Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2008, 06:29   #1

Moorings vs Footloose in BVI

I've bareboated from Moorings 5 or 6 times and last time I was there (May) noted that the old Moorings facility is now occupied by Footloose and Moorings is building a nice new facility. Apparently they are now owned by the same entity.

I'm curious now about the next rental. What are the pros and cons of switching to Footloose?
dbahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 06:37   #2

Boat: Taswell 49
Older boats for less money
George P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 09:03   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
They are owned by the same company but have kept their separate identity. Moorings have combined with Sunsail and they are owned by a huge European Travel business. In the "smashing together" of 2 large companies, the bean counters have managed, as usual, to destroy a lot of good things in pursuit of the bottom line.

Footloose have, so far, managed to escape this so, instead of being just a number in a factory, you will get much more personalised service and be treated as a guest rather than a unit being processed in a hurried impersonal way. Yes - the boats are older (therefore cheaper) but in general they are as well maintained as any other 2nd tier company and the back up, if (or should I say when - its a boat, after all) is also as good as anyone elses. Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 08:16   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Footloose is a division of the Moorings. Moorings owners have the option to put their boats in the Footloose fleet when their Moorings contract is up. (4.5 years for me) As stated above, the Moorings and Sunsail are now owned by the same parent company. A recent letter from the owner indicated he wishes to keep the Moorings and Sunsail fairly independent, at least for a while. However, I have noticed they started sharing many facilities and services, at least in Tortola. Last time I was there it appeared some of the former Sunsail boats were in the Footloose fleet as well.

So, most probably, with Footloose, you will be getting a boat recently out of the Moorings fleet. On average, they are likely to be a bit more worn down and most probably at a bit greater risks of breakdown. However, for the cost savings, I'd strongly consider them. The Moorings guarantees to fix or put you in a replacement boat within 24 hours I believe for major problems. I'd want to be sure Footloose offered something similar.

I can't speak to how personal service with Footloose and Moorings compares other than to say, I have found the service with the Moorings to vary a bit based on location and time of the year. In Tortola, the sheer numbers has made me feel a bit like just a number a times, but this size also brings a measure of efficiency and nice facilities. I had broken hot water heater fixed within two hours.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 08:25   #5

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
We had a 43 footer from Footloose last year and were very pleased.

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 09:28   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Sidenote related to some comments here but not the OP:

Used boats per say are not cheaper for the big charter companies. Since the charter companies don't own the boats, it makes sense for them to have newer boats which have that nice new appeal and require less maintenance. Carrying new boats also allows them to work directly with the manufacturer to get what they want, the way they want it for their fleets.

The reason, I believe that companies like Footloose can afford to have older boats in their fleet is that they are not obligated to pay the owners the guaranteed income that Moorings and Sunsail must. Again, keeping in mind that Footlose is a division of the Moorings, they are not just about charter income from their rentals, but their existence also encourages owners to put new boats in the Moorings, knowing they have another option when their Moorings contract is done.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands