Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2016, 10:49   #61

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Moore 24 Circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hes just so much tuffer than me......55days, indian ocean on a 24 foot boat, oh lets not forget 6 marriages....

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Maybe he's trying to equal Robin Lee Graham's accomplishment of crossing the Indian Ocean on a 24' boat. Graham's boat though was all patched up and had crappy sails.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 11:41   #62

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
This is the exact kind of ridiculous intellectual abstract philosophical thinking that is totally removed. Have a good reflection of reality that as your boat pulls away or sinks beneath from you. I'm sure you will be content in that romantic foggy nonsense. If only I listened to SaltyMonkey you will say.

A scientific explanation of life and the universe is the antithesis of Romanticism. And, to define Man's understanding of the universe/life as "abstract philosophical thinking" is in direct opposition to the scientific method. The "reality" of a sinking boat, Einstein's Theory of Relativity or a monkey climbing Mt. Rushmore only exists in the mind of man. . . without a sentient being neither the universe nor your notion of "reality" exists. Just ask a T-Rex. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 26-08-2016, 12:08   #63
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

SaltyMonkey waves to rognvald's flapping lips, spitting nonsense, as rognvald sinks into the waves still holding onto his philosophy manifesto, realizing the truth of reality, forever doomed by his ridiculous life choices.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 12:39   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
I read a book sometime back, Single handed sailing, I believe by Richard Henderson, there is a chapter which examines the motives and psychology of the lone voyager, I don't have the book in front of me, I seem to remember the book mentioning a Japaneses Single hander, he was asked, why do you do it, his answer was, because I must, It seems to me that a lot of those that do this don't do it for anyone else, not for money or fame, but for an internal desire that most people can't understand, and they don't care if you do or don't, in the section about the motives and psychology involved here, I found some of these traits, if you could call them traits, I find in myself, what life is, what it means, has a much different meaning to these individuals than the vast majority of people, this book is a good read
I agree. I would add those who belittle the achievements of others in their quests for adventure are in serious need of therapy. Did anyone say Edmond Hillary was running away from reality or his wife or girlfriend to climb Mt Everest? Of course not. Ask the weekend mountain climber why they do it? The one uniform answer to this question is because they can and because of the pleasure and sense of accomplishment from achieving a goal.

What is disturbing is the bitter and twisted who go out of their way to disparage and heap scorn on those who get up and as Nike says, just do it.

In other endeavours in life involving individual commitment to a goal one could come up with all kinds of lame brained attacks on their motivations. Be it a ballet dancer who strives day after day to achieve "greatness" or the Opera singer who spends hours each day in training of their voice also to achieve "greatness". And let me define what I mean by greatness. It is something greater than they were.

For the true artist, adventurer and dair I say, sailor. The quest for greatness and achieving goals comes from within and is satisfied within. It has nothing to do with accolades or the outer trappings society may best or on "greatness". I know many Ballet dancers and Opera singers who will never dance at the Met buy are nonetheless imbued with the inner desire to achieve. To achieve their own sense of greatness. To achieve the sense of satisfaction that comes from simply achieving.

As in the arts many aspire, work, train and even perform for arts sake. So with the advenurer, they aspire, train, and just do for adventures sake.

If I ever become old and bitter to the point of attacking others for no other reason than I am jealous or envious and I turn this into mean spirited aggression to others, than please come over and put me out if my missery.

Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 14:43   #65
cruiser

greatness = delusional fantasy. Nike was a mythological messenger.

I have a theory that those that talk of others needing therapy are the ones who need it most. This seems to be proven in practice such as a recent case, a certain OP's discourses on Zika, if I remember correctly, which has resulted in a larger debate in the community on personality disorders -- so far thus narrowed to Narcissistic by our CrowdSourced voting.

The word artist is thrown around like a tidbit from some cheetos bag. But let's use the originating for, from the greek, which roughly translates to "craft". An adventurer doesn't create "craft", doesn't create an art object or tries to find some unanswerable answer in creating an art object that stands alone. An adventurer creates nonsense.

Edmond Hillary who?? Never heard of him. Oh thats the fellow that took credit for the Sherpa's achievements. I remember now.

Webb certainly can do whatever his desires wish. We have no jealousy or envy there. Just don't sell me cheetos where a good Donald Judd is the real thing.
Old 26-08-2016, 14:56   #66

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Kudos to SKG and Goingwalkabout for their perceptive comments. We are driven by our DNA and tempered by our culture. There are some whose lives will lead them down paths of futility and mediocrity, accomplishment and failure . . . others fame. Live life and dance to your drummer. The negative observations and criticisms of others many times mask their own pathological envy and despair. Carpe Diem. Capt. Rognvald
Old 26-08-2016, 15:09   #67
cruiser

Yes yes, I know now rognvald who you really are...

Thoreau oh yes wasn't he's that fellow that went home every evening after being in the woods pretending to live there for two years?

Fame and fortunes are a delusion. Accomplishments futile. Those that truly exist do not speak of their journeys or bring attention to themselves. Here we have both.

Whereas I, remain silent.

SaltyMonkey, that's me.
Old 26-08-2016, 15:37   #68

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...)

