Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-10-2012, 18:50   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Minimalist sailing . . . the boat

Well for a Blonde Chick, my boat is minimalist. I mean I only have five pairs of shoes (flip flops, kayak shoes, fowl weather boot, tennis shoes and one scruffy pair of dress shoes.) thats pretty bare bones to me, LOL

No pressure water, Shower is a solar shower or water heated on the stove. Stove is original 40 year old and still works. Two depth sounders (original heathkit and a raymarine... Heathkit works better BTW) a couple of GPS's and smartphones), windex, and vhf radio too. Have a sextant and calculator with reduction software) No radar, no speed log, No wind speed, No windlass

I do have more then one bucket so maybe I am more then a minimalist .

An oar not going to get this chick that far. Why I have an engine. I also sail on and off anchor when I can and have sailed out of slips.

Maybe there are two minimalist catagories, one for men and one for women. No beer on my boat so that's puts me back at minimalist again....

Old 25-10-2012, 18:57   #32
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Well for a Blonde Chick, my boat is minimalist. I mean I only have five pairs of shoes (flip flops, kayak shoes, fowl weather boot, tennis shoes and one scruffy pair of dress shoes.) thats pretty bare bones to me, LOL

No pressure water, Shower is a solar shower or water heated on the stove. Stove is original 40 year old and still works. Two depth sounders (original heathkit and a raymarine... Heathkit works better BTW) a couple of GPS's and smartphones), windex, and vhf radio too. Have a sextant and calculator with reduction software) No radar, no speed log, No wind speed, No windlass

I do have more then one bucket so maybe I am more then a minimalist .

An oar not going to get this chick that far. Why I have an engine. I also sail on and off anchor when I can and have sailed out of slips.

Maybe there are two minimalist catagories, one for men and one for women. No beer on my boat so that's puts me back at minimalist again....
\

I swear I think clothes are sexual and reproduce when stored in dark places! Gotta make another trip to Goodwill. I KNOW I didn't have that much when I moved aboard. I have "extra" clothes -- nice slacks, performance clothes (I sing in a show chorus), etc. in a small storage unit along with some other things. I try to keep the things on the boat down to what I need.

Old 25-10-2012, 19:05   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

They do seem to reproduce, I tend to take some to goodwill though it seems I go there to buy clothes now and then too.. Though the ratty things tend to get converted to rags for cleaning, varnishing, etc. Everything I own is pretty much on the boat. Tossed a fair number of shoes out a while ago too, was lowering the water line ;-)
Old 25-10-2012, 20:53   #34

Boat: Crewing on a Nauticat 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesmysnowman View Post
Check out a video on Vimeo,com called Stand Fast. It is a fun documentary on minimalist sailing.
I guess you're thinking about Hold Fast: Hold Fast on Vimeo
Old 25-10-2012, 21:57   #35

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

To me minimalist implies significantly less expensive and smaller than normal and durable.

In the North American market I would look at these boats as potential offshore boats:
CAL 20
BAYFIELD 23
ISLANDER BAHAMA 24
COLUMBIA 24 CHALLENGER
BAYFIELD 25
CAL 25
COLUMBIA 26 MK II
CENTAUR 26 (WESTERLY)
RANGER 26 (MULL)
HAIDA 26
TARTAN 27
Albin Vega 27
CAL 28
TRITON (PEARSON)
TRITON (AEROMARINE)
CASCADE 29

I looked to these with an eye towards number built, ease of upgrades (ie. minimal liner), interior volume for size, not unreasonably low displacement, and likely price.

For anchoring I would have a chain-stopper but no windlass. The primary anchor would be double oversized on 100-150' of chain. There would be several secondary anchors of various types with
I would add water tankage with Plastimo bladders or I would built in tanks. I would use foot pumps for delivery.
I would add running backs and a removable forestay for a staysail.
I would build a nesting dinghy if there was enough space to fit it on the cabin top else I would use an inflatable.
If the boat came with a working inboard, diesel or gas, fine. If not it would get an outboard. In either case there would be a motor bracket for a small electric trolling motor and a giant oar.
I would get a drifter for light winds. And a nylon mainsail too if I felt I had enough money.
Regular main would get a 3rd reef point.
I would have 200 to 400a-h battery capacity and solar panels on tracking mounts.
I would home-brew a wind-vane.
Lights would be LED and fluorescent.
VHF would the Horizon model with built-in AIS. 2 handheld GPS's, Davis's $60 sextant & Kolbe's long term almanac.
Propane stove, no oven, no ice box.

I could yammer on ad nauseum but I won't just now.
Old 25-10-2012, 23:42   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Cross off the Columbia 26 Mk II, they have serious control problems and didn't stand up to the steep waves and strong winds in the channels between the Hawaiian Islands for me. The Columbia 26 MkI and Columbia 29 would be good additions to the list as well any of the older smallish Bristols, Cape Dorys, Newports, and Yankees.
Old 26-10-2012, 00:05   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:

5 pairs of shoes and no beer - Please look up seaworthy in the mariners dictionary!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 03:10   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I could yammer on ad nauseum but I won't just now.
Please do .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 03:11   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Dang - I always imagined that you wore bright red 6 inch heels........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 03:21   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

For a really minimalist boat, I doubt any of you can beat this:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Around the World Nonstop in a 10-Foot Boat

10 feet! Jesus, sailor chic - you'd have to dump all the shoes except the flip-flops!

But I'm with David - I thought you wore 6 inch spikes too.
Old 26-10-2012, 05:05   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I think the engine-less and the minimalist go well together but it will only work perhaps when one is engineless from the start. One takes off without an engine and then builds their sailing techniques accordingly.

Last time we were rendered (nearly only) engineless by a leak from the transmission. Now that was hell - we got too close to the land, there was no wind and we had to stop the engine in between the cargo traffic.

So I think engineless is good for minimalist but then I would want something that SAILS very VERY well (a converted racing boat perhaps).

b.
Old 26-10-2012, 18:20   #42

Boat: OEM, proportional

Junk rig! (or if you dislike the term "junk", call it a fully battened balanced lug of oriental origin).

Unstayed mast, so no standing rigging to replace, and the boat isn't permanently trying to shoot its mast through the keel like a giant bow & arrow. Junkies don't need enhancements to keep their sticks up....

Low-stress on the cloth, and even then a rip in the sail isn't such a disaster.

Easy to handle from one position with minimal gear, very versatile for maneuvering, can handle wide range of conditions.

Disadvantages (perhaps)....not trendy, won't win the triangular lemming dance due to moderate upwind performance, bad for yotting businesses as it is cheap and durable.
Old 26-10-2012, 18:36   #43

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Junk rig! (or if you dislike the term "junk", call it a fully battened balanced lug of oriental origin).
FBBLoOO?

Junks would be nice from a certain perspective but for most boats would involve re-engineering the step and deck in order to support the changed loading of the mast. Not impossible, nor even particularly odious, but not exactly a cakewalk either.
Old 26-10-2012, 18:41   #44

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post

Unstayed mast, so no standing rigging to replace, and the boat isn't permanently trying to shoot its mast through the keel like a giant bow & arrow. Junkies don't need enhancements to keep their sticks up....

Low-stress on the cloth, and even then a rip in the sail isn't such a disaster.

Easy to handle from one position with minimal gear, very versatile for maneuvering, can handle wide range of conditions.

Disadvantages (perhaps)....not trendy, won't win the triangular lemming dance due to moderate upwind performance, bad for yotting businesses as it is cheap and durable.
What about weight aloft? I always thought a junk rig was heavy.

Excellent for reefing, but what about control lines and usage?

The sail is ahead of the mast like a duchow rig. On one tack, the rig will be against the mast and chaffing. On the other it will be tensioning the mast. What are the results of this?

What about converting a vessel made in a sloop configuration? Do you just get rid of the jib and move the mast forward to compensate or is it ok to fly the jib with the junk?

The reason I ask is that the junk rig doesn't have standing rigging. The jib would put extreme stress on the mast without a backstay or shrouds and, if I'm not mistaken, a junk mast is shorter (like a gaff rig) which would mean a smaller jib.

Does a junk rig use the Bernoulli principle like a sloop or is it a "catch whatever wind we can" kind of idea?

Not ditzing the idea. Serious inquiry.
Old 26-10-2012, 18:57   #45

Each person's "minimalist" is different, based on their own preferences and budget. I have some people say they would never cruise on a boat without standing headroom, while others say they won't go anywhere without refrigeration. Some can't live without pressure water and a shower. I have cruised pretty extensively without those things, and I have spent quite a bit of time with no engine. So, you have to define your own minimum you are willing to live with and still have loads of fun. A lot of us could travel on a minimal boat a long ways, while being miserable doing so. I always think of Shackelton's trip to Elephant Island--minimalist, but not something most of us would want to do.

My personal minimalist cruising sailboat means keeping costs to a minimum, but still being able to sail almost anywhere in reasonable comfort and without danger, and I could live aboard comfortably indefinitely. It would probably be a 30-foot or so fiberglass production sailboat built in sufficient numbers so that lots of used sails (one of the biggest expenses) are available, or at least with a sailplan that is so close to ordinary that obtaining used sails that require minimum modification is easy. It would have standing headroom somewhere, probably near the galley, but it isn't required in the whole boat. I would like to have an enclosed head, but it doesn't need pressure water or a shower. It would have a small inboard diesel, or maybe an outboard on a transom bracket, because I like to do inland waterways and canals. It would sail very well, even in light air, and preferably would have a tiller. It would have very few, simple systems. No integrated electronics. I just need a compass, a GPS that gives lat/long, and a good fishfinder/depthsounder. I'd like a built-in VHF, but could live with a handheld radio. It would have some solar panels to charge the batteries. I could live with an icebox, but would probably get a small, portable 12-volt fridge. Absolute maximum draft would be 6 feet, but I would prefer about 4, and absolute max. mast height would be 60 feet, but I would prefer say 40 or so.

Yes, you can get a shorter boat and save some money on the boat, but the overall cost of cruising goes up if you don't enjoy living onboard, cooking onboard, and if you can't carry sufficient supplies and other stuff to keep you safe, comfortable, and occupied. With too small a boat I don't see most people sticking it out for long, and I find that if you get a decent sailing 30 or so footer you tend to keep up with most of the other cruising sailboats, which keeps you happier too.

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: