Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2012, 07:44   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Moving over from Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
if i remember correctly it might have been a bit more than the above that invited criticism from the mods.................
It was a completely different thread and there was no public admonishment from the mod. Simply a private warning that in order to maintain the allegedly high standards here, "Tidy Titles Have Capital Letters".

Un-friggin'-believable.
Old 29-06-2012, 07:45   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: moVing ovEr froM sAilnEt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I was recently reprimanded here because I failed to capitalize the first letter of each word of a thread title, if you can believe that.
Some folks have a touch of OCD .

Anyway, welcome to Dave & Donna, have heard of Sailnet - but never been there though.
Old 29-06-2012, 08:05   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The moderating team tries its best to strike a balance between anarchy and heavy handedness. We also realize that it is impossible to please everyone. If you ever have a problem with how things are being handled then please send a Private Message or Report Post to the mod team and we will do our best to resolve the situation.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 29-06-2012, 08:10   #19

Boat: Cal 2-27

Before joining here, I would read

sailnet
sailingforum
sailing anarchy (to many rude responses on there for my taste)
boatdesign
trawler forum (cant remember the site name, I would google that name

If you could find it in google, I would read it. I post on 1 other forum for business. Thousands of posts on there through the years. I wanted to make sure that the forum that I read and posted on was active and this is most active and best I could find when comparing it to all the others.
Old 29-06-2012, 08:15   #20

Boat: Cal 2-27

I'm pretty good at what I do and run a lot of testimonials for the companies that I use product in regards to marketing. Doing podcast and training and things of that nature.

On that forum, I intentionally type in all lower case all the time for 2 reasons. I type really fast and don't go back to correct. I'm not typing there for fun, but to share information. I don't know how to be grammatically correct, so I make a joke about it by taking it a step further. And after all the years, nobody says anything because the quality of the message is in the post when I share business information and what works and what is a waste of money.

I just think it's funny when people point out spelling or grammatical errors on a forum. Who cares. As long as the message is clear, no worries.
Old 29-06-2012, 09:48   #21

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

There's lots of us Sailnetter's here....who haunt both forums....Don't be surprised if a few of those posters you bailed from SN for also post here. CF does seem to be moderated more.....and while it's an excellent forum, tends to be more for cruisers, full timers and world travelers. (of course) SN is much more general "everything" sailing and is easier to find when the yo-yo's are looking for a place to spew.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
Old 29-06-2012, 09:54   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
It was a completely different thread and there was no public admonishment from the mod. Simply a private warning that in order to maintain the allegedly high standards here, "Tidy Titles Have Capital Letters".

Un-friggin'-believable.
I Received that same note, and was pretty incensed (PO'D!) about it. I not so politely mentioned that it would have been easier to write a perl or PHP script to display the titles however they wanted rather than wasting my time with such things.
Old 29-06-2012, 11:33   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

It's called non-capital punishment.

kind regards,
Old 29-06-2012, 12:13   #24

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
After 4 years on Sailnet and over 2600 posts my wife and I have decided that CF would be a forum more closely alligned with our years of sailing experience as well as maintaining a sailboat

I have been a "lurker" here since 2007, but would like to begin a more active role in the various forums.

We have a 35 C&CMKIII on the Chesapeake which we use every week from March through November. In addtion we take a "cruise" to the LI Sound/ New England every July/ August for at least 3 weeks to get out of the summer heat and doldrums here.

We organized a "Rondevous" at our club every year in June with usually 20-25 sailboats attending both by sea and by land in to meet some of the people we posted with on line as well as build our network of fellow sailors on the Bay as well as share stories and comradierie. We are hoping CF is a site where we can have a similar experience in sharing with other sailors
Well David. Fancy meeting/seeing you here. Welcome to the crowd.

I'm certain you will find CF a more civilized--although sometimes a more "PC"--forum than SN although it has changed a lot since it's beginnings (less of the technical information exchange than it had). Never-the-less, it is quite a good exchange with well intended amiable members who can be very helpful with some of the issues/problems we are all confronted with from time-to-time and your experience/knowledge will be a welcome addition.

Cheers,

svHyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 29-06-2012, 12:28   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
After 4 years on Sailnet and over 2600 posts my wife and I have decided that CF would be a forum more closely alligned with our years of sailing experience as well as maintaining a sailboat

And here you are as one of the SN people who trashed me because I posted once that not much new goes on at SN

I haven't been to SN in a while because most new posts were poltical or non boating related. Here we mostly do old thread boating topics with "new" people hashing it over again.
Old 29-06-2012, 12:44   #26

some people are just trying to avoid calling attention to themselves and don't use capital letters. think..e.e.cummings
Old 29-06-2012, 13:15   #27
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

Simple and precise =.... Works in a post as well. You are correct in saying "as long as the message is clear" but the message is always clearer to the sender than it is to the reader, so best to make it as clear as possible by using proper spelling and grammar. Just sayin'

To the OP, welcome to CF! It is an awesome forum. I've spent a little time on SN but tend to gravitate here, as I know there are many sincere and knowledgeable posters here and it is very active.

Cheers!
Old 29-06-2012, 20:03   #28

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Welcome To CF from SN. I used to post on SN and lurk here now I post here and lurk there.
They are more racers then cruisers from what I have seen. But still there are some good sailors over there with lots of experience. But welcome and please share your experiences.
Old 29-06-2012, 22:37   #29

Boat: John Pugh Windsong sloop 38ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
It's called non-capital punishment.
Old 30-06-2012, 00:06   #30

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Welcome! I joined last fall. My first post was a typo. I tried to say Hello To Everyone, and the O did not stick. A couple days later I had a huge thread and I was shocked to learn I messed up.

Good people here

You have an iPhone? Get the iPhone app for this place. Sweet!
Closed Thread