Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 07:27   #16
cruiser

The poster ought to spend the night sleeping on his boat before heading out. That might at least eliminate one of the factors. Either the poster is going to hard as RSN says above me, or he is suffering from the motion-sickness style drowsiness so many of the guest I have aboard get.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:40   #17

Boat: grampian 26
Have to agree with Lodesman. I think it's the constant low level muscle twitching involved in trying to keep your balance on a moving boat. Even sitting down you are unconsciously trying to keep your body upright.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 13:27   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I solo a lot on my little boat. I either 1. anchor at night and sleep or 2. sleep at the slip. Sleeping while traveling is advanced stuff and I don't want to do it unless I am 200+ miles from shore and or away from a seaway. I could not see doing it close to California. I know some guys heave to and sleep. How close to shore would you think of doing something like that?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 15:52   #19

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
MIF

Have you tried sleeping on the boat a night before going out?
This may help.
Regards Bill Goodward
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 16:31   #20

I dont get seasick, but can relate to MIF. Found it much better when I got a catamaran. Probably just because of the reduced rolling and the lack of companionway ladder to go up and down to. Just point her where you want to go and adjust motors or sail accordingly......
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 17:22   #21

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Newt,

For me, probably never. I have enough trouble sleeping off-watch, which is not a good thing. I have mates that can fall asleep in an instant, I've always been envious of that ability.

Hove-to, you could still be making 2 to 3 knots or more. So doing the math, in two hours you could travel 6 miles or more...hove-to.... You could be far enough offshore to mitigate hitting the beach, but hitting another ship..or visa versa is another story.
Old 05-02-2009, 20:41   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I have had this happen to me....on a Friday afternoon after work....I go sailing
same thing happens. I find if I make a short jaunt to an anchoage and sleep...the next days sailing is fine.....
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:12   #23

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
Years back I went on a 5 day dive trip. First day on the boat started at around 7pm...I slept until almost 3 pm the next day! Never got sick and realized that i was more stressed and tired than first thought. About 6 months or so later, same kinda trip but left at 5 am. No sleep for that day and I got sicker than a dog! I was sick the whole trip... I never really got enough sleep and I guess my brain didn't settle-in to the motion. Both of these dive boats were between 40 and 60 feet long. Now, if I head to the sailboat for a weekend I make sure I'm on board by 6-7pm the night before we leave on any kind of trip and let my mind get used to the motion, all while I snooze. I guess we're all a little different. In the first dive boat example, I was eating like a pig every day and on the second trip, I could hardly eat at all and was basically miserable. Weather and motion were all about the same between the two and the exhaust wasn't noticeable at all on either one. So, there my solution.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:29   #24

Well this explains a LOT. I am seasick every time out, and, like others have described, can't keep my eyes open to save my life. The first time I thought it was the Bonine doing it to me, so I didnt take any the next time out, I didnt take anything at all, but still had the same problem. it's a terrible feeling on top of being sick to.

Now when the boat stops, we anchor up or whatever, I am fine, except for the chumming thing. Yes the fish love me! LOL
twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:47   #25

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
I read in another thread that a combination of scopolamine and dexedrine (amphetamine) was the recommended medication regiment to take for motion sickness. The drowsiness would be offset by the speed ... oh, and you might even lose some weight
Old 10-02-2009, 14:09   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
(amphetamine) ....offset by the speed ... oh, and you might even lose some weight
Hello! Just for the weight reduction only!
Drugs wouldn't be much good at sea Speed coould be OK washing the decks but could drive someone batty in light winds. XTC - falling in love with a seagull? Hallucinogen in a storm - the waves man... looooook

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 15:15   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
There could be other environmental triggers; chemical, mold or mildew. Sail out somewhere close that's calm and go to sleep. Try different things and keep notes. Don't give up yet, but remember, this is supposed to be fun!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote