Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2009, 07:12   #16
Registered User
 
oceansoul63's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Do the docks have a sign at the begining of each pier that say private docks... most do.. even if they don't have a gate.. if they do you are perfectly within your rights to say something to the tourists. hel I would have said something anyway.. asked them to move thier dog elsewhere as they were upsetting my dog.. but then that is me.. in my case, my cat
would have hopped off and attacked the dog.. she is good that way.. hates competition and things anything with four legs is competition.
No, they do not, because they are not private docks. It is a municipal marina.

However, it is unlikely that the people mentioned were tourists. The tourists really only go onto the South Dock, where there is a ferry and a schooner, both of which take people out on cruises. You were on the North Dock, where the transient slips are.

More likely, the people on the dock were other cruisers, who had every right to be there, with or without their dog. Of course, it could be argued that cruisers are "tourists," too.

No disrespect to anybody here, but if my dog was "going crazy" on deck at the sight of another dog, then I think I would put him below.
__________________

__________________
oceansoul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 08:07   #17
Registered User
 
oceansoul63's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 43
Oops - when I said "you" I was referring to Aquah0lic.

Again, no offense intended to anyone.
__________________

__________________
oceansoul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 06:55   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southbound
Boat: Pearson 31-2
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansoul63 View Post
No, they do not, because they are not private docks. It is a municipal marina.

However, it is unlikely that the people mentioned were tourists. The tourists really only go onto the South Dock, where there is a ferry and a schooner, both of which take people out on cruises. You were on the North Dock, where the transient slips are.

More likely, the people on the dock were other cruisers, who had every right to be there, with or without their dog. Of course, it could be argued that cruisers are "tourists," too.

No disrespect to anybody here, but if my dog was "going crazy" on deck at the sight of another dog, then I think I would put him below.

I lived in the Palm Beach area for 7 years. Trust me, I know tourists when I see them. Wandering aimlessly, nowhere to be and all day to get there, pointing at everything ooh - ahh. They were tourists. When I'm on my boat, I'm at home. When I go into town, I'm a tourist.

One sign they did have on the dock was no fishing which was being ignored by a couple of power boaters across the dock. They had 6 or so kids running up and down the docks with fishing poles in everyone's way trying to use the docks. Even the dockhands had to work around them while doing pumpouts and tying up boats. I was amazed they didn't say anything.

I got hit by another boat for the first time too. A searay was trying to back down into a slip against the current, missed the slip, hit the dock and then clipped my rear corner trying to escape. The guy or his wife never even said sorry and they ended up in the slip right across from me. The guy looked exactly like Ron Jeremy.
__________________
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 07:43   #19
Registered User
 
oceansoul63's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 43
Well, without trying to start a fight, I know the people you were talking about were cruisers, because I know people who work at the marina and heard the same story you told from another perspective. I also know there were other guests at the marina who complained about your dog. Again, not trying to start a fight. Just showing that there are two sides to every story.
__________________
oceansoul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 17:37   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southbound
Boat: Pearson 31-2
Posts: 303
Interesting. Now you have my curiosity going. There have been a couple of places along the way where I wouldn't have been surprised about dog complaints. Not many though, and St. Augustine isn't one of them. The dog was always on the boat or the leash and quiet almost the whole time. I can't imagine what the problem was.

BTW, I'm not trying to start a fight either. I liked your town. My whole gripe was the docks had too much foot traffic. I prefer a more serene dockage.
__________________
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 01:21   #21
Registered User
 
bella's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Old SouthEast
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansoul63 View Post
No, they do not, because they are not private docks. It is a municipal marina.
Every municipal marina I have ever been in has a sign that usualy
says "slip holders (or boat owners) and guests only"
even a transient is a slip holder while paying for a slip..

Quote:
No disrespect to anybody here, but if my dog was "going crazy" on deck at the sight of another dog, then I think I would put him below.
Perhaps you missed the point there... If your dog was in your yard and I was walking past and stopped to talk to someone and that dog was upset because my dog was on the sidewalk ...you would punish your dog by forcing him inside..? Perhaps I should remove MY dog from in front of your property and thus remove the problem..which is my dog not the dog who was in his own yard...

Some people are very inconsiderate.. I have NO problem dealing with such people..
__________________
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 01:25   #22
Registered User
 
bella's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Old SouthEast
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
I got hit by another boat for the first time too. A searay was trying to back down into a slip against the current, missed the slip, hit the dock and then clipped my rear corner trying to escape. The guy or his wife never even said sorry and they ended up in the slip right across from me. The guy looked exactly like Ron Jeremy.
I hope you reported that to the dockmaster.

I would have confronted them, got thier insurance information and kept it.. you never know when that small damage could result in something worse due to that crack down the road.
__________________
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 01:35   #23
Registered User
 
bella's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Old SouthEast
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansoul63 View Post
Well, without trying to start a fight, I know the people you were talking about were cruisers, because I know people who work at the marina and heard the same story you told from another perspective. I also know there were other guests at the marina who complained about your dog. Again, not trying to start a fight. Just showing that there are two sides to every story.
Let me see if I Have this right... you were not a witness to the incident?
you know people who know people who told you what those people told them?
You also know people who knew people that complained? To whom?
The dockmaster? if they did, why didn't the dockmaster discuss this with
the offender and his dog?

You were attempting to start something...but I just love that part about knowing someone who knows someong who told them and they told you...
oh good lord .. gossip is alive and welll I see..
__________________
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 01:41   #24
Registered User
 
bella's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Old SouthEast
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Mother Ocean View Post
Looks like it'll be a year or two until the boat is paid off. Then that'll make life a lot eaiser all around.
Mine has one more payment and she is mine.. but then its another yr to finish the refit.. Which I can do along the way.. since I do most of my own work.. and pretty much anything I want to do other than replacing the engine is a want not a need..

We prolly will be heading south about the same time..

I hope to spend next winter in Little Creek (VA Bch) and maybe the one after that in Wilmington.. you _can_ see a trend here can hyou not..
I am not in any hurry to head south.. well further enough south to not sit
icebound again for sure..
__________________
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 07:29   #25
Registered User
 
oceansoul63's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
Interesting. Now you have my curiosity going. There have been a couple of places along the way where I wouldn't have been surprised about dog complaints. Not many though, and St. Augustine isn't one of them. The dog was always on the boat or the leash and quiet almost the whole time. I can't imagine what the problem was.

BTW, I'm not trying to start a fight either. I liked your town. My whole gripe was the docks had too much foot traffic. I prefer a more serene dockage.
Despite what Bella seems to think, I was not being antagonistic. I just happened to hear the exact same story, told by the people who were talking to them.

Also, I may have been sticking up a little for the marina, as a regular. Your experience was not typical. But, like any public place, there is always the occasion where things go awry.

Peace!
__________________
oceansoul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 07:42   #26
Registered User
 
oceansoul63's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Every municipal marina I have ever been in has a sign that usualy
says "slip holders (or boat owners) and guests only"
even a transient is a slip holder while paying for a slip..
Really? Because I've been in a lot of municipal marinas, and they are all different. Some do, some don't. Certainly most private marinas do that. But it's kind of a moot point, because the people in question were "slip holders."


Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Perhaps you missed the point there... If your dog was in your yard and I was walking past and stopped to talk to someone and that dog was upset because my dog was on the sidewalk ...you would punish your dog by forcing him inside..? Perhaps I should remove MY dog from in front of your property and thus remove the problem..which is my dog not the dog who was in his own yard...
To begin with, I never used the word "punish." It's a simple matter of mitigation.

But let's use your example. If my neighbor's dog is "in his own yard," but barking his head off at everything that passes by his house, then I'd say the problem is with my neighbor for not teaching his dog not to bark at every little thing, or not putting him inside. It's a nuisance. Guess what? The sidewalk in front of your house is not owned by you. It's public property, and anybody who wants to can use it. If you have an undisciplined dog, it's your problem. I do not blame the dog; I blame the owner. Just because the dog is in his "own yard" does not give him free reign to disturb the peace. Likewise for the owner. If I'm playing my electric guitar at an extremely high volume and it's disturbing my neighbors, they have the right to complain. My just being in my own house does not excuse it.

In a marina situation, it's even more important that dogs be controlled, due to the close proximity. Some dogs travel better than others.

What makes the person on the dock with the dog in the wrong here? They had every right to be there. Just because Aquah0lic's dog was going nuts at the sight of another dog, why does that make the other people wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Some people are very inconsiderate.. I have NO problem dealing with such people..
I have no doubt.
__________________
oceansoul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 07:53   #27
Registered User
 
oceansoul63's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Let me see if I Have this right... you were not a witness to the incident?
you know people who know people who told you what those people told them?
Take it easy there, Clarence Darrow. I know the people very well who were involved in the incident. They were in the trawler three slips down from Aquah0lic's boat, and their dog is extremely well behaved. They had some friends visit them on their boat and were talking to them on the dock when this incident occurred. I came up shortly thereafter on my dinghy and got the story. At that time, I did not see a human on Aquah0lic's boat (he was probably down below), but I did see his dog, looking very nervous on the port rail. I was actually worried that the dog might fall in the water.

The reason I commented on the situation is because I heard the other side of it. I'm sorry if it doesn't fit into your perception of the world being full of inconsiderate people that must be chastised at every turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
You also know people who knew people that complained? To whom?
The dockmaster? if they did, why didn't the dockmaster discuss this with
the offender and his dog?
I explained that above. As for the dockmaster, he was made aware of it, but did not feel it warranted action at that point. If it had continued to be a problem, he probably would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
You were attempting to start something...but I just love that part about knowing someone who knows someong who told them and they told you...
oh good lord .. gossip is alive and welll I see..
Believe it or not, I actually know many of the regular guests at the marina, dinghy dockers, the dockhands and even the dockmaster. Wow, what a far-fetched idea.

You can use as many smilies as you want, but you're obviously not a very happy person, are you?

I have no problem with Aquah0lic, and have made peace with him. Have a nice day.
__________________
oceansoul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 11:31   #28
Registered User
 
bella's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Old SouthEast
Posts: 244
ocean soul...

the above post is again.. an attempt to start an arguement. I won't bite.
The dockmaster was aware of the 'situation' that is the bottom line and should
have been.

you need to research noise laws before you talk to me about them. Most cities in Florida have a law that between the hours of 8am and 11pm you can do pretty much want you want, as annoying as that is.

If a dog, that is normally quiet has someone who has the ability to move thier dog stop in front of thier yard and then create a confrontational situation between the animals.. that is inconsiderate. In the close confines of a marina manners are important. See above reference about dog in his own yard and rude inconsiderate person on street.. same difference really..

I moved my boat because of a couple who had this habit of walking the two slips down from thier boat, turning and yelling back and forth.. that two slips down put them right in front of my boat.. right by my fore hatch.. where I sleep.. it was most annoying.. and when asked, politely to be a bit more considerate..they just looked at me and others as if we all were offending them.. so I moved.. it solved the problem. now they are hurt that I moved and cannot understand why they are sitting with empty slips around them and people only stay a month before having the marina find them a different slip..

Everyone has thier own version of a story.. if you were not there, then whatever you repeat falls under gossip.. and legally, as hearsay.

I am a delightfully happy person.. you seem to think that simply because I disagree with you and percieved your nasty comments as confrontational that, ergo, I must be unhappy.. now why ever did you come to that conclusion.. you are just too cute.. thank you for a delighful morning.
__________________
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 12:42   #29
Registered User
 
oceansoul63's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 43
My comments were nasty? I went out of my way to be diplomatic with my comments to Aquah0lic while at the same time expressing that there was another side to the story.

And since when were we discussing "noise laws?" I thought we were talking about what was inconsiderate and what was not.

I find your comments to me to be far more antagonistic than anything I have said. And naturally, I disagree with your entire thesis.

But anyway, I'm done with this. Take care.
__________________
oceansoul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 16:08   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southbound
Boat: Pearson 31-2
Posts: 303
I certainly wouldn't call what happened 'an incident'. It's not like my dog was snarling and barking. He was mostly just running around whining. He loves other dogs and get excited when one's around because he wants to play. If my dogs behavior was bothering them then they should have walked on down the dock a few feet. Problem solved. As I said before he is usually quiet and very well behaved and I'm constantly being complemented about that. If he makes a little noise for a few minutes then thats just tough. I have to listen to peoples kids running around and screaming all day and I am somehow able to cope with that. I am far above average on the considerate scale and constantly taking steps to ensure people are not annoyed by my presense. I believe either the people you know are the type that bitch about everything or that you are blowing what they said out of proportion.
__________________

__________________
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marinas? Mablew Liveaboard's Forum 9 05-01-2009 17:17
Cheapest DIY Haulout in Charleston? ssullivan Atlantic & the Caribbean 1 20-04-2008 15:07
Cheapest diesel generators on the planet? EagleSailTwo Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 5 14-09-2006 03:44
Cheapest Haulout in Long Island Sound Area? ssullivan Marinas 4 09-01-2006 16:41



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.