**** also happens "sometime down the road".

(...)
Yes. Sometime down every single road. Unless someone calls death a 'liberation' which is, imho, sugar coating.

Not too long a go we watched a silly movie here (Oblivion) where the guy quotes "how can a man die better" (in a non sailing context).

Now I think the quote is hyperbolic and reaches all the way to the matter of the fact: death happens for granted, we can still chose how we die though.

In a cubicle, having spent 30 years saving on their 401(k) or else in their boat, having sailed for 30 years to countless locations and experiences?

A choice. Being able to make one, and making it, is freedom. It may be happiness too, at times. I guess.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 15:54   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

A choice. Being able to make one, and making it, is freedom. It may be happiness too, at times. I guess.

b.
Maybe, but the Buddhist would say that you only needed to "Sit" to find happiness.

My admiration goes to those that try and make the world a better place at the cost of fame, fortune, or self indulgent "adventure". There's something I could never do. Too many professions to list but I think you get the idea and solo sailing in a Moore 24 is not amongst them.
Old 26-08-2016, 15:55   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Moore 24 Circumnavigation

Quote:
Let's cut all the hyperbole, OK? All that stuff you say is irrelevant and washes out. He also had the currents working for him. What's important is that he accomplished the task. Sailing across the F* Indian ocean with few supplies is impressive.

Still, you have to question why. There is no inherent purpose except bravado or some zen thing going on inside his brain that has no basis in reality. If he, say, needed to travel from point A to B in his house for work purposes, or for some other constraint, and he only had 1 dollar to his name, it would make more sense to me. But to go out there just for s. kicks or to read books and to do it so many times, well, I don't see the point except a bunch of wally horse romanticism projected nonsense. I don't care how successful he was. That's only surface snuff.

The only reason humans went to sea in the first place is for some economic reasons -- fishing; conquering a new land; trade. Here we come into this whole concept of recreational boating and somehow that has some base purpose. Guess what. My crap filter is full here. "because it's there" is no answer because there is no there-there.
Salty.. you have to have experienced it to understand it.. I've done 47 days solo in a Bene 321 from the Carib to the UK.. and its what hooked me on singlehanding.. that incuded 10 days becalmed
Few can take the solitude without the motivation of an end goal... Mottessier got the Bug.. Knox Johnson was after the money..dogged on and got it.. and Crowther..?? he just lost the plot.
Its buldi amazing out there on your own.. I love my occasional solo deliveries and suffer my crewed ones.. they need constant amusement else they start whinging.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 16:01   #71

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes.

There is a new entry in his blog now. Gives account of i.a. the landfall day(-s).

He looks somewhat exhausted. She looks mint. ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 16:01   #72
cruiser

Mottessier was French. We know all about the French! As a true Brit you should not LIKE the French. Where's your sense, man? You've been in Port too long. Get it back.

Knox Johnson never bathed. That should lend enough of an argument to being unreasonable in the head.

Crowther was a tri sailor. We know about tri sailors and their mental states.

Yes there isn't nothing worse that a crew, or a race crew at that.

And yes...

I don't see you bloating on blogs which gives further evidence about the true nature of true sailors.
Old 26-08-2016, 16:09   #73

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Mottessier was French. We know all about the French! As a true Brit you should not LIKE the French. Where's your sense, man? You've been in Port too long. Get it back.

Knox Johnson never bathed. That should lend enough of an argument to being unreasonable in the head.

Crowther was a tri sailor. We know about tri sailors and their mental states.

Yes there isn't nothing worse that a crew, or a race crew at that.

And yes...

I don't see you bloating on blogs which gives further evidence about the true nature of true sailors.
So, he writes a blog? and?........you carry on looking for attention on cruisers forum, what's the difference?
The mans motives are his, hes entitled to them, what's the problem. Personally if I was you I'd be questioning my own motives regarding your need to devalue his.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 16:09   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Moore 24 Circumnavigation

Quote:
Maybe, but the Buddhist would say that you only needed to "Sit" to find happiness.

My admiration goes to those that try and make the world a better place at the cost of fame, fortune, or self indulgent "adventure". There's something I could never do. Too many professions to list but I think you get the idea and solo sailing in a Moore 24 is not amongst them.
If I can make just one person genuinely smile or laugh each day (apart from when I'm 'soloing') I figure I'm fulfilling life's mission..
Beats the **** outa sitting at a desk in a Corporate Bank..
My time as a cocktail barman was much more rewarding..
The things one is forced to do to afford sailing solo..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 16:15   #75
cruiser

oh yes YES i know that feeling sailing in the moonlight, pissing off the bow, yelping MonkeySongs for only the fishies to hear. I know that HIGH you feel sailing alone, alone all the way out at sea...feeling the transformation and coming back and wanting to go out for MORE.

But then I realised...its an addiction, like a drug, that sucks you deeper and deeper into a deluse. And when you see the professionals, those mariners...oh that look in their eye... as they try to ignore it idiocy of the rec sailors who play under the Trident of Neptune. They gave up trying to talk sense into the civilians. Instead they smile and offer to fix the boat or help them along for a price.

THAT my friends is reality

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation