Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 15:12   #16

Re: Multihull in distress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
That'll buff right out!
Looking at a close up I think it may need a little high fill here and there, just to hide them fine scratches, but I'm very fussy that way
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9546.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	142483  
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:02   #17

Boat: Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm still interested, the conversion is half complete.

I'm actually not joking, if anyone knows their insurance company, I'd like to get in touch.

Unfortunate that you are thinking this way! You can not claim the boat even if you rescue the abandoned ship. You can haul the boat for safety and lien the boat for salvage tow. I am disappointed that people look at an almost tragic loss with greed in their eyes. Karma!
robertk445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:08   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Spent a couple of winters in Andratx a while back.. it can get feisty..
I had apartment in Santa Ponsa just down the road.
I made coffee and during a heavy blow, I opened the Patio door to the apartment overlooking the sea...

I can tell you that my coffee was very hot, exited the cup at 100mph, covered my chest and face and went about 25 foot inside the apartment. Took a concerted effort to close the door.

Later that day, I crawled to the Marina and tighten all the lines...

Can be exciting at times...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:24   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertk445 View Post
Unfortunate that you are thinking this way! You can not claim the boat even if you rescue the abandoned ship. You can haul the boat for safety and lien the boat for salvage tow. I am disappointed that people look at an almost tragic loss with greed in their eyes. Karma!
Hey... Lighten up Mr. GloomyPants! If the boat is written off as a total loss by the insurance company, the owners get a new boat and someone looking to buy the boat gets a project. Everyone wins.

Nobody's looking to profit from this situation.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:10   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Hey... Lighten up Mr. GloomyPants! If the boat is written off as a total loss by the insurance company, the owners get a new boat and someone looking to buy the boat gets a project. Everyone wins.

Nobody's looking to profit from this situation.
I would be. There is absolutly nothing wrong with going out and towing her home and placing a maritime lien for salvage on her. It to everyone's benefit which is why maritime law allow states for such large salvage awards.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:12   #21

onavegador,as a former marine salvor I can tell you that if you abandon a vessel then any one can claim the right of "Salvor in possession" if they place a person or tow line aboard the derelict.This allows one to salvage (recover) the derelict at their own risk and cost which would include removal of all parts of the vessel and general clean up costs. Unless the law has changed the owner may be paid out for total loss by his Insurers who are then entitled to return the wreck/derelict to the owner who then bears all the costs for removal and clean up. Had it been me I would have sent the crew ashore, but would have stayed aboard to maintain right of ownership and then tried to organise a vessel to tow boat back to harbour. The cost of tow is open to negotiation between Owner/Insurance Co and salvor. If you take on the Tow you take on the risk. If you succeed you get paid, if you fail you can payout big time, possibly ending up with a worthless wreck to dispose of. If you break down on the highway you expect to pay for a tow and there is minimal risk. Hardly robbery at sea,simply business.
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:25   #22

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Same strong gale destroy lots of boats in Andraitx.
I always wondered what it looked like on the inside of one of those ...
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:05   #23

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You SOB--you made me spit my coffee all over the keyboard.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 13:11   #24

Boat: LAGOON 400

looks like another case of owner not taking time to get to know the boat well.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 13:23   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

There are plenty of strange things on this event;

-Privilege's are extremely solid, conservatively rigged, heavy but well made boats. Privilege 7 is 50 tons and 75 ft.. It's hard to believe that she was dismast at 50 kts of wind.

-There is no way there could be 50 kts in the video, not even close,

-I don't see the boat in mayday situation. Starboard sugarscoop is floating low, maybe they were taking water in the engine house. When looked closely, during the beginning and the end of the video the level of the sugarscoop is the same. That shows at least that they were not taking too much water and too fast.

-the boat is just 8 nm from the shore. The way it looked, it seemed to me that they could easily do it to the shore maybe with some assistance, but mayday is a bit too much.

-the crew seemed to be very happy when airlifted and no sign of panic or whatsoever. I wouldn't be when leaving my 2 mio USD worth boat at 8 nm from the shore.

Strange..

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 13:30   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It's typical. The cat, the crew, the waving while being winched up to the heli, the abandoning a unsinkable multi-hull, the posts in this thread, all typical.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 13:37   #27

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Thank you Robbie for your message and for explaining me the facts.

I was thinking that the skipper of the cat was going from board to early but it may be he was still aboard the vessel. As in the Video the sea was not very heavy and the catamaran still afloat.

I was not aboard and from the armchair it is easy to give advice.

If he left it maybe, that when in safety - what was not far away - he may changed his mind and organise a recovery or a tow.

On a atlantic crossing back to the Acores I towed a monohull who has lost her rudder for 300 NM to Flores. I told the owner that I'm willing to take his crew aboard to bring them ashore but he asked me if I could tow his boat. Because he was not insured.

I agreed to try a tow and finally it worked, due to circumstances, fine. After three days we arrived at Lajes das Flores. Short before entrance to the port I rafted up to monohull to my cat and sailed to the port where rafted ab to the quay.

It was a french built 42 ft monohull as my cat was only equipped with two
18HP Volvo Diesels we sailed most with about 4 Knots.
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 13:52   #28

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
There are plenty of strange things on this event;

-Privilege's are extremely solid, conservatively rigged, heavy but well made boats. Privilege 7 is 50 tons and 75 ft.. It's hard to believe that she was dismast at 50 kts of wind.

-There is no way there could be 50 kts in the video, not even close,

-I don't see the boat in mayday situation. Starboard sugarscoop is floating low, maybe they were taking water in the engine house. When looked closely, during the beginning and the end of the video the level of the sugarscoop is the same. That shows at least that they were not taking too much water and too fast.

-the boat is just 8 nm from the shore. The way it looked, it seemed to me that they could easily do it to the shore maybe with some assistance, but mayday is a bit too much.

-the crew seemed to be very happy when airlifted and no sign of panic or whatsoever. I wouldn't be when leaving my 2 mio USD worth boat at 8 nm from the shore.

Strange..

Yeloya
Acording to the Spanish SAR , they sail with to much canvas up and the rig broke making a hole in the starboard side. 50 knts reported, the weather in the video is the calm after the blow...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 14:00   #29

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I don't want to derail the thread, but we got word yesterday that on Sunday a charter cat from the Abacos attempted to go out Adderly cut in the Exumas and returned sans mast and sails. The word is that no one was injured and hull damage is relatively minor. Wind at the time was NE in the low 30's gusting to mid 30s here in Georgetown. We had one report of 41 in a more exposed area. It was probably higher in Exuma sound. I will attempt to get more details.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 14:12   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Well some things I do not understand. According to the video the sea was not calm but smooth - so the gale was gone. A tow to Garrucha (8 Miles) takes, with precautions 3 hrs at max. So why not organize a tugbost with a strong pump? Garrucha has a Marina and a big crane to lift the cat out.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress, hull, multihull