Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2009, 09:29   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Motor Sailing and Heeling

I was doing some reading about VMG for different courses to get a handle on when it is better to turn off course to gain speed, but made better time to the target. In an article I came across a note about motor sailing into the the wind and the resulting heel that I never had thought of and figured I would pass it along as it seemed pretty good to think about and I never had thought of it:

"A word of caution. Whenever you’re motor-sailing be careful not to let the boat heel too far. Most marine engines have a maximum operating angle of something like 15 or 20 degrees (this can vary a bit depending on details of the installation as well as the type of engine). As the boat heels the engine oil runs to the side of the sump, eventually getting to the point where the oil pick-up starts to suck in air which is not at all good for the engine’s bearings. So if you are motor-sailing into heavy weather be prepared to travel the main down, sheet it out or head up in teh gusts to keep the angle of heel under control."

I got this for an article you can read on the following link:

Ocean Sail Articles: Velocity Made Good Trading off course against speed
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 10:03   #2

This is also a reason to keep the oil level right up to the full mark.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 11:29   #3

I made a little laminated chart years ago to determine speed vs distance made good. I just ran accross it the other day going through some stuff. It is set up like: "a variance from the lay line of X degrees requires an additional speed of X"
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 18:48   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Don't check the oil while heeling. You could have a heart attcak!

Checked mine the other day - I thought we were flat, but must have been heeled 5 degrees. No oil! LOL

Yeah, I try not to run the donk over 20 degrees. Sometimes when I need to make electricty I will ease off a bit to flatten her out.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 20:35   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
In reality all proper marine installations should have an extra deep sump and a central pickup that is not affected by heels in the 30’s and 40’s.

But it is a good question that all motor sailors should confirm by monitoring their oil pressure gauge in those conditions, as some designs are too shallow under the engine to install a deep sump.

If you see the gauge fluctuating, then you might be scavenging air and you should do as they suggest.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 20:47   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
In reality all proper marine installations should have an extra deep sump and a central pickup that is not affected by heels in the 30’s and 40’s.

But it is a good question that all motor sailors should confirm by monitoring their oil pressure gauge in those conditions, as some designs are too shallow under the engine to install a deep sump.

If you see the gauge fluctuating, then you might be scavenging air and you should do as they suggest.
As I read these warnings I thought, "Gee, my Volvo MD 2020 has a shallow pan, I ought to worry!" Then I remembered, "I have a trimaran ! Never mind...."

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 21:41   #7
CF Adviser

I agree, it is the least of your worries:

Just kidding:....

Old 29-09-2009, 22:43   #8
CF Adviser

On a more constructive note.

Watching that video, regardless of the type of sailboat whose crew is being rescued by a ship in those conditions.

As the person being rescued….would you have done anything different to help with the rescue?
Old 29-09-2009, 23:18   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
As the person being rescued….would you have done anything different to help with the rescue?
Get into the dinghy! At least then the dinghy could help manouver and keep the yacht, mast, etc away from the ship.

Let this be a lesson to idiots who think a ship is a good resuce device: The ship doesn't even have a WINCH! Let alone a dereck etc.

Also the sea is dead flat calm. Try this in 40 knots, at night in a developed swell. Ho ho!

Mark
PS One other solution: Ram a parachute flare up your bum and sky-rocket onto the deck!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 13:10   #10
CLOD

Boat: none
[
Mark
PS One other solution: Ram a parachute flare up your bum and sky-rocket onto the deck! [/QUOTE]

This just made me squeeze right up tight.

(just to help going off topic more)
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote