Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-10-2012, 22:21   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Minimalist sailing . . . the boat

You know if I got rid of the engine, I could stock more shoes on board. So how many pairs of 6" stiletto heel shoes in Red can I get and still be a minimalist...

Actually 3" was plenty high enough for me. Still looking for the flip flops with 3" stiletto's. ;-) 6" and I would be falling over on my face. Hard to find at local marine store too.

Well I hit land today and there are seven other sailboats here on the guest dock, all are 22' ish and sailed by single guy. I feel like a mother dock with ducklings.. My 34' on the other hand is minimalist for a female.

Really there is just not enough space on a 22' boat for shoes, let alone makeup, luffa, blowdryer's, hair products, hair brushes, well you get the idea.

So a guy is a minimalist with a 22' boat and a change of underwear and a 12 pack O beer. Girls, even relativity low maintenance sailor girls need a large boat.

Old 27-10-2012, 05:35   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Junk rig! (...) Junkies don't need enhancements to keep their sticks up.... (...)
I agree on simplicity of junk rig but while any well designed-to-be-junk-rigged boat will probably fare well, many of the converts (many of who later convert-back to their original faith) do develop issues.

I know four junk rigged boats and none of the owners(*) was 100% happy with their rig - one sold the boat (and man she WAS a junk beauty), one converted back to stayed rig, one is sailing and very grumpy and one, so I think, is sailing and quite happy - it is the lady from RSA who sailed to the Carib, then crossed to Europe then went again to South America and now I believe she is somewhere between Brazil and Cuba. She seemed to do best with her rig (and her PVC coated sails). (*)But her cat - probably HATED the boat ;-) - you could find him (or her) everywhere but the boat ;-)))

So I say junk rig is simplicity but one may do best to look for a boat that was designed and built to be junk rigged rather than take any other hull and try to convert (for sake of minimalism).

b.

Old 27-10-2012, 06:56   #48

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
You know if I got rid of the engine, I could stock more shoes on board. So how many pairs of 6" stiletto heel shoes in Red can I get and still be a minimalist...
One or it wouldn't be minimum. But if you vary color and heel size and only get one of each ......
Old 27-10-2012, 07:38   #49

Boat: Cal 2-27

The cat ketch is a simple unstated well balanced rig
Old 27-10-2012, 08:26   #50

Boat: csy 37

once upon a time, cruisers sailed the bahamas in small boats. i kept mine in key largo, where a lot of them passed through, coming or going.

there was a couple on a cal 24 who got as far south as crooked island. there was another couple on a westerly nomad (22 feet!). another couple - schoolteachers - who cruised on a mcgregor 25 during summer break.

another couple on a bristol 27, who told me this story. they had been anchored in hope town harbor near the end of their six month stay (that was the length of a cruising permit) and had run low on food. but they were anchored over a sunken boat. each morning he would dive down and get a lobster for lunch. in the afternoon he would dive and get another lobster for dinner. he said 'it's hard to believe, but you can get pretty sick of lobster'. i told him i'd like to find that out for myself.

another couple lived on an albin vega (27'). we met them in the berry islands. they lived very minimally - coleman camp stove, no refrigeration, outboard power. lots of beans and rice and fish/lobster/conch. all they asked is that when we got back to the mainland we call her mother to let her know she was ok.

back then the biggest boat you would see was the morgan out island 41. nowadays the 41 is average sized.....
Old 27-10-2012, 10:08   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I be a freedom 25 would be a fast simple pocket cruiser. Unstayed mast. FREEDOM 25 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 10:21   #52

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

Please do .
I agree more yammering of that variety would be great!

I have an alberg 30. Smaller inside than newer boats of the same loa, but simple and tough. Wouldn't mind a shower aboard though, and the berths are just slightly too short for me.

For me minimalist means encapsulated keel, manual systems or manual backups and a simple traditional layout, makes parts and materials cheaper.
Liveable for me means adding:
standing headroom, and a berth longer than I am.

I like Brent Swains point on sails, that having acommon size for finding used sails is cheaper though I do think junk rigs interesting.

I think Loa a poor way to determine minimalist. I think the systems in a boat determine that more so at least to a large degree. Many boats of the same loa have a huge difference in interior space, durability and complexity. Many 27s have more room than my 30.

I have watched enough external keels getting fiddled with in the yard to be cautious of them. Not that I think they are bad, just that they come with additional cost to maintain.

In regards to systems in boats simplifying is an interesting process. For me one step was to run
Old 27-10-2012, 11:40   #53

Boat: OEM, proportional

I had a lengthy and detailed reply all typed out, one finger professional-style. The computer ate it. I have no dog, so the computer gets the blame. Naughty comp, do that again and it's hammertime...

Junk rig isn't for everyone, or for every boat. If you look at where it came from (flat bottomed commercial boats with daggerboards and lifting rudders, sailcloth basically a consumable rather than an expensive "durable" item), and stick to what it's good at, you can get in the cruising game and stay in it for a lot less moulah than the majority opinion.

The yotting merchants don't like it because it's redneck tech and doesn't guarantee a constant and considerable cash-flow....the racers and image-dependent types won't like it because they won't win races, and the all-important audience will bruise fragile egos that value the esteem of stangers over reality and practicality: "eeeww, junk rig, you must be dirt poor or weird, or both". Answer: no, not dirt poor, just don't see why I should move myself closer to it by shelling out fortunes for minimal benefits in what I want to do with my floating home; and as for being weird, it is a priviledge and an honour to be considered weird and alien in this sick and twisted world.

With the junk rig you won't be much good at shaving the last 0,237 of a degree closer to the wind, but then again you also won't be doing regular sail-changes (especially when you least want to), you don't need to muck about with spinnakers for decent reaching and running, reefing is easy and fast, gybing won't inspire dread fear of death and destruction, the rigger and chandler's phone numbers aren't on your speed dial, you can handle a large area of canvas with minimal effort from minimal crew, and with great maneuverability and docility. Why am I "selling" the junk rig? Easy: I deed-poll changed my name to Junk Rig, and get a royalty payment every time it is mentioned. You now owe me $56.78 (euros, that is.....). Please re-read the thread, I have expenses looming.
Old 27-10-2012, 15:54   #54

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

I've thought about going with a junk rig, but I don't know if I would be able to justify the expense of changing over.

I won't say no though.

Going by the mock-up drawing that I put together, I think it would look good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	westerly nomad drawing.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	48857   Click image for larger version

Name:	westerly nomad junk rig.jpg
Views:	1336
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	48858  

Old 27-10-2012, 18:03   #55

Boat: Cal 29

I have the relevant books for sale: Hasler, Taylor, Van Loan.

All 3 $25 PLUS SHIPPING.
Old 27-10-2012, 18:11   #56

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I have the relevant books for sale: Hasler, Taylor, Van Loan.

All 3 $25 PLUS SHIPPING.
PM sent.
Old 27-10-2012, 20:36   #57

Boat: Cal 29

Books sold. Thanks.
Old 27-10-2012, 23:53   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
If you have a 68HP engine you can easily fit the same or slightly more whorespower stilettos (red) but that's usually a mistake you'll regret the next day. Of course you must also know that after 68 that one extra whorepower is super expensive, sure you might be able to contort & squeeze it in the engine compartment but the stress on all of the other structural members, health and the finances is usually just too intense, so probably not worth it unless you're really hard-up and desperate for the immediate performance.

Like everything; it's much better to put in the time and effort to D.I.Y. on the cheap than to pay a professional for outfitting anywhere, but especially on a boat. And you also have to be mindful that while many workers will have the requisite skills, it's often difficult to get a factory trained technician with OEM equipment, especially in the Bay Area where you live.
Old 28-10-2012, 10:44   #59

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
If you have a 68HP engine you can easily fit the same or slightly more whorespower stilettos (red) but that's usually a mistake you'll regret the next day.
Almost had to pick myself up off the floor.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 10:52   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

ROFL. Gee I already regret it!!! I'll never think of horsepower the same way ever again.....

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: