Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 03:16   #1

Boat: Dragon
Missing Cat

SAVE & SHARE

EMAILPRINT

The families of Anthony Murray, Reg Robertson and Jaryd Payne believe there is real cause for concern as the yatchsmen last made contact via satellite phone on January 18, they said in a joint statement.

Based on the yacht's co-ordinates at the time -- in international waters around 2190 miles north-northwest of Perth, Australia -- the estimated arrival date was February 2.

"On February 12th, the family of Anthony Murray reported his catamaran as overdue to the Maritime Rescue Co-Ordination Centre (MRCC) in Cape Town."

The same day, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) issued an "all ships broadcast", seeking sightings reports. The broadcast also encompassed the maritime safety areas of Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia and India.

The catamaran Sunsail RC044-978 set out from Cape Town for a delivery trip to Phucket, Thailand, on December 14. The delivery was on US-based world maritime leisure business Tui Marine.

Skipper Murray, 58, has over 25 years experience at sea, including multiple international catamaran and yacht deliveries.

Robertson, 59, is also an experienced yachtsman and a member of the Royal Natal Yacht Club. Payne is 20 years old.

By Sunday, the yacht's Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) had not been activated.

If a signal from the EPIRB is detected then search and rescue will be activated, the extent of which is dependent on the resources available in the area at the time.

"The Australian Maritime Safety Authority has informed the families that it responds to circumstances as they present themselves and that officers in its Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre are not constrained by the setting off of the EPIRB only.

"It has further stated that the urgent broadcast to shipping will remain until March 31st, when it will be re-evaluated," the families said.

They were also concerned as the yacht was in the vicinity of Tropical Cyclone Bansi.

"Although the yacht did move south away from the cyclone, we have no confirmation that the catamaran was not damaged as a result of this."

The yacht was officially carrying enough supplies for 65 days, but has now been at sea for 79 days.

SA Maritime Safety Authority's (SAMSA) MRCC spokesman Jared Blows said the organisation was supporting its Australian counterpart's efforts to locate the yacht.

"The family is in contact with this office and we are giving as much information to them as we have and receive from RCC Australia.

"We have also initiated Navarea Seven urgency broadcast in an effort to make as many ships [as possible] aware of our need to locate the missing yacht," Blows said.

"We are also the local point of contact for RCC Australia and are constantly sourcing additional information to assist in trying to piece together the case."

The families said: "The concern for an overdue boat has now turned into real fear that Anthony Murray, Reg Robertson and Jaryd Payne are in need of rescuing".
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Missing Cat

well if you will deliver during cyclone season...........

2014–15 South-West Indian Ocean cyclone season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:50   #3

I pray for their safe passage.

Can someone please explain how far rim the cyclone they were?

Also if expected in port on February 2nd why did it take 10 days to alert the authority's?

I don't want to add insult to injury by asking the last question as I am sure the normal human reaction is not to even entertain the worst. But it goes to show in my opinion the need for regular contact with a nominated land base and if a scheduled contact us not made than at least an alert to shipping in the vicinity be made.

They had sat phones so if they were OK one would think at least a message from the phone would have been sent. Unless they had lost electrical power to charge the phone.

I hope it's a case of low winds coupled with a power issue and they will sail into a port any time now. Please GD
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:21   #4

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Wonder why they didn't have a tracker system on the boat. With all these rescues and lost boats sure would make it easier to find

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:39   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Sad news indeed. My thoughts go out to their family members, but at this point, hope must be very slim.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:42   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Wonder why they didn't have a tracker system on the boat. With all these rescues and lost boats sure would make it easier to find

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
This sounds totally sucky. Hope they are out there safe somewhere.

No matter what comm gear you have one can always seem to get off the grid.

SPOT technology seems like a great investment. We followed Boatman61s last adventure on an hour by hour basis and knew he had diverted as soon as he did. Passive position reporting seems like it should be a necessity these days.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing Cat

I would not give up my SPOT for deliveries.. the boats are unknown quantities.. stock boats, old and new and nowhere near set up for whats out there most times.. and its a big lonely place out there.
Its amazing how much stress lifts when you know someone knowledgable is following your progress and whose response's you trust should one ever need to hit the button.. apart from the SAR alert..
EPIRB... its okay but.. it needs triggering before it gives your position.. it does not provide info right up to the last position you broadcast from.. 2 packs spare 4A's and it'll transmit till you die..
Solo.. own boat.. would likely still use it now.. unless I decided to go Viking..
Hope they are found soon...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:09   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

spot or not,they were passing through a known hurricane alley,at the worst time of year for tropical and extra tropical cyclones on that route,had not bansi got them ,cat 5 cyclone eunise that came through 10days later at 225km/h would have.

not sure what the skipper was thinking when he left cape town bound for Phuket using the southern route during the height of the cyclone season,with no other option than to pass through a high risk area at the hight of cyclone season.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:14   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
not sure what the skipper was thinking when he left cape town bound for Phuket using the southern route during the height of the cyclone season,with no other option than to pass through a high risk area at the hight of cyclone season.
"I need the boat in Phuket in March. No one else will take the job. You want the job or not?"

Commercial work is often calendar driven often inversely related to safety.

People get all pissed when a plane diverts and they send nasty email to the airline swearing never to fly them again. I always wanted to hear this announcement.

"Ladies and gentleman, this is your captain speaking. Well, La Guardia has zero visibility on the ground, the runway is completely iced up and there are 60 knot winds. I know it's important for you to get to your destination and I am willing to try if you are. There is a 50% chance we will crash and die if we try this but I'm game. If you think you wanna try this please hit your call button now and we'll vote on it. Otherwise we'll divert to Boston as usual and you can catch a train to NYC."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:29   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
"I need the boat in Phuket in March. No one else will take the job. You want the job or not?"

Commercial work is often calendar driven often inversely related to safety.

People get all pissed when a plane diverts and they send nasty email to the airline swearing never to fly them again. I always wanted to hear this announcement.

"Ladies and gentleman, this is your captain speaking. Well, La Guardia has zero visibility on the ground, the runway is completely iced up and there are 60 knot winds. I know it's important for you to get to your destination and I am willing to try if you are. There is a 50% chance we will crash and die if we try this but I'm game. If you think you wanna try this please hit your call button now and we'll vote on it. Otherwise we'll divert to Boston as usual and you can catch a train to NYC."
the safer route is going north of madagasgar in april,the catamaran would have arrived in Phuket at the end of the charter season anyway,with minimal risk of loss of life,and damage to the vessel
Old 03-03-2015, 05:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would not give up my SPOT for deliveries.. the boats are unknown quantities.. stock boats, old and new and nowhere near set up for whats out there most times.. and its a big lonely place out there.
Its amazing how much stress lifts when you know someone knowledgable is following your progress and whose response's you trust should one ever need to hit the button.. apart from the SAR alert..
EPIRB... its okay but.. it needs triggering before it gives your position.. it does not provide info right up to the last position you broadcast from.. 2 packs spare 4A's and it'll transmit till you die..
Solo.. own boat.. would likely still use it now.. unless I decided to go Viking..
Hope they are found soon...
We use a SPOT, too. The device and service costs so little, it's hard to understand why anyone who has anybody who might be concerned about them, doesn't use it.

I can see it being a real plus for a delivery captain, to be able to tell the owner, "Just give your e-mail and you will always know about where your boat and I are at".
Old 03-03-2015, 06:05   #12

Boat: Oyster 53

The information given is not very clear either, as is usually the case when written by someone who is not familiar with boats.

"Based on the yacht's co-ordinates at the time -- in international waters around 2190 miles north-northwest of Perth, Australia -- the estimated arrival date was February 2."

If they were 2,190 NNW of Perth and the estimated arrival date was Feb.2, they certainly were not going to Phuket. That position loosely puts them on the outside of Sumatra by the Mentawai Islands.

Dhillen
Old 03-03-2015, 06:07   #13
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I'm with Ex-Calif on this one - professional delivery skippers who want to stay in business are often at the mercy of the boat's owner with respect to the timing and route for a delivery. The fact that they agreed to the delivery, no doubt knowing the risks, is hardly a reason to feel anything but sympathy for their plight.

We, of course, have no way of knowing what happened to the boat. We are assuming that it was overcome by a tropical storm/cyclone. However, the fact that they did not use their sat phone (and that the EPIRB did not deploy) is also consistent with them having experienced an unanticipated calamity which left no time for a response - striking a shipping container in such a way that the boat suffered catastrophic damage, sinking almost immediately. Or for that matter, being struck by shipping and suffering the same fate.

My point is that since we do not and cannot know what happened to them, it is inappropriate to criticize their actions.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:17   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

being between the tracks of 2 category 5 "super"cyclones with sustained winds of over 150 knot,and trying to run south,according to the last phone call, leaves little to the imagination
Old 03-03-2015, 06:34   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing Cat

Given the fact that none of the 'Assets' have been activated to indicate a disaster there's one of two options..
1/ They were either overcome to quickly in a cyclone or run down.. to have time to activate anything.
2/ The skipper is a stubborn bastard with a good crew and they've maybe been dismasted and under jury rig.. lost all power and no way to recharge.. (this is a bastard especially if tanks are full)
Get as close as you can to lanes or land while you can..
Old school thinking is if death is not imminent and progress tho slow is favourable truck on.. lose the boat.. lose your living.
Folk only remember the last trip.. everything before rarely counts..
Its taken me 41 days from Horta, Azores to Poole, Uk in the past with a disabled boat and light summer variables.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote