Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 21:34   #286

Re: Multihull in distress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The life span of rigging is much more dependent on dynamic load than the static load and this is why the standing rigging and spars on a cat need replacement sooner than on a mono.

Except that they don't.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 22:46   #287
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
What is your favoured terminal?
I'm in a bit of trouble as I have Navtec & Norseman terminals. I would probably order Hayn now but have no experience with it...
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 23:14   #288

In testing I saw, the Norseman were by far the worst of the swageless terminals. Better get a re-rig soon! Some insurance companies could say they should be replaced every two weeks.

John McEnroe
Old 13-03-2017, 23:34   #289

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Righting moment is only one consideration (mono or cat) not the be all end all.
Very true. I'm pretty sure the Gunboat 55 rig went out of column in the fore-and aft direction when the boat loaded up and punched into a wave. I've seen mono rigs fail in the same mode. Many rigs are dependent on the mainsail for for/aft stability.

Quite a few rigs have come down due to component failures, but this is usually a lack of inspection/replacement than a design issue.

The only rig I've dropped was due to a round down and the spinnaker pole pushing the mast out of column sideways. Definitely a mono problem.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 23:36   #290

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
In testing I saw, the Norseman were by far the worst of the swageless terminals. Better get a re-rig soon! Some insurance companies could say they should be replaced every two weeks.
Under the sarcamstances, why don't you move on?
Everyone has a unique perspective. you have made yours plain.

I have KZ marine compression fittings (similar to staylok). One wonders what is going on under the fitting. Hayn system looks good for keepiong the wires in order.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 01:04   #291

What I posted was not opinion, but fact. (Unlike others here)

I HAVE seen a comparison in which Norseman fittings fared poorly.

Just trying to help, I'd hate to see a rig fail due to inferior hardware.

John McEnroe
Old 14-03-2017, 02:10   #292

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Under the sarcamstances, why don't you move on?
Everyone has a unique perspective. you have made yours plain.

I have KZ marine compression fittings (similar to staylok). One wonders what is going on under the fitting. Hayn system looks good for keepiong the wires in order.
One wonders what is going on under the fitting? probably not much, most failures are wire related on those fittings with a warning in advance, i just see in all this years probably a couple of stalocks terminals with a tiny crack at the cap end tip of the terminal..
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 02:55   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Very true. I'm pretty sure the Gunboat 55 rig went out of column in the fore-and aft direction when the boat loaded up and punched into a wave.
Probably correct. Hall Spars have the engineering down pat as they have been in the game a long time, so the whispers were the GB55 was OBESE. Much heavier than intended so the rig simply wasn't up to the task. It appears that GB magically morphed the 55 into the GB57 in an attempt to carry the FAT.
Old 14-03-2017, 06:36   #294
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
What I posted was not opinion, but fact. (Unlike others here)

I HAVE seen a comparison in which Norseman fittings fared poorly.

Just trying to help, I'd hate to see a rig fail due to inferior hardware.

Your facts have a lot of words like "could" and "should". This reduces the comment to meaningless. Two week replacement schedules don't add to it either.

I have seen Norseman tests where they outperformed swage fittings and there were no other compression fittings on the market. So yes, better compression fittings have been developed, but they are still better than a swage fitting even if just for the option that you can open and inspect them while just able to pray for your swage terminals.

Also, you still don't understand that I have no problems with weak points on my boat at all. I mean, I hate them, but I'm the first one to point them out, rather than wiggling and denying they exist. My standing rigging has a weakness in the dual forestays of my mizzen, which I will take care of but can easily work with for now. Other than that, the rigging is solid, even with swages up top and Norseman fittings at the deck. Room for improvements? Sure! :-)

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 12:24   #295

Uhhhh, so anybody know the ultimate fate of the distressed multihull?

Also, any opinions if this yacht would have actually SUNK had it not been so close to shore?
Old 14-03-2017, 12:52   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Uhhhh, so anybody know the ultimate fate of the distressed multihull?

Also, any opinions if this yacht would have actually SUNK had it not been so close to shore?
Its docked in a Spanish harbour, the Privilege serie 7 have a crash box in the bows and a watertight engine room, but i dont think they are enough to keep one hull floating...
Old 14-03-2017, 13:07   #297
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

A Privilege 39 had a thru-hull failure while on charter in the BVI,s years ago. The charterers where taken of the boat but they left both motors running and in gear. After they were brought ashore the owner of the Privilege went looking for his cat as he was sure it wouldn't sink. It was found motoring in circles with thigh high water in the hull with the bad thru-hull. The water had found some way to make it through to the engine compartment killing one engine, that's why it was motoring in circles. Not sure if the newer Privilege would be constructed in the same manner.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 14:24   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Your facts have a lot of words like "could" and "should". This reduces the comment to meaningless. Two week replacement schedules don't add to it either.

I have seen Norseman tests where they outperformed swage fittings and there were no other compression fittings on the market. So yes, better compression fittings have been developed, but they are still better than a swage fitting even if just for the option that you can open and inspect them while just able to pray for your swage terminals.

Also, you still don't understand that I have no problems with weak points on my boat at all. I mean, I hate them, but I'm the first one to point them out, rather than wiggling and denying they exist. My standing rigging has a weakness in the dual forestays of my mizzen, which I will take care of but can easily work with for now. Other than that, the rigging is solid, even with swages up top and Norseman fittings at the deck. Room for improvements? Sure! :-)
I take it English isn't your first language?

The FACT was, I've seen tests where Norseman fittings did poorly.

Where I said"could" - well that's true too. I didn't say it has happened, that would be untrue (AFAIK), and there has been enough non truth in this thread already.

I also am happy to admit multihulls have their weaknesses. When it is true.

Stuff about rig loads being impossible to calculate, fictional insurance requirements, etc., not so much.
Old 15-03-2017, 12:46   #299

3. 120 tons cranes trying to lift 132 tons of yacht plus the weight of the wáter inside.

http://ultimahora.es/sfAttachPlugin/413238.mp4
Old 15-03-2017, 16:56   #300

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Wonder how long it would have taken them to make the 8 miles to shore in that RIB hanging of the stern.
I thought the same thing. Imagine if someone was really in trouble while the coast guard was wasting their time rescuing a really stressed out, waving happily crew on a stable floating dock. I remember listening to about 10 mayday calls off cape fear about 15 years ago when I was sailing my boat up from Fla. It was crazy and probably the most scared I've ever been on a boat. Blew my jib tape out of the furler, sail was under my boat, couldn't start the engine. Finally cut a 7 grand sail loose to fire up the perkins and stop rocking to pieces. I distinctly remember the coast guard answering every call with " are you sinking?" If the Yacht said no, they said call back when your sinking. That's how crazy it was. They weren't going to waste time helping people who were scared, but ok, when someone else was in real trouble. Rich and no skill. That's the problem with all this technology. I was practically born on a boat as were all my brothers and sisters. Taught well by a great Dad. You look at these charter idiots in the BVI, I would bet half of them were never in a 13 ft whaler or any kinda boat as a kid. Hey just push the button and head that way, that's all they think there is to it. Getting scary out there. Whats that one video of the guy on a conch charter who sails into the mooring field and hits like 7 boats. OOOOFFFAAA
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress, hull, multihull