Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2016, 13:54   #31
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Moore 24 Circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Sailing from Darwin to Durban in 55 days, in this size of the boat, solo, is sizzling fast.
Let's cut all the hyperbole, OK? All that stuff you say is irrelevant and washes out. He also had the currents working for him. What's important is that he accomplished the task. Sailing across the F* Indian ocean with few supplies is impressive.

Still, you have to question why. There is no inherent purpose except bravado or some zen thing going on inside his brain that has no basis in reality. If he, say, needed to travel from point A to B in his house for work purposes, or for some other constraint, and he only had 1 dollar to his name, it would make more sense to me. But to go out there just for s. kicks or to read books and to do it so many times, well, I don't see the point except a bunch of wally horse romanticism projected nonsense. I don't care how successful he was. That's only surface snuff.

The only reason humans went to sea in the first place is for some economic reasons -- fishing; conquering a new land; trade. Here we come into this whole concept of recreational boating and somehow that has some base purpose. Guess what. My crap filter is full here. "because it's there" is no answer because there is no there-there.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 13:59   #32
cruiser

It's a self-centered, narcissistic act that helps no one, no animal, no monkeys, nobody.
Old 25-08-2016, 14:06   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Guess what. My crap filter is full here.
And YOU, monkey, are the one who filled that filter with your own crap.

Quote:
It's a self-centered, narcissistic act that helps no one, no animal, no monkeys, nobody.
And who have you helped today, monkey? Your posts denigrating others accomplishments don't seem very helpful. Where is it written that one's sailing activities are meaningless unless they "help someone".

Sheesh....

Jim
Old 25-08-2016, 14:14   #34
cruiser

There are two side of the coins there, Jimbore, and you'd better tell people what's on both sides of their coin before they bet. Go selfish into the sea all you want, but confess the truth. Don't try and sell us any fresh fish in the word selfish.
Old 25-08-2016, 14:15   #35

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
What do you think of him not being able to make port in the final few miles due to strong headwinds? If anyone can pull that off it would be Web. Can't wait to read about it.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 14:16   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
What do you think of him not being able to make port in the final few miles due to strong headwinds? If anyone can pull that off it would be Web. Can't wait to read about it.
I can't either, and I think he did the most prudent thing and waited it out in some way. Lying ahull, running, whatever. That kind of patience is impressive.
Old 25-08-2016, 15:16   #37

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
He seems adept at finding optimistic partners!
Maybe he should just date rather than get married ...... unless he is drawing alimony!
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 15:34   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

I must admit I think I am getting Monkey's drift.

Yes. The itch is not reasonable. Once out "there" we hardly ever feel any "there". We mostly feel: excessive cold/heat, discomfort, lack of sleep, lack of beer, boils, burns, bruises and (yes) we will at times ask ourselves "what the (-) am I doing here".

And then we make the landfall (I remember landing in Richards Bay I actually looked at the landline and felt zero urge to land) and we may love and kiss the land for the first 24 hours and, in the more severe cases, for a couple of weeks or months.

The point is, some time down the road, this completely unreasonable, selfish and pointless itch ... returns.

I am afraid this is may also be Webb's case.

I was reading about this maybe a week ago on the web: this is in fact how we are wired: we tend to recall the good moments more often and so, over time, this picture of (otherwise not existing) bliss is what forms our consecutive (futile) actions.

I am not sure Webb would necessarily agree with me on the above. But that's how I feel it; and that's how many of our sailing friends live: from one unreasonable sea itch to another ;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 15:43   #39

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I think as he got (I believe) hit by the front, he opted to sit it out without getting too blown away.

He could have as well turned round and run to Richards. But running requires more concentration than sitting out.

I am not sure he used his yb for weather (I think he did not) and so he hoped for the front to be mild and not lasting. Or maybe he talked to Durban on the vhf and they told him the front forecast is not too bad.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 15:49   #40

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

Yes. The itch is not reasonable. Once out "there" we hardly ever feel any "there". We mostly feel: excessive cold/heat, discomfort, lack of sleep, lack of beer, boils, burns, bruises and (yes) we will at times ask ourselves "what the (-) am I doing here".

And then we make the landfall (I remember landing in Richards Bay I actually looked at the landline and felt zero urge to land) and we may love and kiss the land for the first 24 hours and, in the more severe cases, for a couple of weeks or months.

The point is, some time down the road, this completely unreasonable, selfish and pointless itch ... returns.

I am afraid this is may also be Webb's case.

I was reading about this maybe a week ago on the web: this is in fact how we are wired: we tend to recall the good moments more often and so, over time, this picture of (otherwise not existing) bliss is what forms our consecutive (futile) actions.

I am not sure Webb would necessarily agree with me on the above. But that's how I feel it; and that's how many of our sailing friends live: from one unreasonable sea itch to another ;-)

Cheers,
b.
It's called getting high.

Some do it with various drugs. Some use weed, others pills, and for many liquids.

Sailors like to get high on sunshine with some combining that with a bit of exercise and their drug of choice. That's it!

I recently told a guy that I had a great weekend because I got really high while sailing, cycling, or running in the sun. He didn't understand.

Check the guys that get high in Summer during the Winter months when the sun isn't always available. They are not the same. They are not as happy and upbeat which can be like a guy that has sailed a lot then is suddenly on land in a room
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 16:01   #41

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Here is a link to Webbs blog: self-portrait in the present sea journal
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 18:51   #42
cruiser

Quote:

Yes. The itch is not reasonable. ...

Yes, but I also call that a Fatal Attraction. You can call it high, a calling, or whatever, but realistically you ain't no fish. You're basically in a desert, surrounded by water that is undrinkable. **** also happens "sometime down the road". All that bliss sweet stuff is in your mind. All that "whatever happens happens" is just sweet talk now in this lovely TV moment. I bring it up because I know a lot of experienced professionals who have been doing it their whole lives who are absolutely terrified of the sea. That's not just a misuse of words like "respect". That's terrified. They know what it can do. They've seen it done. They still go because the money is great, the freedom is great, but the thought is in their mind and they will readily admit that terror to themselves and others. Maybe that's why they are so good at what they do.

Sure, you've seen **** happen too. My point is not to sugar coat it.
Old 25-08-2016, 19:14   #43

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

As Webb himself says, he considers himself an Artist, where the sea is his medium. He doesn't ask anyone's approval, or for any help, and on his first 5 circumnavigations, had no tracking or emergency devices. What he does, he does for himself. Others should not try to understand, and certainly should not judge.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 19:45   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Thats about 4.2 Knts per hour. Seems reasonable for a 24 ft boat.
Oh Monkey, Monkey, Monkey. 4.3 Knts per hr. would probably get him to the sun and back in 55 days. I haven't done the math but at that rate of acceleration he would be moving pretty fast.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 19:55   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Oh Monkey, Monkey, Monkey. 4.3 Knts per hr. would probably get him to the sun and back in 55 days. I haven't done the math but at that rate of acceleration he would be moving pretty fast.
I don't care 4.2 knotts is nice slow and easy. Of course a bigger boat at 8 would have been wonderfullllller.

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation