Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-02-2013, 14:45   #16

Boat: Freydis 49' Cat
Re: More registration problems

I had read the post about Italian boats after I paid my deposit! actually it was very straightforward and only took time because there was a lease company involved. Once all the signatures were in place it took about 3 weeks.
As a non resident of Panama vessel apparently need to be in a corporate name and you would have the additional cost of keeping the corporation valid .

The state registration is not an option as I intend to use the boat outside of the US and the Bahamas .
Think I will take lake effects advice and try the US SSR part 1. I also think boatman was correct re the credit card.
The main issue is no standardization of requirements , in the US you must be citizen, but the UK does not care about citizenship just residency. So both the logical places to do it disqualify me. They are both more than happy to collect Taxes though.

Anyway boat is on the hard at Shelter Bay Marina and likely to be there a few more months so I have time to figure it out.
Thanks for the advice

Paul

Old 07-02-2013, 15:15   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel sails View Post
Think I will take lake effects advice and try the US SSR part 1.
Not being pedantic - just to help not (further?!) confuse readers, I think that should read UK SSR Part III (the cheap & easy option!).

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:21   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel sails View Post
I had read the post about Italian boats after I paid my deposit! actually it was very straightforward and only took time because there was a lease company involved. Once all the signatures were in place it took about 3 weeks.
IIRC the problem (with Italian Registration) on that other thread was that their were multiple registered owners, and some of them were dead! (and that "minor detail" was dropped into the deal at the last moment - that gonna be a PITA / expensive / time consuming in any country!).......in any event, no doubt the Italian Boat Registration system is used by thousands of Italians every year without diffuculy - so it can't be that hard .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:30   #19

It is probably not ideal, but I suspect the UK SSR would be fine in the Caribbean where a lot of places you'll be dealing with someone with a limited command of English anyway! As long as it looks official and is something they have seen before you will probably be OK as long as your name matches the name of the document. I prefer to have my name and address be the same on all these important documents, but in reality most officials judge you by the "cut of your jib" and don't get into reading carefully every detail of your papers. The places where they might look at you cross-eyed would be within the EU or in New Zealand or Australia--someplace where the authorities are very likely to know what exactly the SSR means.
Old 07-02-2013, 16:13   #20
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Try Bennett law office in Missoula, Montana for an affordable LLC. I am a customer and can recommend.
Old 07-02-2013, 16:27   #21
Deep Water Deliveries

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: More registration problems

The only thing the SSR has is your name and the boat details...
no address or anything else to do with you...

boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: