Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2015, 14:29   #1

Morgan OI 33 keel board

I purchased a 1973 Morgan OI 33 hull #33. It has a centerboard or keel board, in fact I was given a "spare" keel board. The board seems to be made of steel, 50" tip to tip, 13.5" wide, with a wing shape, thick on one side, thin on the other.

I am told that it really does change the feel of the boat when dropped down, though it isn't very big. To be honest I am hesitant to even drop it since the activating mechanism is a tiny little string (like an old light bulb string). If the string broke I couldn't get it back up again.

I wasn't aware that the OI33 had a keel board. I am not finding anything in Google about an OI33 keelboard.

Does anyone out there know anything about a centerboard on this boat?
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 14:54   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Morgan OI 33 keel board

If you are worried about the mechanics, replace/update them. You will find the upwind capabilities improve noticeably with the CB down. You might also notice the weather-holm diminish. Make sure you know how to dive on it & attach a replacement lift pennant.

Our original swing CB was 1700 pounds. Replaced it with 350 pound glass & lead fin. The original had 5/8 SS multistrand high flex cable. I didn't like the geometry or maximum load either. This is still in use on the lighter board but the lighter board reduced the cable stress.

You might consider Dyneema or other high tech line as replacement to the original wire.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 15:46   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
---- The board seems to be made of steel, 50" tip to tip, 13.5" wide, with a wing shape, thick on one side, thin on the other.
----
An asymmetric centerboard? Well, it'll definitely point better on one tack lol.
Unless you mean thick on the leading edge, thin on the trailing edge.
Old 29-08-2015, 16:00   #4

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Are you sure you don't have one of these? It's a Morgan 34, they were very popular.

From
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1420

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 19:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
An asymmetric centerboard? Well, it'll definitely point better on one tack lol.
Unless you mean thick on the leading edge, thin on the trailing edge.
Exactly, thick on the leading edge, thin on the trailing.
Old 29-08-2015, 19:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Are you sure you don't have one of these? It's a Morgan 34, they were very popular.

From
MORGAN 34 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Nope, it is definitely an OI 33. In fact I have the original manuals, not only for the boat but everything else. It is a '73, and the second owner bought it in '76, and kept it until 2014. He raced it up in the NY harbor and off Long Island.

Yea, I know, raced it??? The OI 33 is not exactly a racing boat right?

So get this, I went to sign the papers to buy and when I got back to the boat his son and DIL was standing in front of the boat looking at it. So I met the son of the man who owned the boat from 1976-2014. This young man had spent many summers on the boat, sailing it around off NY. We exchanged phone numbers and Email.
Old 29-08-2015, 21:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have an OI33 across the pier from us.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 21:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We have an OI33 across the pier from us.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
But does it have a centerboard?
Old 30-08-2015, 14:07   #9

Boat: Island Packet 35

Yes, there were a couple OI 33's with a board on the early models and as I recall there were only a couple ordered. You will want to use it as it will make a huge difference up wind. As far as racing, I did OK in the 90's when I owned a OI 33 if there was any kind of wind, since the handicap was awesome. With a centerboard, it would almost be cheating as there is not a separate handicap.

If the cable breaks, you are OK until you back on it. Moving forward, it will just ride over anything down there. It does not need a big line, just strong enough to pull it up. If it breaks, pretty easy to drop another one down, dive the boat and tie it off.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 18:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
Yes, there were a couple OI 33's with a board on the early models and as I recall there were only a couple ordered. You will want to use it as it will make a huge difference up wind. As far as racing, I did OK in the 90's when I owned a OI 33 if there was any kind of wind, since the handicap was awesome. With a centerboard, it would almost be cheating as there is not a separate handicap.

If the cable breaks, you are OK until you back on it. Moving forward, it will just ride over anything down there. It does not need a big line, just strong enough to pull it up. If it breaks, pretty easy to drop another one down, dive the boat and tie it off.
Well yea but it is 80 lbs if it is an ounce. I picked it up and carried it onto my boat but it wasn't light. And the little string looks like it would break at 20 lbs. The CB doesn't appear to be balanced, the shaft it hangs on is 6" from one end. Of course I haven't a clue how it works down there.

The people involved (PO and broker) tell me that the 2nd owner modified the boat but I doubt that. I would bet that it was ordered from the factory that way.

The old owner's son said he was passing my contact info to his dad so perhaps some day I will get to talk to or even meet him.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:41   #11

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Well yea but it is 80 lbs if it is an ounce. I picked it up and carried it onto my boat but it wasn't light. And the little string looks like it would break at 20 lbs. The CB doesn't appear to be balanced, the shaft it hangs on is 6" from one end. Of course I haven't a clue how it works down there.

The people involved (PO and broker) tell me that the 2nd owner modified the boat but I doubt that. I would bet that it was ordered from the factory that way.

The old owner's son said he was passing my contact info to his dad so perhaps some day I will get to talk to or even meet him.
I am trying to find the contact information from an old friend who has an OI 41 that has a CB. That is where I got my information from. I recall the rope was like 1/4" even on the 41, it only needed to be strong enough to pull the board up and down.

Even though the boards make the OI's behave much better to windward, most of the fleet was built for the Charter Industry and they really didn't care that the boat was not a great sailing boat to weather, but how many could you sleep. So most of the boats left the factory pretty basic and there were very few owners versions as most people hated the design when it came out and thought Charlie Morgan had completely lost his mind.

Did you get a survey? Even if you were not there for it, they should have taken pictures in the sling with it down and see the connection point and how it works/condition. If not, lower the board, put on a mask and dive under your boat and you will see how simple it is to change the line when needed.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 13:28   #12

Boat: Morgan 34 CB,

I have the 34 Morgan and broke the ss cable while sailing.. A bugger to get back up.
Replaced the SS cable with AmSteel line. It been on for seven years and still like new.
Denny Vitton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, morgan