Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2017, 18:35   #211

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
Re: Missing yacht near Barbados..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
The old skipper just went overboard and they were just beginning with more 4 years ahead. He would finish is circumnavigation with 78 years.

Maybe there are 78 years guys that remain fit enough to sail his 44ft alone across Oceans (the wife cannot sail the boat) but as a rule I would say that is not the case for the vast majority.

Off course, you can dream with that, or even take stupid risks to you and the other doing that but I don't think it is reasonable.
I dont see anything stupid ....and god bless to all the old skippers
Old 06-12-2017, 18:45   #212

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I did not sid that it was irresponsible I asked if it was reasonable to do that between 74 and 78 years of age knowing that his wife did not know how to sail.

OK, substitute "unreasonable" for "irresponsible". I come to the same conclusion: it was NOT unreasonable. The apparent fact that he could not get insurance for downhill ski racing, etc, does not dictate unreason in his and her decision. Unwise to not educate her, yep, to not have adequate tethering or to not use it, yep, unwise. But to embark on the journney... IMO well within the bounds of reason.

You may disagree. When you reach his age, if you do, your opinion may change.

Jim
Old 06-12-2017, 21:23   #213

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
OK, substitute "unreasonable" for "irresponsible". I come to the same conclusion: it was NOT unreasonable. The apparent fact that he could not get insurance for downhill ski racing, etc, does not dictate unreason in his and her decision. Unwise to not educate her, yep, to not have adequate tethering or to not use it, yep, unwise. But to embark on the journney... IMO well within the bounds of reason.

You may disagree. When you reach his age, if you do, your opinion may change.

Jim
Bang on Jim.
Half-drunk liveaboards going nowhere are much more liable to fall off the boat than wise old ocean going survivers. Also young newbies are much more likely to have GPS related on-the-rock disasters than wise old dogs who wouldn't go into an unfamiliar anchorage wthout good visibility.
Polux is on another planet as far as cruisers are concerned.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:01   #214

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Bang on Jim.
Half-drunk liveaboards going nowhere are much more liable to fall off the boat than wise old ocean going survivers. Also young newbies are much more likely to have GPS related on-the-rock disasters than wise old dogs who wouldn't go into an unfamiliar anchorage wthout good visibility. ..
Polux is on another planet as far as cruisers are concerned.
Maybe it's not quite like that. Could all be friends if someday caught in an anchorage together and weather bound, find some common ground.We are just human and have no understanding how this planet really works. Polux might be quite fun.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:06   #215

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Maybe it's not quite like that. Could all be friends if someday caught in an anchorage together and weather bound, find some common ground.We are just human and have no understanding how this planet really works. Polux might be quite fun.
Yeah, I think I agree. The boat pics he posts are foreign to me but interesting never-the-less, and, he clearly loves boats.
Thanks Polux Now, what were we fighting about??
Old 07-12-2017, 07:37   #216

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Yeah, I think I agree. The boat pics he posts are foreign to me but interesting never-the-less, and, he clearly loves boats.
Thanks Polux Now, what were we fighting about??
Yes that's right I love a good discussion makes the brain work and different views about a subject are always a good thing that contributes to have wider views on a subject.

For all that thought that I was against the liberty of someone to do anything he wants to do let me say that you got me wrong. I am in favor of euthanasia and that's the biggest liberty anyone can have.

I don't see anything wrong with someone wanted do end their days sailing even if that may create the conditions to shorten his live length for lack of regular or urgent medical care. It's a personal choice that I respect.

And that's were it comes the diference between irresponsible and reasonable. Reasonable is a question of opinion, what is for one is not for others.

Irresponsibility is not since it is related in a social way. Someone can only be irresponsible regarding others since irresponsibility towards himself is a question of personal judgement and then we would fall on what one finds reasonable or not.

On all this subject the only social irresponsibility that someone incurs when sailing to the horizon independently of the odds to be succeeded (old age, bad health, unseaworthy boat or inadequate boat) regards the superior risk of needing a rescue or being object of a research. Off course that problem would disappear if a insurance covering that was made. Unfortunately the risks are so big that no insurance company does that for guys over 65.

This brings us to another related subject, the costs of pleasure sailing rescues and research being sported (in a huge way) by the ones that don't sail and that have not any interest in sailing.

Sea rescue and research makes sense to be paid by the general tax payers when regards to economic professional activities like fishing or transport, it makes no sense at all in what regards pleasure sailing where one is at risk only because he chose to be there not because he had a need too.

Some similitude there with other sport and pleasure activities that involve some risk and where in many countries a mandatory insurance is needed.

Some will say that some of those rescue missions are made by volunteers by that regards only coastal rescues and never very expensive aerial searches or ocean rescues.

Due to the increase of expensive ocean rescues (the coast guard numbers regards all rescues and don't give any information regarding the ones that regards pleasure boats in coastal or ocean conditions) it will be only a question of time till a mandatory rescue and research insurance to be demanded to those that sail offshore.

That of course will not prevent nobody of sailing when and to where they want but will make the sailing offshore community socially responsibly for the costs that incur (in a global way) from the risks inherent to such an activity.

Has we have seen in what regards insurance companies and those insurances the risks are not the same and they increase after a certain age (65) but I am quite sure that if such an insurance was mandatory and a considerable number of sailors needed such an insurance there would be insurance companies that would cover the superior risk adapting the prices to risks, conform diferences in ages in steeps over 65.

Like an old boat, an old sailor would pay more and like old boats, that many consider that are safer, what interests insurance companies is not particular cases but averages and average risk and in a statistical way old boats have more accidents than new ones, like old sailors.

I am an old sailor that still fell young but know that I have not the same agility, stamina and muscular control than I had 15 year ago (not to mention 30) and that know that 15 years from now I would be in a worse physical condition than I am now, even if I don't intend to stop sailing and cruising.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:58   #217

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:

For all that thought that I was against the liberty of someone to do anything he wants to do let me say that you got me wrong. I am in favor of euthanasia and that's the biggest liberty anyone can have.
Need to be very careful as to how you define euthanasia.
Let's see
Definition of euthanasia (Merriam-Webster)

" the act or practice of killing or permitting the death of hopelessly sick or injured individuals (such as persons or domestic animals) in a relatively painless way for reasons of mercy."
May be you are referring to "Right to die"?
With the controversial role of physician assisted suicide?
Otherwise I believe you are looking at Hitler who practiced euthanasia with the believe was purifying the German race.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:16   #218

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post

Need to be very careful as to how you define euthanasia.
Let's see
Definition of euthanasia (Merriam-Webster)

" the act or practice of killing or permitting the death of hopelessly sick or injured individuals (such as persons or domestic animals) in a relatively painless way for reasons of mercy."
May be you are referring to "Right to die"?
With the controversial role of physician assisted suicide?
Otherwise I believe you are looking at Hitler who practiced euthanasia with the believe was purifying the German race.
If I am talking about Euthanasia as " the biggest liberty anyone can have" it is obvious that I am talking about assisted suicide and the liberty for one to chose his time of death, when life become too painful and hopeless.

How can that be interpreted any other way?
Old 07-12-2017, 10:22   #219
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
If I am talking about Euthanasia as " the biggest liberty anyone can have" it is obvious that I am talking about assisted suicide and the liberty for one to chose his time of death, when life become too painful and hopeless.

How can that be interpreted any other way?
sailing off into the sunset seems like a great option to me with respect to checking out. No epirb no rescue no problem.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:35   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post

no
actually my preference will not to be in the same anchorage,here is a guy who has been quite nasty to the tragic situation where a human been lost his life,a wife lost her husband and has been drumming non stop his critical view of this tragedy,almost blaming the victims,now after my posting asking to clear his statement about euthanasia he responds by lashing out.
No,I really do not want to be on the same anchorage.
Good luck
Old 07-12-2017, 13:10   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Doesn't really matter what anyone else said, davil.

You Godwin'd the thread.

You lose.
Old 07-12-2017, 13:19   #222
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing yacht near Barbados..

Also.. its worth remembering that English and American are not the first language of quite a few members so maybe make allowances and check intended meanings before releasing the guillotine..
I believe euthanasia is the killing of the elderly and infirm medically and with consent..
Hitler practiced genocide.. big difference.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 07-12-2017, 13:21   #223
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Also.. its worth remembering that English and American are not the first language of quite a few members so maybe make allowances and check intended meanings before releasing the guillotine..
remember Americans speak English as well ( Americanized English that is)
its like the Portuguese spoken in Brazil )
Old 07-12-2017, 13:25   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
Doesn't really matter what anyone else said, davil.

You Godwin'd the thread.

You lose.

Intrigued by this Godwin thing,thanks,educational!
Generalization, corollaries, Wikipedia
With respect to probability theory, Godwin's law becomes a special case of a Bernoulli trial.

Indeed, there are many corollaries to Godwin's law, some considered more canonical (by being adopted by Godwin himself)[3] than others.[1] For example, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned Adolf Hitler has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress.[7] This principle is itself frequently referred to as Godwin's law.[8]

Godwin's law itself can be abused as a distraction, diversion or even as censorship, fallaciously miscasting an opponent's argument as hyperbole when the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate.[9][10] Similar criticisms of the "law" (or "at least the distorted version which purports to prohibit all comparisons to German crimes") have been made by the American lawyer, journalist, and author Glenn Greenwald.[11]
Old 07-12-2017, 13:27   #225
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing yacht near Barbados..

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
remember Americans speak English as well ( Americanized English that is)
its like the Portuguese spoken in Brazil )
Spanners and Torches.. to name a couple..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Closed Thread

Tags
atlantic crossing, Barbados, family, yacht