Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2006, 18:39   #16

This guy is amazing…
Old 29-03-2006, 19:10   #17

I admit that man playing the ukelele, is very good!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2006, 06:39   #18

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Great tip on the Elixir strings... I'm off to buy a set for my 12-string today.

Old 30-03-2006, 08:02   #19

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Strings

On my tractor site amongst the list of things for using WD40 is guitar strings. Cleans and lubricates is wot is says.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2006, 11:35   #20

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
exposure once whispered in the wind:
Here is the answer for strings...

http://www.elixirstrings.com/

I lovethem. They have a light teflon coating that makes them last much longer. They also reduce friction and noise when moving up and down the fretboard.
I use these strings and have a couple of notes on them. They have a Goretex coating, not teflon, and they look like only the wound strings are coated, which leaves the B and E strings as plain steel. I could be wrong about this, since I can't get any info from the company's website on whether the entire set of strings is coated, but judging by appearences, it looks this way. I really like the way these strings feel. I am not a good player by any means, but I think these strings allow my fingers to move easier on them. They cost twice as much as other good strings, but in the scheme of things for such an amateur as myself, $15/year vs $7 really isn't a bank breaker. I just started using them this winter so haven't had them a season onboard yet, so I don't know whether they hold up better in that environment.

As for a guitar, I think I've found the best boat guitar: an old Applause AA14 from the 70's that I picked up on eBay. It has the composite body of all Ovation/Applause with a plastic neck and aluminum fretboard! The only wood is the soundboard. This thing NEVER goes out of tune due to temperature/humidity changes.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2006, 11:52   #21

You're right that Gore-Tex is the correct name. But, they are the same thing, PTFE. Gore-Tex is the WL Gore name and Teflon is a Dupont trade name. Either way it's good stuff.

I am using the "nanoweb" product and it feels to me like the high B and E strings are coated as the others are. I would think that they have to coat them to make the anti corrosion claims they do. The coating does wear off for me at the 1-5 frets where I play the most. It also gets kind of fuzzy where my nails pluck the strings. But they easily out last uncoated strings by a factor of 2-3 times.

Another cool guitar to consider is the Aria. It breaks down for size and uses headphones for silent practice. I have one that works well enough. The only down side for me is the 1-11/16" nut width which is narrower than I like. It's the standard width for most guitars, But I prefer a wider nut for fingerpicking.

Look at...

http://www.ariausa.com/titles/as/as.html

Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2006, 14:40   #22

Boat: San Juan 28 #160, Stormbringer
I play guitar, t-bone (+various low brass). I'm not planning on bring a tuba or anything like that on board, but I will bring my Martin Backpacker, and probably another acoustic. I was thinking about attaching some teak strips to the underside of the deck above the V-berth, and then suspending a net between them. The guitar would be easily accessable, and out of the way.

Another cool instrument is the
didgeridoo

It is basically a low drone, but you add other effects by humming while buzzing. Plus, just about any pipe can be used for this. We made some with 2" PVC pipe, wrapped with collored twine for decoration. The 'mouthpiece' was shaped out of beeswax. Not that you need a mouthpiece, but it was better than the sharp pvc edge.

There is also the Mbira or african thumb piano. Small, and very hypnotic. Only played one in an eclectic music store once, but it was fun and anyone could entertain themselves on it. I've heard it in concert with the Kora
and a Griot and I was absolutely spellbound.

I'm sure there are so-called primitive instruments from many custures that would hold up well on a boat, whether for short or extended cruises.

A friend who studied capoeira made me a Berimbau which would probably travel well too.
Old 03-04-2006, 15:03   #23

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
guitar?

Sorry I haven't been around but the new job cut out access to the forums.... New site layout- not caught by the websense filters yet!!!!! Oh yes!

Actaully, I purchased a $1 travel guitar off ebay.... let's just say it was a really expensive guitar pick that got shipped to me as the amalgamation of wood, wire and varnish could not be construed as a guitar except maybe in picture format. I got my refund....

Does the travel guitar have the same nice sound as a full size? The POC I got is sounds worse than a wash tub so I was hoping that real Martin would sound more than a little better.

I'm not sure about other instruments, a Sax might be good, the Tuba is out as is the drum set. I guess I'm partial to the wood winds and strings anyways.... A violin or fiddle would be good!
2divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 16:43   #24

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
A concertina (chosen instrument of sea chant fame) fits in a neat square box and can be learned with only some difficulty.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:49   #25

Boat: Full Moon (Island Trader 37)
How about some websites on concertina's?
"Moma has a squeeze box, Daddy plays it all night long" The Who - 197?
sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:13   #26

Boat: Cascade 42 Tabula Rasa
guitar strings at sea

It has been awhile since I last checked but a product called "Fast Fret" ,a string lubricant, used to be available at music stores and would help string life.
Steve K
Stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:05   #27

Squeeze Box from The Who. Written by Pete Townsend the guitarist for the band. I have that CD. The album was released originally back in 1975.

The album cover shows a crude drawing like one of those "dot-to-dot" drawings!!

I just happen to a very big fan of their music.

1. My Generation 1965
2. A Quick One (Happy Jack) 1966
3. The Who Sell Out 1967
4. Magic Bus 1968
5. Tommy 1969
6. Live At Leeds 1970
7. Who's Next 1971 - This album is by far their best seling album. Over half the album gets regular air play daily!!
8. Quadrophenia 1973
9. Odd & Sods 1974
10. The Who By Numbers 1975
11. Tommy (The Film Musical) 1975
12. Who Are You 1978 - Shortly after the release of this album they lost their original drummer. And whacky man Keith Moon. Replaced by Kenny Jones from The Faces fame.
13. The Kids Are Alright (Soundtrack) 1979
14. Quadrophenia (Soundtrack) 1980
15. Face Dances Part One 1981
16. It's Hard 1982 - (Last Full Studio Album) Followed by their 1982 North American farewell tour.

There were plenty of greatest hits albums that followed the last "studio" album. But I don't want to list those. But instead two of the band members (Pete Townsend & Rodger Daltrey) went on a solo career. And they produced lots of hits off from those albums.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote