Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2006, 04:40   #1
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
mud berths for sailboats

Hi. i was wondering if anyone has experience with keeping a boat in a tidal creek that dries out at low tide? this would be very convenient since it is behind my house but then the boat could only be moved at high tides. the mud is very soft which would allow the keel to settle down keeping the boat upright. i was wondering about thru hulls .. will they become clogged or will they stay clear .. especially the engine cooling intake? appreciate the feedback
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 05:37   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Not a problem with a catamaran! except if the skeg/rudder is as deep as the keel, if the boat sheers sideways as it takes the ground there is a lot of force on the skeg/rudder.

Through hulls and impellors will get clogged.

fin keel may dig a hole eventually for the keel, but could also miss the hole with the keel and tip boat sideways into the hole!

bilge keelers will also dig their own holes for the keels. Those bilge keelers that tip their keels away from each other can suffer from hydraulic compression where the forces at the hull/bilge keel are excessive and cause damage.

lift keel can get gravel into the keel box and jam the keel
Old 28-04-2006, 08:17   #3

Hi,
Well Kai Nui and I have had an experience with mud births J Scott told our story about Petrel (our first boat sailboat together) so I wont go into that, just a brief note to explain the mud! After 10 months rebuilding on the hard!! The boat yard sold and gave us 10 days to get her hull watertight (we had 3 planks out below the waterline!). When we were put in the water we needed to get the engine installed and do a hole list of things to move her. We were moved to a slip in what was called “Poop lagoon” Yuck! Anyway we (I) was very concerned, I thought we would have to live at a list for a month or so until we could move the boat. It turned out that after a couple of days we kind of settled into a perfect slot made in the mud. It was amazing! Petrel never knew the difference, she just made kind of a sucking noise after the tide cane in and she broke loose of the mudJ We were tide to a dock so I am not sure what would have happened if we did not have something to give her a little support? Aside from the smell of the mud it was fine. The through hulls did not seem to be affected either.
Old 17-05-2006, 07:18   #4
running down a dream

Thumbs up

sundari you have helped me to believe that I should give this a try. i am hoping the keel will settle into a slot as you said .. and i will save a lot of money by doing this. this will limit the time that the boat can be moved but hey that's life
Old 17-05-2006, 22:13   #5

We were in Anchorage AK a2 weeks ago and they had a lot of boats just sitting in the mud!! What a sight!!! They have BIG TIDES !!! I think it was 30 ft!!!!!!!!! We did not see any sail boats on the mud but a lot of big boats!! And little ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4269.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	100  
Old 17-05-2006, 22:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Susan?? How big were the BIG boats ... and how small were the little ones. There weren't any inbetween?
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 22:23   #7
Kai Nui

Tugs were about 50' and the fishing dories were about 16'.
Old 24-05-2006, 14:43   #8

Boat: Sol-Cat 18'
Haha, thats one of my Uncle's Tugs, and actually that's his dock, I do believe.

The currents in Cook Inlet are enormous, many a boats have been sent down stream! I have seen very few sailboats out in this area, though the same uncle has taken a hobie cat out in the Inlet .
yanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 18:50   #9
Kai Nui

yanos, COOL! We had a great time up there. Most of the sailing seems to be out of Whittier. That dock is the one by the launch ramp. We had a great time watching the 30' tides Are you up there, or just your uncle? I am headed up for another claim in the next few weeks, be great to buy you a beer at Rumrunners.
Old 25-05-2006, 08:45   #10

Boat: Sol-Cat 18'
I was born and raised up here. It looks like its going to be a fantastic summer, great time to come up. You are correct, Whittier and Seward are the sailing hot spots (If you can call them that ). I would love to meet up for a beer. Send me an email when you're planning to come on up : hanstheman at hotmail dot com
yanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 18:13   #11
Kai Nui

Will do! Still waiting for our insured vehicle to get released so I can come up and inspect it. Probably in the next couple weeks. I will drop you an email.
Old 26-05-2006, 11:38   #12
cruiser

Mud Berths

Back when I had a single keeler I put the keel deep in the mud many times , no problem. I was moored in Auckland for many months before I realized thay my 6 ft draft had been pushing itself into the mud every tide in 3 ft of water. I was tied to pilings with long lines, nothing to hold her up.But she stayed upright as the musd was so soft.
I've had a twin keeler for the last 22 years and have never paid to tie her to a dock in that time.I've used a lot of mud berths.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 14:03   #13
running down a dream

Thumbs up

ok thanks. i moved the boat behind my house at high tide and she really looked beautiful. she did not look as good surrounded by low water and mud .. but the dockage is very reasonable for now!!