Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2016, 19:57   #46
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Moore 24 Circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
As Webb himself says, he considers himself an Artist, where the sea is his medium. He doesn't ask anyone's approval, or for any help, and on his first 5 circumnavigations, had no tracking or emergency devices. What he does, he does for himself. Others should not try to understand, and certainly should not judge.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
He can call himself Queen Victoria for all we care.

He ain't no artist, and we can call him an A.H. and judge him any which way we want. Dont dare tell us what we can or cannot do.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 20:19   #47

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

He hasn't moved from his slip in Durban. Wish he would post some updates. There's plenty of time to sleep later you know.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 20:33   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
He hasn't moved from his slip in Durban. Wish he would post some updates. There's plenty of time to sleep later you know.
He's catching up on his pizza craving and recovering, I'm sure. He'll get to the blog stuff sooner or later, unless something semi-catastrophic happened we don't know about.
Old 25-08-2016, 20:36   #49
cruiser

Article:

Old salt puts in at one of his favourite ports | IOL
Old 25-08-2016, 20:40   #50

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Good work Webb, what an inspiring journey. Much better than most of the BS around that people call art. This is real. Much more worthwhile than all the BS big dollar sponsored "adventures". Much less narcissistic than most with there big expensive yachts, houses and cars. Good on him!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-08-2016, 20:46   #51

Boat: Catalina 470

Hes just so much tuffer than me......55days, indian ocean on a 24 foot boat, oh lets not forget 6 marriages....

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 21:00   #52

Boat: Westsail 32

I read a book sometime back, Single handed sailing, I believe by Richard Henderson, there is a chapter which examines the motives and psychology of the lone voyager, I don't have the book in front of me, I seem to remember the book mentioning a Japaneses Single hander, he was asked, why do you do it, his answer was, because I must, It seems to me that a lot of those that do this don't do it for anyone else, not for money or fame, but for an internal desire that most people can't understand, and they don't care if you do or don't, in the section about the motives and psychology involved here, I found some of these traits, if you could call them traits, I find in myself, what life is, what it means, has a much different meaning to these individuals than the vast majority of people, this book is a good read
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 21:50   #53
cruiser

Id calll it a hock of malarky. Go to read books. Go to see whats around the corner. Go to get away from your neurotic life. Go to runaway from your 6 wives. Go because you cant deal with working. Go because you are retired and this is the cheapest place you can find. Go to taste pizzas. Go for something but dont feed me romantic nonesnse about must or useless abstractions that habe no meaning.
Old 26-08-2016, 03:21   #54

Well they say empty vessels make the most noise.
Monkey boy I pity you.
Bait me all you want I don't feed trolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 07:11   #55
cruiser

No trolling here. Spoken from the heart and mind of SaltyMonkey.

PROs:
He makes good decisions while sailing.

CONs:
There's no point.
Old 26-08-2016, 08:35   #56

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

He just posted to his blog.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 08:43   #57
cruiser

Sort of a fun time.
Old 26-08-2016, 08:48   #58
cruiser

My only question is what were the circumstances that forced him to take a dangerous gybe instead of the usual heading into the wind and falling off in storm conditions?
Old 26-08-2016, 10:08   #59

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"Sailing across the F* Indian ocean with few supplies is impressive. . .
Still, you have to question why. There is no inherent purpose except bravado or some zen thing going on inside his brain that has no basis in reality."
Salty Monkey

I find it interesting when people speak about reality. Reality can only be a subjective concept in a person's brain based upon his/her culture, education and intelligence. There is no objective reality since from a purely scientific and ontological perspective, it cannot be objectively quantified. The earth is 5 billion years old; the universe is almost 14 billion years old and continues to expand with no theoretical end. There are more galaxies in the universe than every grain of sand on every beach on our planet. So, when one speaks about reality, it is a pathetic illusion needed by unenlightened people to explain something that cannot be explained and give order to life that is without order or meaning. Is the concept of reality of a refugee in South Sudan the same as a Presbyterian minister in Harvard, Mass.? Was the reality of the successful painter/sculptor Picasso the same as Van Gogh who died penniless and believed he was a failure? Is the reality of Webb Chiles the same as your local plumber? The answer is yes since life has no meaning other than that which is imagined by the questioner and therefore life does not need explanations, rationales, or quantification. These are only pathetic attempts by a pathetic species, Man, to define himself and the world around him. Want to sail around the world alone in a 24-foot boat? Want to mission to the poor of Bangladesh? How about eat an ice cream cone on a hot Summer day? Do these have any "basis in reality?" Just ask the Simian . . . I'm sure he'll define it for you. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 26-08-2016, 10:16   #60
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"Sailing across the F* Indian ocean with few supplies is impressive. . .
Still, you have to question why. There is no inherent purpose except bravado or some zen thing going on inside his brain that has no basis in reality."
Salty Monkey

I find it interesting when people speak about reality. Reality can only be a subjective concept in a person's brain based upon his/her culture, education and intelligence. There is no objective reality since from a purely scientific and ontological perspective, it cannot be objectively quantified. The earth is 5 billion years old; the universe is almost 14 billion years old and continues to expand with no theoretical end. There are more galaxies in the universe than every grain of sand on every beach on our planet. So, when one speaks about reality, it is a pathetic illusion needed by unenlightened people to explain something that cannot be explained and give order to life that is without order or meaning. Is the concept of reality of a refugee in South Sudan the same as a Presbyterian minister in Harvard, Mass.? Was the reality of the successful painter/sculptor Picasso the same as Van Gogh who died penniless and believed he was a failure? Is the reality of Webb Chiles the same as your local plumber? The answer is yes since life has no meaning other than that which is imagined by the questioner and therefore life does not need explanations, rationales, or quantification. These are only pathetic attempts by a pathetic species, Man, to define himself and the world around him. Want to sail around the world alone in a 24-foot boat? Want to mission to the poor of Bangladesh? How about eat an ice cream cone on a hot Summer day? Do these have any "basis in reality?" Just ask the Simian . . . I'm sure he'll define it for you. Good luck and safe sailing.
This is the exact kind of ridiculous intellectual abstract philosophical thinking that is totally removed. Have a good reflection of reality that as your boat pulls away or sinks beneath from you. I'm sure you will be content in that romantic foggy nonsense. If only I listened to SaltyMonkey you will say.

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation