Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2011, 20:34   #16

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Monohull to Multihull

I went from a 26-foot mono to a 26-foot tri and then to a larger mono again.

For Bahamas cruising I really like the shallower draft multis have. I much preferred sailing flat as well as the better performance in light air. With a smaller boat, I did not like the sea handling ability, smaller volume or smaller carrying capacity of the tri, which is why I got rid of it - especially the under deck slamming.

I'd make the change from my current 30-foot mono to a catamaran in a second if there wasn't such as price difference. At 1/4 the cost, my mono gets me where I want to go and allows me a lot more money for other things, including cruising expenses.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 21:25   #17

Boat: Baba 30

I hear the under deck slamming is an issue with all cats ... is this true ?
kiper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 21:36   #18

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiper204 View Post
Pfft
No
Old 29-05-2011, 21:48   #19
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post

I'd make the change from my current 30-foot mono to a catamaran in a second if there wasn't such as price difference. At 1/4 the cost, my mono gets me where I want to go and allows me a lot more money for other things, including cruising expenses.
Got it in a nutshell.

Quote:
Yes. But only to windward in a chop, and they say you shouldn't keep that angle up for long anyway, or you'll stress the boat. It is, the only disadvantage except for price.

I recently looked at jumping ship too, here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cat-59845.html

I also did a search - there were loads of threads, but this 28 page thread was very interesting indeed: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tis-19808.html
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 22:00   #20

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Yes. But only to windward in a chop, and they say you shouldn't keep that angle up for long anyway, or you'll stress the boat. It is, the only disadvantage except for price.
Incorrect

As an owner, builder and sailor of many catamarans, I can tell you that your comment is a gross generalisation and on the whole, incorrect.

Sure, there are some that it can be an issue with, but generally, especially if buying or building a good one, slamming is a non issue.

If you believe this is a problem perhaps you need to reassess the catamarans you were looking at?
Old 29-05-2011, 23:01   #21
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Incorrect

As an owner, builder and sailor of many catamarans, I can tell you that your comment is a gross generalisation and on the whole, incorrect.

Sure, there are some that it can be an issue with, but generally, especially if buying or building a good one, slamming is a non issue.

If you believe this is a problem perhaps you need to reassess the catamarans you were looking at?
I am not arguing here, just relating my experience and understanding.... and seeking the truth from those wiser than me... it's why I'm here...

To be honest, I've only ever sailed on two large cats... but I found this written all over the place, and it makes sense from my beachcat racing experience.

I do have a lot of experience racing small cats... (Dart 18s, Hobie 16s, a Hobie 18, a TopCat)... and they all have issues going hard to wind in a large swell. Either, in the case of rounded hulls, (like Hobies), they bounce over the wave and slam down; or in the case of streamlined cats (Darts) they plough straight into the waves, which puts the brakes on, if not pitchpoling the boat.

Cats have four corners, and if one corner is out of the water in a chop, then there are stresses being put on the hull. When the hull slams back down, more stress. Bigger cats have more weight, which would make more stress surely? Why isn't this an issue with cruising cats? I always thought you avoided slamming by sailing well, rather than it being an inbuilt function...?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 01:48   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Incorrect

QFT

Some do many dont, mine doesn't.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 03:45   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Monohull to Multihull

If its got a low freeboard and a hard foredeck it Will slam in sea's ahead of the beam... theres a lot of old design cats that do... in fact I cannot think of any that don't... the newer designs have increased beam and freeboard which go a long way to reduce this effect to a minimum...
Thats why I preferred Wharrams... and the fact they're low budget...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 04:38   #24
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Actually Boatman, increased beam increases slamming; indeed, many naval architects express required bridgedeck clearance as a ratio to BWL (or where available, tunnel width). The keys are a relatively short bridgdeck with adequate bridgedeck clearance, a smooth shape with minimal, or no protrusions and a gradual slope at the leading edge (60 degrees or better). Anyway, the point is that not all cats have an issue with slamming.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 05:14   #25

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
I had read bumfuzzle but its been awhile, I'll have to go back and refresh my memory.
We were only looking at Gemini's because they have the shallowest draft and werent as expensive. ( could it be any smaller than the 30ft Baba we use now?? ...lol .) If we bought a Gemini we could still keep our monohull.... if we decide to step up to the 40+ cats then we have to sell her ..... she would be hard to let go.
Coupla thoughts: why would you feel the need to own two boats? Based on what I see in the ID section on posts, many seem to. Or are people listing all the boats they have had in the past? And why would they do that?

The other is I know a couple with a Gemini. They have owned it for years and like most, sail very little. They do spend a lot of weekends at the dock, though, and have added every gizmo know to civilized man AND woman. I haven't actually measured it but every time I look, it seems to ride lower in the water. I'd say any speed advantage they once had is long gone. I've owned a cat and if I had the dough, I'd have another, but for a family, I'd say the Gemini is too small.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 05:25   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

When I bought Imagine in St. Maarten. I met a couple from South Africa with a boy & a girl. The parents, and each kid had their own berth, and the common salon & galley was very roomy.

I have seen a family of 4 on a 22 ft, catalina. The wife was Filipina, small, and the 2 kids were under 4. Now that still had to be crowded, and no standing room, except for the kids.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 06:49   #27
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

another mono vs catamaran thread?? How many does this make?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 07:06   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Actually Boatman, increased beam increases slamming; indeed, many naval architects express required bridgedeck clearance as a ratio to BWL (or where available, tunnel width). The keys are a relatively short bridgdeck with adequate bridgedeck clearance, a smooth shape with minimal, or no protrusions and a gradual slope at the leading edge (60 degrees or better). Anyway, the point is that not all cats have an issue with slamming.

Brad
Sorry Brad.... don't read a lot of techie stuff... wrong type of brain... it switches off.
All I can refer by is what I've experienced... that is a Prout/Iroquois/Catalac etc with their low bridge decks and narrow beams all slam...
I found that the Wharram's with the higher free-board and netting 'decking' fore and aft were a lot more comfortable and the wider beam gave an increased stability in waves from the quarter...
I also acknowledged that today's boats have resolved these problems to a great extent..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 12:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Got it in a nutshell.

I recently looked at jumping ship too, here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cat-59845.html

I also did a search - there were loads of threads, but this 28 page thread was very interesting indeed: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tis-19808.html
Thank you for all the good info !!!
Old 30-05-2011, 12:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Coupla thoughts: why would you feel the need to own two boats? Based on what I see in the ID section on posts, many seem to. Or are people listing all the boats they have had in the past? And why would they do that?

We love the boat, and it's great for going north. Plus if we did sell her in this market we wouldnt get anywhere near what shes worth. Our marina is dirt cheap and near our house and a cat is not a good Chesapeake Bay boat. If we buy a cat it would only be for a few years to play in the Islands and then we would sell it. The cat would have no sentimental value ... our Baba does.

The other is I know a couple with a Gemini. They have owned it for years and like most, sail very little. They do spend a lot of weekends at the dock, though, and have added every gizmo know to civilized man AND woman. I haven't actually measured it but every time I look, it seems to ride lower in the water. I'd say any speed advantage they once had is long gone. I've owned a cat and if I had the dough, I'd have another, but for a family, I'd say the Gemini is too small.
Well there is only two of us and we have to intention of having kids, so its just us and the damn cat ...lol. We are simple and hate clutter so overloading with weight wouldnt be an issue. I also want to say that people that dont sail shouldnt have sailboats.

Tags
monohull, multihull