Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 13:33   #31

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2
Re: Monohull sailboat size for shorthanded cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dody View Post
This is all very nice, but I haven't heard anyone suggesting a ketch.

You've got your sail-area on two masts. The mainsail is much smaller and easy to handle in all conditions, you don't need electric winches etc. but at the same time you've got the comfort of the bigger boat.

Fair winds
Dody

PS: I find handling in port much easier with a bigger boat as long as the engine is operational. It starts already with the weight: a sudden puff of wind won't push her off as quickly as a smaller boat.
See my Earlier Post~!! 'I've sailed my Irwin43 Sloop single handed for many thousands of miles in ocean and did not experience any problems with sail handling. Now I'm older believe I should have purchased a Ketch for reduced sail weight.'
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 13:47   #32

Boat: Rafiki 37

ugh double post

quote!=edit
Old 26-05-2016, 13:53   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

My personal feeling is that 33' to 37' is the sweet spot for single handing and living aboard. Big enough to have most of the extras like a hot water tank, pressure water etc but small enough to easily sail single handedly and dock.

I have a 36' though so I may be biased!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
I've sailed vessels from 15ft to 98ft and believe raising a spinnaker single handed in anything but light winds is asking for trouble, most cruising sailors would agree. We're not joy riders out for a weekend sail, but on the water 365 days/yr and extremely mindful of how wind can damage your vessel if not managed correctly.
Just yesterday I saw Foolish hoist up his spinny single-handed in 20+ knot winds and he literally wrote the book on single-handed racing, so I think he approaches things differently
Old 26-05-2016, 14:03   #34

Just for clarification, since it does seem to make a difference: When I say "short-handed" I definitely mean 2 persons for passages, maybe even a guest to have 3. I'd like to limit my single-handed sailing to an occasional one-day or one-night jump in pleasant weather only. As was pointed out already... no, I am not crazy enough to try and fly a spinnaker in brisk winds in the middle of the ocean all by myself.

Matthias

P.S.
I am both very happy and overwhelmed by the tremendous response that my first little post has gotten from the community here; thank you all so much for taking the time! That being said, I will be on an aeroplane going halfway around the world tonight, with little access to the interwebs for several weeks thereafter. Please do not mistake my lack of responding for a lack of appreciation or interest - I shall reconnect as soon as I get back in early July!!!
GlobalPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 14:50   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalPlayer View Post
Hi B -

Thanks for the details... questions regarding two of the proposed items of importance:
  • Hard racing-style dodger: I have virtually never seen a cruiser that did not have a dodger up at all times, even when not at sea. Why do you suppose the vast majority are stainless steel framing with fabric instead of hard designs? Any other reason than cost? Is there perhaps some sort of "removable hardtop" design as a compromise?
  • Twin APs: I assume this is because of long blue-water crossings with extended runs on the same tack with a single off-center AP, and Murphy's Law would dictate that the single AP often ends up on the unusable/higher windward side of the stern? And what do you recommend as a "top shelf" AP?

Matthias
Matthias:

Dodgers: I believe it is the cost and the ease off adding one on any boat in no time as a post-mod. Also, most people will call a hard dodger UGLY, thou this not always is the case. You can have a removable hardtop if you wish, but what do you do with it once removed? My take - have a slider Foncia style:
http://yachtpals.com/files/userimages/fonciaskipper.jpg
http://yachtyakka.co.nz/wp/wp-conten...76-580x359.jpg

BTW you can view hard forward glass dodgers like a 'compromise of sorts' (Najad, HR, etc.) BUT ... nothing beats protection like this:
http://www.devalk.nl/images/thumbnai...e/39354_8e.jpg

Nothing, except a proper pilot house Bougainvillea style.
http://photos.inautia.com/barcosOcas...749504567x.jpg

Twin APs: I think it is no brainer as you just remove one drive arm and set the opposite one and then you have all the time of this world to sort out the problem. Also, if you have ever had statistics at school, you will know what happens to failure odds when you have two identical kits of which you only need one at a time (assuming the failure point is not at the same point of the system). When system 2 dies, you take its components to rebuild system 1 ...

Top shelf. Pretty anything mainstream provided you use the biggest arm there is. Most APs die because most cruisers opt for the standard kit and do not know how to trim/adjust AP parameters. I have seen many B&G, NKE and other makes and often the components are not of the same company (e.g. the hydraulic arms).

IMHO weigh in your mind that a short-handed crew is just like any other two singlehanded crews. Your partner may be asleep, discapacitated or overboard. Each one must be able to manage things solo and do so in rain, storm and after 24 hours of no sleep. Plan accordingly and you will have many safe passages. IMHO IMHO off course.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 14:58   #36

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

If you want a bigger boat that is easier to sail split the sail area. The genoa on a 40 foot sloop will take a lot of work to change. So you just won't do it and will try to sail with it rolled up. If you had a 40 cutter the sail could be smaller easier to change. Still most likely won't change but you can roll it up and continue on under main and staysail. 40 foot ketch (too small for this rig) sails will now be easier to change but might as well get a bigger boat then. That's how we ended up at 50 feet lol. The head sail on our 50 is not that much bigger than our old 37 foot cutter.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 15:21   #37

Boat: contessa 32

Bring Money!
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 18:05   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

My last monohull was a 47ft - and I could sail her pretty easily single handed. I still consider her a great boat - the size was perfect for me with good head room (i'm just about 2 meters tall/6'6") and plenty of storage space and the abiiity to take long term provision including tools and a decent size dinghy and outboard. Nowaday, something like an Amel 53 would fit my needs / requirements very well and I would be comfortable single handing one with its robust systems and simple sail handling arrangements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalPlayer View Post
Trying to decide on a preferable monohull size for liveaboard around-the-world cruising, by myself and as a couple. I'm sure I could ask 100 and get 100 different replies on such a subjective topic... perhaps someone can simply point me to an existing thread. But here it goes:

As a creature of comfort, I think bigger is better. Living aboard by myself or as a couple on a 43-48 foot boat with plenty of amenities and storage beats being cramped on a 34-38 foot boat, in my opinion. I'd also like to think that the boat handles a bit smoother in rough seas than a smaller one. It also seems more practical for necessary and unnecessary add-ons and toys, such as space for solar panels, storage of life raft, etc.

On the other hand, everything gets proportionally bigger, not just the cost for berthing, haul-out, and equipment repair and replacement. While I have no problem jumping the main halyard on a 34-footer, hoisting that main sail on a 48-footer is almost impossible without electric winches (or having a mast-furling main) unless it's perfectly calm. I'm also sure that whatever can go wrong will go wrong, especially when times are tough in rough seas, and fixing things will also be more problematic the bigger the boat gets.

So, my basic question is for feedback on cons regarding shorthanded sailing of larger monohulls. I don't mean for this to become yet another furling vs. reefing thread... preferably just some brief experience blips from cruisers with mid-40s monohulls and 1 or 2-person crews. What challenges should I be especially prepared for?

Thanks a lot,
Matthias
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 19:14   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I single hand a 33 foot boat and would caution as you get bigger ---- the size of the sails get bigger and the forces at work get HUGE.

For example the jib on a 51' boat is bigger than the entire sail area of my boat. If something starts going ugly, you can't man-handle the sail. Also as boat size goes up there is a tendency to raise the boom. This makes stowing and reefing more difficult. Yes you can have jacks and 2-line reefing. But when those systems get messed up, it is harder to clear it.

There is a huge difference between single handing and double-handing. IMHO, max size depends on your age, physical condition and design. At a pretty fit 61 I can day sail the 33 and would feel comfortable sailing a 37-39' long distances. Bigger than that, I would look for at least one crew member. YMMV

+1 on the docking- tons of practice. But many newer large boats have thrusters that make it even easier.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 19:33   #40

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design

as Bul's post aptly illustrates...your physical size is so important as to what boat size is good for you...if your 5'8 , 170 lbs...what you can handle is vastly different then Bul's 6'6" limits...
I went sailing recently with a 4'11" women, lots of fun... my 37 footer was absolutely gigantic; looking at her on deck and below...I found myself intrigued with the benefits of having such a tiny partner, liveaboard/cruising...
perhaps on a shorthanded sailboat physical size is everything, then age...
Old 26-05-2016, 20:14   #41

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

If the other person you are with is not really experienced or skilled at sailing, you are singlehanding. (Well, that may seem a bit extreme but often true) It sounds like you may do well to crew on some bigger boats, the size you are considering, in a wide variety of conditions before you decide. I would not consider a boat based on how it feels on the inside, but by how comfortable you are on the outside when things are rough.
First to Foolish's post I say, Amen. Here, my recommendation, get this:
Sparkman & Stephens: Design 1903 - Hughes 38
or
PILOT 35 (HINCKLEY) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
or maybe a Valiant 40 and hold at that length
but that's just me
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 20:17   #42

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHAW View Post
as Bul's post aptly illustrates...your physical size is so important as to what boat size is good for you...if your 5'8 , 170 lbs...what you can handle is vastly different then Bul's 6'6" limits...
I went sailing recently with a 4'11" women, lots of fun... my 37 footer was absolutely gigantic; looking at her on deck and below...I found myself intrigued with the benefits of having such a tiny partner, liveaboard/cruising...
perhaps on a shorthanded sailboat physical size is everything, then age...
You bring up a good point...if a bit of tongue n cheeck. Size of the sailor does matter. Im 5' even. It is much more difficult for me to do somethings thsn my 6' so. I dont have the reach, or grip size. Even stairs take more effort. Its vital that each of you can handle the boat single handed if need be, so some compromise might need to be made or equipment might be needed to accommodate every crew member.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 21:41   #43

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
124.5 ft with a captain and stewardess is preferable.
Ah, you must be thinking of the same Gloucester schooner I am!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 23:19   #44

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Correct. And what is an electric toilet ?
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 23:23   #45

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Not that long ago, 30 + or - was the "sweet spot", then 40'.
is it now 50'?
Yes so true. 32 feet in my case for extended cruising. Electric toilet.....Hmmm
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, hull, monohull, sail, sailboat, size