have to say, "that depends". If you only have 2 years to go cruising then taking 2 years to find the perfect boat my be a little excessive. I am sure that the over all expencses of running around looking at boats and hiring inspectors and such has cost a fair amount. Maybe as much as some of our budgets. To the OP, I wish you and yours all the best, if I were a betting man, and I am not, I would guess that you are the type of person that leaves little to chance, and maybe a little overly detailed at times. Nothing wrong with that. If I would have had to follow you around for years to collect a commition as a broker, I probably would have blown my head off some were in the process. I am not a broker but I used to sell realestate so I can relate.

Good luck to you, and nice post. I am sure you have a very nice boat. Pic's would be nice.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 21:42   #18

I kind of wonder about the broker and the buyer. If I was the sellar reading this I would not be happy.

I just closed a deal on a boat it took me over a year to find.
different thought proccess.
Was my second boat first doesn't count realy i bought it cash for peanuts sold it for less peanuts. But I liked it. only a 24ft.
decided i wanted a bit bigger a bit more comfy. no leaks, no problems and decided to stick with a make I knew. 27ft maybee even a 30
budget bigger but still small and tight. 20k old and cheep.
Still cash I don't want a debt in the water.
looked at 70s old was to old. boats were cheep but looks like you cant givem away. looked at all near by. most to old and didn't like or to expensive.
saw one allmost just right price, sise, age, near by, good cond, but smelled damp found leak and all cusiond were damp. wifey said no way it smells.
gave up.
looked at internet kept dreaming. started thinking about smelly boat again. contemplated offer.
contacted a few brokers on internet.
Got polite responses from most ignored by a couple.
One boat allready sold.
One never answered any questions.
One was very vauge answeres only.
One was quite direct and I figured out not right boat.
Started asking about boats a little bit outside my budget.
One was very helpfull gave me good idea of condition of boat and owners expectations re price. saved me the bother of going to look. owner had already turned down offer more than my max.
broker tried to talke me into others but i knew what i wanted and what i didnt. no prob if he got the right type in at my budget give me a call.
Saw a listing many times didnt look to expensive.
Was getting ready to look at smelly boat again.
expensive boat listing said price reduced months ago.
sent email asking if likly to be an other price reduction.
got response no. but owner has already bought a bigger boat.
good time for agresive offer. HMM what does that mean.
Broker gave me idea of what boats had sold for over last 2 yr. all to high.
Broker answere all my questions gave me good advice
said Id make offer.
I made low offer about what smelly boat was asking.
about 2 weeks later we worked out a price. above my absoloute possible maximum no way I would excede budget.
broker recomended some surveyors. got an excellent surveyor.
I spent entire day with surveyor and broker.
Some issues were detected. lots of advice from surveyor on severity and how to fix.
more negotiation.
Now I own a boat.
Broker was Sellars Broker. But he treated me well. And got me to by the boat. all in all a pleasant transaction.
boats way bigger than intended and newer.
I expect I still have lessons to learn especialy about older boats.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:32   #19

Kudos to the OP for finding just the right boat for him. Some may think that spending two years finding a boat is excessive, but if it turns out to be the perfect boat for the next 20 years, then I'd say it was well worth it.

As for the whole thing with the deal the broker made... Yeah, I have to say that if I was the seller, and I found out about this kind of deal, I would be demanding some answers from the broker, as well as talking to my attorney and considering the possibility of a lawsuit.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote