Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2009, 17:27   #1

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Municipal marinas. Always the cheapest?

I have been pulling in municipal marinas when the option exists without checking prices. I'm stopping in St. Augustine tomorrow and the option is available again. So, what's the scoop?
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 17:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
By some strange coincidence I called St Augustine Municipal Marina (904 825-1026) today to check rates. Very nice gentleman answered the phone and quoted $19.95/ft/month plus $65/month for 30 amp electric service. He also quite frankly encouraged me to call Oyster Creek Marina where he thought the rates would be lower.

Did not ask about amenities but see on their web site that the MM offers free Wifi, cable TV $5.00/day. Details http://www.staugustinegovernment.com/visitors/MM_Rates.cfm

I called Oyster Creek (904 827-0520) who quoted $13.50/ft/month for long term. I think that was the rate short term or long term but not certain.

Could not find a web site for Oyster Creek.

Let me know how things go. I'm shopping for local dock space and St Augustine is the shortest straight line shot to the ocean from my house.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 19:26   #3

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I stayed at the St Augustine MM last month, very convenient location a couple of blocks from down town. Nice facilities with lots of historical sites, stores and restaurants nearby, a grocery store is about a mile away.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 23:58   #4

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Ouch.
Here in Corpus Christi, we pay 5.25/foot per month. 30 bucks more for 50 amp service plus metered.
No pool, but for those rates. I'll take it. Also for long term you pay for 10 months and get 2 free the first year, then after that pay for a year, get one month free.
pumpouts cost 5 bucks per.
6 bucks for a dock box.
Official web site for City of Corpus Christi, Texas

would love to go back to florida but couldn't afford it.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 02:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Oyster Creek Marina is for sale:

Oyster Creek Marina St. Augustine Florida

Oyster Creek Marina Amenities:
Charter Rental
Diesel Fuel
Dry Storage
Floating Docks
Gasoline
Groceries
Ice
Internet Access
Launch Ramp
Laundry
Maintenance Facilities
Medical Facilities w/in 5 miles
Picnic Area
Restrooms
Ship Store
Showers
Swimming Pool
More: Oyster Creek Marina St. Augustine, FL: Boating, make marina reservations & find dockage

Marinas and Anchorages - Saint Augustine Travel Guide - VirtualTourist.com

staugustine.com: Archive

BoatUS-Marinas: Cooperating Marina - Oyster Creek Marina

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 10:48   #6

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Well, it's 1.95/ft + 6 for power in case anyone's wondering.

I wouldn't get a monthly slip here. There are too many people wandering around the docks that are just sightseeing. Some people are ok but a steady train of tourists is annoying. Some people with a dog just stopped right in front of my boat to chat with some other tourists for about 10 minutes despite my dog going crazy and almost falling off the boat the whole time. That kind of stuff seems to happen much less at a normal private marina.
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 20:52   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Yikes. For sale at $18.5 milion? No wonder dock space costs so much in FL.

The listing shows 100 slips. If every slip is filled for 365 days per year with average 40' boat that is only $720,000/year income. If you paid no taxes, no salaries, no interest on the loan and paid 100% of the income against the cost that is over 25 years to pay off the 18.5 mill. Add in all the taxes, interest, operating costs, and a little profit and this place would take at least 50-60 years to pay off. Now I admit that I am not a marina manager nor a real estate magnate but that math does not really add up to me. Is there something about this business that I don't understand or is the seller trying to convince someone that this property will appreciate that much (in this market, right)?

Sorry for the thread drift but I was so stunned with the number I had to ask.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 16:28   #8

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
probably cause they will build condos on it once sold, and once again, another marina will be gone.
No one would pay that kind of price for just a marina I suspect.
But in this market, don't know if anyone will buy this at close to that price.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 17:18   #9

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Condos were to be built next to the marina property. From what I understand the condos the company built near Tampa with a marina attached have not sold. I have not heard but the sign for the future condos has been taken down and a small building used as a sales office has been rented. The building is used as Le Crepe Restaurant. I just dropped by yesterday and I could not find the advertised swimming pool. My advise would be to call ahead if yu are interested in a place with a pool. I have found a number of places that advertise a pool but for one reason or another the pool was not built.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 17:48   #10

Boat: Reuel Parker design Egret 31.5 Yawl
Check out ActiveCaptain for detailed maps of Fla coast with pop-ups of marinas, shopping and so on. It shows (among others) English Landing Marina, 3 stars, in St A. and says it is close to West Marine. Year round - 24 hour security. Secluded family and pet friendly marina, liveaboard OK. Short walk to shops and laundry.
Old 15-02-2009, 17:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
Well, it's 1.95/ft + 6 for power in case anyone's wondering.

I wouldn't get a monthly slip here. There are too many people wandering around the docks that are just sightseeing. Some people are ok but a steady train of tourists is annoying. Some people with a dog just stopped right in front of my boat to chat with some other tourists for about 10 minutes despite my dog going crazy and almost falling off the boat the whole time. That kind of stuff seems to happen much less at a normal private marina.
Do the docks have a sign at the begining of each pier that say private docks... most do.. even if they don't have a gate.. if they do you are perfectly within your rights to say something to the tourists. hel I would have said something anyway.. asked them to move thier dog elsewhere as they were upsetting my dog.. but then that is me.. in my case, my cat
would have hopped off and attacked the dog.. she is good that way.. hates competition and things anything with four legs is competition.
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 18:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Yikes. For sale at $18.5 milion? No wonder dock space costs so much in FL.

The listing shows 100 slips. If every slip is filled for 365 days per year with average 40' boat that is only $720,000/year income. If you paid no taxes, no salaries, no interest on the loan and paid 100% of the income against the cost that is over 25 years to pay off the 18.5 mill. Add in all the taxes, interest, operating costs, and a little profit and this place would take at least 50-60 years to pay off. Now I admit that I am not a marina manager nor a real estate magnate but that math does not really add up to me. Is there something about this business that I don't understand or is the seller trying to convince someone that this property will appreciate that much (in this market, right)?

Sorry for the thread drift but I was so stunned with the number I had to ask.
and that my freind is why so many marinas have sold out.. for condos.. the taxing authority's have taxed marinas, in the past, as they would a condo or whatever the land could be used for.. thus raising the taxes to the point that the marinas had little choice but to sell out..
Last November, we the voters of florida, voted a new amendment in that was called the 'save the working waterfront' bill. It makes the city tax a marina or boatyard as what it is a marina or a boatyard and all that.. not as what they think they could turn it into..

my hijack over..

to whomever.thanks for the links to marinas and all that.. I know west coast and keys fla fairly well.. but the east coast is a total unknown to me.. when I come home I will occasionaly need a marina. if nothing else for gas and a chance to wash my unmentionables..
thanks again
Old 15-02-2009, 19:36   #13

Boat: Lagoon 37 Catamaran
Bella, I didn't think you wore "unmentionables?"

Dan

S/V Mother Ocean
S/V Mother Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 20:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Mother Ocean View Post
Bella, I didn't think you wore "unmentionables?"

Dan
absolutely... not into 'commando'...

so when do you escape to warmer climes aboard mother ocean..???
Old 15-02-2009, 20:34   #15

Boat: Lagoon 37 Catamaran
Looks like it'll be a year or two until the boat is paid off. Then that'll make life a lot eaiser all around.

S/V Mother Ocean
S/V Mother Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote