Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 20:47   #1

Multihull , Monohull, or Power ?

Hi. I am thirteen and my dad told me that if I found the right boat we would take a year and sail around the world. I am on a $500,000 budget and am looking for maximum space and a luxurious feel. my mom gets seasick sometimes so stability would be nice but I am having a hard time convincing her that it is a good idea. I would also like space for a small tender. we do not need crew space because my dad Is an experienced sailor and can handle himself on the water. I am open to all suggestions and looking for advice because I am not knowledgable on this subject. I need enough space for me, my 7 year old sister, my mom, and my dad to fit comfortably with room to spare
willyacht567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 21:18   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: multihull, monohull, or power?

Mate, great first post and welcome to the forums.

Tell your Dad to purchase the largest Catamaran that he can afford with some of the $500k left over for some upgrades, maintenance and delivery.

I'm sure your Mum would be very comfortable onboard something in the 40+ ft range.

There are a large number of types available that may suit depending on your requirements.

Will it be specifically a years trip or do you have longer as this may affect things? Also, will it be a one-way trip, eg Europe to USA, to the Pacific to Australia or are you looking to go all the way around the world and back to where you started from?

I only wish my Dad had given me the same instructions!
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 21:24   #3

We will probably be going from the east coast to wherever we can get and back in time for school the next year
Old 15-01-2012, 21:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Is the plan to keep the yacht on the east coast when you get back again or would it be sold afterwards?

Sailing "around the world" is not always that simple, as there are what we call "trade" winds that vary in direction during the seasons, so your departure date may not correspond to the direction in which you want to travel. This is why one-way trips are quite common and why prople sometimes spend much longer than a year to travel around the world. There is also the issue with transiting the Sewers Canal or travelling around the bottom of Africa.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 06:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, willyacht567.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 06:46   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I would think your dad would have his own ideas on the subject, if he is an "experienced sailor". Did you ask him? Most sailors will have strong preferences concerning mono versus multi.

Forget power if you're going around the world. You won't find a power boat with the range to cross oceans safely and pleasantly within that kind of budget.

That leaves mono versus multi, one of the "fun" subjects on this forum.

Your dad's preference will dictate which of these you choose.

I am a mono sailor myself, but if you are talking about a tradewinds circumnav, with family on board, and people who might care about stability more than anything else, then I think you might be better off with a catamaran. A big (40+ feet) catamaran would be a nice platform for that kind of trip.

Heed the suggestion above and don't spend your whole budget on the boat. You will need an amazing amount of money to equip and prepare it for a long trip like that. You will want to reserve at least $100k out of that budget, more or less depending on the age of the boat you finally buy.

Good luck and let us know what you finally do.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 07:22   #7

[QUOTE="willyacht567"]We will probably be going from the east coast to wherever we can get and back in time for school the next year. I would like to go to the Caribbean, Mediterranean, and Australia.
Old 16-01-2012, 07:25   #8

I think after the trip we would sell it and go back to our lives on land.
Old 16-01-2012, 19:26   #9

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb

$$$ wow, must be nice...$$$
Old 16-01-2012, 19:48   #10

Your a lucky lad, st 13 my dad wouldn't pony up 50 quid for a 5 speed racer, I had to get a paper round! Good luck with your plans
The Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 20:49   #11

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Forget power if you're going around the world. You won't find a power boat with the range to cross oceans safely and pleasantly within that kind of budget.
Except for these ones

1963 Romsdahl Trawler LRC 53 Power New and Used Boats for Sale

2009 Moondance Passagemaker 46 Power New and Used Boats for Sale -

2000 Nordhavn 46 Power New and Used Boats for Sale - au.yachtworld.com

1989 Nordhavn 46 Power New and Used Boats for Sale - au.yachtworld.com

2006 Seahorse Marine 462 Offshore Passagemaker Power New and Used Boats for

and idlewild
been for sale for a long time, cheeky offer?
http://idlewildexpedition.ca/toppage1.htm
Old 16-01-2012, 21:04   #12

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mate. Welcome aboard. Here's a Mason 53 monohull ready to go and well within your budget. All the best with the assignment. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 21:09   #13

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I don't believe this at all.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 21:14   #14

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Welcome aboard. The adventure is where you are. With only a year and most of the family lacking experience, you might be better off crossing the pond to Europe, the Med, and back again to the Caribbean, Bahamas and home.

You'd have plenty of blue water adventure, wouldn't have to worry about the East African pirates, and could stop to smell the roses along the way -- you'd see PLENTY of sights and learn about other cultures.

BTW -- I agree with the advice to let your dad decide on the type of boat. (my 2-cents)
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 21:34   #15

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

A young Saudi prince was attending Cambridge. His father provided a chauffeured Rolls Royce, primarily to transport the prince between school and his luxury apartment along the Thames.

The prince wrote his father he felt embarrassed among his school mates. He said they rode trains between home and college.

His father responded: "Son, I'm sending you one million Pounds to buy your own train so you can maintain the family image."
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull, monohull