Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-08-2016, 17:42   #1

Boat: 1977 Hullmaster 27
Motor size

Would like to know if a 6 hp Evinrude is too heavy for an 8 ft inflatable. And is it generaly heavier than a same make 4hp ? Would it also be too awkward to mount on a stearnrail by hand ? Thanks !

Old 28-08-2016, 18:40   #2

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Re: Motor size

No. Yes. No.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 01:32   #3
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
Motor size

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy27 View Post
Would like to know if a 6 hp Evinrude is too heavy for an 8 ft inflatable. And is it generaly heavier than a same make 4hp ? Would it also be too awkward to mount on a stearnrail by hand ? Thanks !
Edit: the following assumes you are talking about the 2 stroke Evinrudes. Likely given it appears there is no longer a 4 HP Evinrude in the four stroke range.

1. Probably not if it is a real inflatable. I've met a few smallish inflatables where 6 HP would rip the transom off, but they were toys masquerading as real boats.

2. Yes, very much so (I've owned both, albeit with the alternate "Johnson" branding on the 4 HP). But then again, I believe the 8hp and the 6 HP were about the same weight, at least in the early 2000s, I think the 6 HP just had a smaller carbie or something like that.

3. Depends. On the main boat layout, the position of your body on the main boat in relation to the engine when lifting it, your physical fitness, sea state... etc... Our boat has 1.4 meters of freeboard at the stern so I use the Tohatsu 3.5 HP whenever I can because lifting the 6 HP Mercury that far is a PITA, even with the dedicated gear lifting crane arm. I can step up out of the dink with the Tohatsu in one hand. Can't do that with the merc.

Matt

P.S. Used to walk a good mile or so down to my boat as an early teenager with the Johnson 4 in one hand and the oars on my other shoulder. Wouldn't dream of trying that with the 6 HP.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-08-2016, 05:36   #4

Boat: Cal 33-2
Re: Motor size

Check the rating plate on the inflatable. It will include the max allowable motor HP. My 7'6" Achilles is rated for up to 3.5 HP. Moving a 6 HP from the dinghy to the sternrail will not be an easy task by hand. Best done with a block-and-tackle of some kind. Don't want to drop it in the water if wave bounces things around as you are lifting it.

Tags
motor, size

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: