Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-05-2010, 13:00   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post

I used to respect your opinion.
I used to too. Things have gone to the pack these days! When I was young we......

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 13:12   #17
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
other possibilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Who cares how many time you guys get pulled over. You must be bad boatmen if the Coast Guard feels you need to be pulled over.
Back in the days when there were only two dive shops in Monterey, I was head instructor at one of them. The coasties decided to crack down on scuba instructors without six-pack licenses taking students out on boat dives. Of course, what this meant was that legit instructors were being pulled over constantly. In one month, I was given 9 "courtesy inspections," never once with an infraction of any sort. At one point one of the boarding officers said, "Yeah, we know you're legit, but this is the only way we can get the word out to the other fellas."

After the 9th boarding, I made an appointment with the local CC commandant, took my log book and the 9 yellow sheets, and asked him how many yellow sheets he thought I needed to collect before I could make a case regarding restraint of trade.

That was 25 years ago, I haven't been boarded since.

Old 06-05-2010, 14:11   #18

Great inputs everyone and thanks.. I really do enjoy hearing all types of stories, good, bad and the really ugly.. And Bash, your story really seems unacceptable!! I'm glad that you took it by the horns and took it to the head man.. Glad that all worked out.. Again, just to point out why they even had to harass you, just to show the other fellas?!?! Simple minds I guess..

As stated before, I've had good and decent encounters. I also know that it only takes the few bad apples to really tarnish the others..
Old 06-05-2010, 15:08   #19

Like most things, it depends on the individuals in the boarding vessel, but I've actually had good interactions even in bad situations with the Coast Guard. They actually seem to be familiar with the statutes they enforce and are very courteous. This is in drastic contrast to what used to be the Marine Patrol (No longer an entity, thank goodness) and local police enforcement. Marine Patrol was just plain ignorant of the law and a sourly group to put it politely. JSO (Jacksonville Sheriff's Office) conduct a boarding like a car stop with a suspected felon onboard. I have started out all of my contacts with courtesy and wait to see what kind of a response I get. JSO was friendly until they got down below and then started actually blocking my movement inside my own boat - total control freaks. Although I haven't actually been boarded by the Coast Guard, I had a boat sink in its slip while I was away and they were very courteous and professional while the Marine Patrol officer started accusing me of all kinds of fraud and mischief until he learned that I had no insurance and then started in on the dockmaster.

I've been stopped by various organizations and they all have different cultures with very different approaches to boaters. Sometimes the commanding officer is full of himself and just wants to make some point and you happen to be the next boater. Other times, the group will have the newbie go through the checklist of questions, many of which will not apply at all to your vessel. As long as the others are having fun with it and its in the interest of training, I don't usually mind. When people with power start controlling things without provocation and then start making ridiculous orders or becoming obnoxious, it just creates an unnecessary problem. Be courteous until orders start to cross the line. If you know that an order will put your guests, your vessel or yourself in a dangerous situation, don't be afraid to speak up and if need be, contact their commanding officer if it just doesn't make good sense. You can push back firmly without being nasty about it. Some law enforcement officers have a great deal of maritime experience and some should stick to enforcing laws on land.
Old 06-05-2010, 15:52   #20

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
We were boarded April 11 about 13 miles W of Bimini, on our way back to Miami. It was a very friendly and courteous encounter. (It probably helped that we had two young kids on board.) The CG was out in the Straits going back and forth that morning -- one cutter, one helicopter, one RIB -- boarding every US vessel that crossed, from what we could hear on the VHF. And they interviewed all foreign-flagged vessels that crossed, but didn't board.

They seemed a bit like traffic cops who have been given a quota to meet. I don't blame the guys on the boarding boat. They're just following orders. But somewhere up the chain of command, there is silly policy being made.
Old 06-05-2010, 16:17   #21

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
We were boarded on the way home from the keys on 4-20-10 at 1250 2 NM W of Naples.
Well no wonder! You were THOUSANDS of miles off course, and about to run into Italy!

Funny story. A good friend was hired to shoot an event for a major pharma company. He was so excited... and he had to pay a substantial extra charge to have his passport rushed and overnite shipped. He bought a travel guide, and Rosetta Stone CDs of the language. Finally his tickets arrived. It was Naples, Florida...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 20:29   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Yesterday I was working off the west end of Alcatraz. I saw one of the Coast Guard ribs coming almost directly at me. My first thought was "Oh gawd...here we go." They raced right past me and boarded a private fishing boat about 400 yards away. They left the commercial looking boat alone...me. BTW, it looks like they hauled off the skipper of the fishing boat with a DUI. At least they have the sense to know who might be breaking the law.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 21:47   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Well no wonder! You were THOUSANDS of miles off course, and about to run into Italy!

Funny story. A good friend was hired to shoot an event for a major pharma company. He was so excited... and he had to pay a substantial extra charge to have his passport rushed and overnite shipped. He bought a travel guide, and Rosetta Stone CDs of the language. Finally his tickets arrived. It was Naples, Florida...
LOL, classic!! Love those reality checks!! Also a good point, as it was stated that the foreign flagged yachts were just verbally interviewed and not boarded. So, do they really just pick on their own locals more then foreigners?? Just curious of the ratio..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: