Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2018, 07:09   #1

Boat: AMERICAN 2+2 MINI-TON 16 FT
More questions - sail #3 - mast threading, slugs

Took everyone's advice from my previous post and went out in about 8 knot wind - very happy with the results - used the main sail only just to keep things simple.

2 questions:

1. When I prepped the sail - placed the gooseneck into the mast - layed mast angled down to the mast and threaded all the sail slugs in the oval shape groove. Plan was to pull up sail when at center of lake (motored out). When I pulled the sail up, the sail slugs all exited the mast at the oval cutout and I had to rethread them all back in. What is the procedure to thread these on land but leave sail bunched up on the boom till I am ready.

2. The sail slugged seems very "sticky" in that I had to pull the halyard up then pull down on the sail edge to unstick some of the slugs. Would getting new slugs help?

Here's the best picture I could find - everything is assembled but I wanted to show the gooseneck below the oval slot.

jimTheSailorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 05:19   #2

Re: More questions - sail #3 - mast threading, slugs

That's a problem with this design for sure. That's one reason I don't drop the main on mine when out unless I really need to (I luft it to reduce power). It's especially an issue when single-handed. When I have raised it, single-handed, on the water, I release the the jib (or roll it in on mine, as I have a roller furling), so that I'm not under way. Then I can slide up in the cockpit and guide the sail into the mast while raising it, just as if I am on land. Since I'm (hopefully) not moving, I don't need to hold the rudder and can leave it. I suppose one could rig something up to keep the sail from dropping all the way (something inserted into the sail slot). However, because of the design, that would always leave a lot of sail still available to catch wind. But I might try to think of something.

Your second issue could be bent slugs (mine are about 6-8" long and I could see where one or more being bent might cause a problem). If the halyard pulley is free rolling as it should, then it seems to me that it either has to be a bent slug or the mast slot (maybe a small crimp or something?). You might try laying down the mast in your backyard and slide the sail on to see if you can figure out where and why it's sticking.

In your picture it says "roller reefing gooseneck" - I want one! It would stop the the raising issue you mention, but it would keep the sail rolled on the boom when down and it can be reefed (mine can not be reefed). I like that idea. I may need to search to see if someone has one for my boat.
leboyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 07:10   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

You need to push the slugs above the slot as you insert them and then hold them just above the slot. Two possible solutions

1. You can buy a "sail track stop" with a knurled head on a screw thread that you put into the track below the last slug just above the slot.

2. Our quick and easy solution on the Farr 1/2ton - a loose cable tie around the mast. Once the last slug is in, slide the cable tie up so that the slugs sit on it at the the rear of the mast and it sits a bit higher on the front of the mast. Friction holds everything in place until you raise the sail, then the cable tie just drops back down. (And no one can drop the stop overboard )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 07:22   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

For "sticky" slugs, do you have e a boom topping lift? if so, keep it tight until the sail is up so that there is less backward/outward tension on the slugs as you are hosting. Also cleaning/lubricating the track may help. Some good suggestions in this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ck-150954.html
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 09:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
For "sticky" slugs, do you have e a boom topping lift? if so, keep it tight until the sail is up so that there is less backward/outward tension on the slugs as you are hosting. Also cleaning/lubricating the track may help. Some good suggestions in this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ck-150954.html
If his boat is like mine, there is no topping lift, although I've considered putting one on mine.
Old 22-06-2018, 09:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You need to push the slugs above the slot as you insert them and then hold them just above the slot. Two possible solutions

1. You can buy a "sail track stop" with a knurled head on a screw thread that you put into the track below the last slug just above the slot.

2. Our quick and easy solution on the Farr 1/2ton - a loose cable tie around the mast. Once the last slug is in, slide the cable tie up so that the slugs sit on it at the the rear of the mast and it sits a bit higher on the front of the mast. Friction holds everything in place until you raise the sail, then the cable tie just drops back down. (And no one can drop the stop overboard )
Added 1 sail track stop to my amazon cart. For $9.74, it's cheap enough if it works (I didn't know they made those). You second option is also a good option. If I drop my stop overboard, I'll go to option 2
Old 22-06-2018, 14:56   #7

Don't bother to buy new slugs. New ones bind just as badly as old ones.
Lubricate often, but don't stain the sail.
Loosen mainsheet, boom vang and cunningham. Tighten topping lift or put your shoulder under the boom.
Get the boat head to wind. The more the sail shakes the easier it will go up.
Good Luck,
M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 14:58   #8

P.S.
Don't forget to slack the topping lift when the sail is up.
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 15:39   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

My advice:

1. Carefully clean the groove in the mast. You can use hot soapy water and a bit of Scotchbrite pad... drag it up and down the groove until it comes out clean.

2. Check the slugs for cleanliness too, and for obvious dings or distortion. Replace any that are defective.

3. Buy a can of McLube Sailcote. Spray liberally into the whole length of the groove, and onto all the slugs. It dries rapidly and will not stain sails... by far the best lube for t his application. One application will last for many hoistings of the sail, and I expect that you will be pleased by the improvement.

Jim

Tags
mast, sail