Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2016, 08:23   #1

Must Read Books on Sailing

Well, at least, you Should read books. Here are three that some might consider valuable:
1. Herresoff, Halsy C.(consulting editor) The Sailor's Handbook, updated edition: a clear and comprehensive guide to sailing for pleasure and sport. 1983.

2. Buckley, William F. Airborne: a Sentimental Journey. 1976.
"Buckley at his most relaxed. The book chronicles a trans-Atlantic crossing under sail, starting with insuring that the ship is seaworthy, through picking the crew and plotting the course to the "mundane" aspects of a sea adventure. Along the way one has the rare chance to observe a crew interacting spontaneously. The use of the ship's log to aid in the revealing the details and even the thoughts of some of the shipmates make the story all the more enjoyable. By journey's end you feel like you know what it must be like to cross the mighty Atlantic under the power of sail. A surprisingly enjoyable read as you and Buckley glide towards Europe." from Amazon reviewer.
3. JJ Isler and Peter Isler. Sailing for Dummies. Comprehensive and well-illustrated presented in a way most everyone can understand.

I buy most of my books, used, through Amazon. Great selection and bargains. Abe Books is one of my favorites. Another great book store is Bluewater Books in Fort Lauderdale. Great selection of books, charts and assorted things related to boating.
dickfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 11:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30
Re: Must Read Books on Sailing

I too am a big user of ABE Books. It's located right here in Victoria.

The Cruise of the Snark by Jack London
Cruise of the Snark - AbeBooks

If you want to listen rather than read your books, go to Librivox.org. They've got a great selection of free audio books, particularly marine fiction:
https://librivox.org/search?primary_...rm=get_results
I have listened to hundreds of these. I strongly suggest Mutiny on the Bounty and Moby Dick. These are much better than any movie you've seen.

And of course someone wrote a darned good book on singlehanded sailing.
Old 21-04-2016, 15:40   #3

I ussed Armchaire Sailor in Newporte, RI, they gone nowe, tacken overe by Bluewatere I thick. I telle them what bookes I enjoied, they ussualley dha suggestiones. It wase a fun place.

TRy Race for Madmen if you havente reddit
snaggletooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 08:17   #4

Boat: TBD

Thanks for the tips. Been looking for a good starter book on sailing

Read Moby Dick in 1993 when I was on shore duty in the Navy, so glad I read that book. I also loved the Sea Wolf, now that I think of it I might read it again!
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 09:21   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Before I owned a sailboat, before I had ever been more than a passenger I was given "Annapolis Book of Seamanship" to read. It's basically like "Joy of Cooking" it assumes you don't know anything and starts with what the pointy end of a sailboat is called and it's purpose and goes on from there.

I read it while working slow midnight watches and it was an engaging book. There's a ton of books out there, but for some reason that's the one that got my interest and kept it.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 11:29   #6

I would say this little paper back is packed with interesting stuff... Sailing Illustrated

https://www.amazon.com/Royces-Sailin.../dp/0911284001
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, sail, sailing