Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2019, 17:13   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
MMSI for a new boat

I am purchasing a new boat and need an MMSI number for several items on the boat (VHF, EPIRB, AIS). The boat will be documented, not state registered and will travel internationally (can't use Boat US registration). Is there a way to get an MMSI number before I get my USCG documentation number, which takes time. I did it before by leaving the documentation number blank on the online registration, but requires one now and won't let me proceed without one.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 17:21   #2

Boat: Newport 28
Re: MMSI for a new boat

Might be worth giving them a call to see if they can edit your registration. I believe I was issued a number instantly upon my registration, so they might be able to finish filling that out and get you set up.
Old 11-09-2019, 17:28   #3

Sorry. Who is the "them".
Old 11-09-2019, 17:48   #4

Boat: Passport 40

Is this a NEW boat, or a new to you boat?

The MMSI should be processed with the FCC. It's complicated from a usability standpoint, damn government websites, acronyms and particularily the FCC looks like an agency that enjoys doing everything in a 70s obscure way.

I don't know if it still works in that archaic way, but you have to get an FPN, and then this and that and it's all complicated for no reason. BUT, as every government thing, if you follow the instructions, you can make it. It's just cumbersome, and full of forms and absurdity.

Anyhow, I am not looking to discourage you, just needed to vent. Haha. You will need a Restricted Operator's License, and a Ship Station License. You can get both online, thru payment basically. The second one will assign you an MMSI. All of this assuming a brand new boat.

If it's only new to you, and the previous owner had an FCC registered mmsi, you can get him to "cancel" his Ship Station, and you can get that same mmsi by requesting that MMSI number when getting your own Ship Station License.

BTW none of this requires you to have ship's documentation.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 17:57   #5

It is a new new boat. Without the documentation number I get stuck following the rules. The suggestion to call the FCC for help sort of backfired. When I called and said I need help with MMSI they thought I had a speech impediment. Say it out loud. You won't argue with them.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:57   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

There is no way to get an MMSI number from the FCC without formal boat number. You are just wasting your time.
Obtain the registration number and only then fill the online form on the FCC site.
It is an ardouos process, however, ir may be completed in around 30 minutes net and the FCC station licence will be issued in 24-48 hours (with the MMSI on the licence).
Old 12-09-2019, 11:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
There is no way to get an MMSI number from the FCC without formal boat number. You are just wasting your time.
Obtain the registration number and only then fill the online form on the FCC site.
It is an ardouos process, however, ir may be completed in around 30 minutes net and the FCC station licence will be issued in 24-48 hours (with the MMSI on the licence).
Thanks. I was pretty sure that was the drill. When I last did it in 2015 I put "pending" in the Documentation field and it rejected, but when I left it blank it gave me my number. I amended the filing when I got the documentation number. The problem then, was that there was no way to get your documentation faster than about 3 months and as I was already cruising having a registered EPIRB and AIS was critical. I am having an expedited issuance this time and plan on applying the day it leaves the factory. By the time it is commissioned perhaps I'll have it.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:30   #8

Boat: Hunter 46

You will need the USCG Document No. prior to getting and MMSI number. However, you should have that on the "traveling" letter from the company that files the application with the USCG. Below is the link to the BoatUS web page where yiu can apply for one if you are a BoatUS member (no cost).

https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSI/ObtainMMSI#!
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:42   #9

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
You will need the USCG Document No. prior to getting and MMSI number. However, you should have that on the "traveling" letter from the company that files the application with the USCG. Below is the link to the BoatUS web page where yiu can apply for one if you are a BoatUS member (no cost).

https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSI/ObtainMMSI#!

Curious why you would pay a company to file the application? I've documented both of my boats -- simple, cheap, fast. Fill in the form, scan it, email it. Done. Oh, and pay the $84 fee. Takes about 20 minutes, total.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:24   #10

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

If you are sailing internationally you MUST get your MMSI from the federal government NOT a non-federal agency such as BoatUS.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:48   #11
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Not true. Go here: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...chAdvanced.jsp, and search for my Call Sign: WDF2783. You'll see I was assigned an MMSI with no vessel data at all. If a documentation number was necessary, state-registered ships could never get an MMSI from the FCC.

It's no big deal. First go here: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do to register yourself. Write down your FRN: "federal registration number" and password. Then go here: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp to create your license. Click on "Apply for a New License" at the top of the list on the left. Fill out the form. Select "SA" (ship) as the "radio service". Leave the "Official Ship #" field blank. Pay through pay.gov. It'll cost $220 for a 10 year license. 22 bucks a year.

You can go back and revise the license once you get your USCG Cert. of Documentation. Or not - it isn't necessary.

Done. Easy peasy. How is that "arduous"?
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 14:14   #12

When did you do yours? This is what I did in 2015 but when I just did it and got the message that you need your documentation (or state registration number).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (111).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	199741
Old 12-09-2019, 14:15   #13

When did you do yours? This is what I did in 2015 but when I just did it and got the message that you need your documentation (or state registration number).

Attachment 199741

Note the answer to the question to the right about whether you need the number before proceeding.
"A: Your ship should either be assigned a number by your state or by the Coast Guard, please use one of these ship numbers on your application"
Old 12-09-2019, 14:44   #14
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post

Attachment 199741

Note the answer to the question to the right about whether you need the number before proceeding.
"A: Your ship should either be assigned a number by your state or by the Coast Guard, please use one of these ship numbers on your application"
Well... you may have a point there. I did my first application in 2009.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 15:37   #15

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Curious why you would pay a company to file the application? I've documented both of my boats -- simple, cheap, fast. Fill in the form, scan it, email it. Done. Oh, and pay the $84 fee. Takes about 20 minutes, total.

I’ve done my own. Back in the day, with a vessel with lapsed documentation, foreign build, missing bills of sale etc. not hard but took eleven separate forms.
Things are simplified today and it’s easier to do and NVDC is still helpful.
But... when I bought Moonbeam I hired a pro. Buying a boat in UK small ships registry that was previously US documented and getting her put back into US documentation required things I had never heard of. Look up “apostille” for example.
I paid and it was worth every penny. Got the documentation very quickly and cleanly including removal from SSR and re-documentation in the US.
Simple and not concerned about liens? Do it yourself. Not hard.
Messy international or possible liens or mortgage? Hire a pro. It’s like insurance.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat