Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 05:04   #16

Re: Mini Adventure Advice Please

In addition to the suggestions raise already, I might add a couple more.

- Have a plan to check in with your "ground crew" once an hour or something like that to give progress reports. That way they will know you are OK, and know where you are (approximately) should you fail to check in.

- In advance select a bunch of bailout points along your route. That way if you need to bail, you will already have figured out your options.

- Last, and I think most important, is to evaluate the approach/entrance to the various stopping points, including York. There can be a lot of tidal+river current which I expect limits when you can enter and leave many of the safe harbors, and I expect there are a number that you will not be able to enter at all. This will limit where you can "pull up" for the night. Also keep in mind that a significant portion of the coast you are talking about is inaccessible from the water. Even with the most modest of wave action, you can't just go ashore. Even if you get ashore without getting the crap kicked out of you, there is no way to secure a boat for even a brief time without it getting wrecked. The only place you could possibly get ashore is where there is beach, and even that can be quire difficult with the wave action. And keep in mind, that if you are going ashore it's probably because the wind/seas have kicked up, so the landing will be under hard conditions, not placid ones.

Thinking about some of the ports along the way.....

- Merrimack River: Forgettaboutit. Even if you can get past the current, the standing waves will get you. With any kind of wind, the Coast Guard requires that you check in with them before crossing the entrance bar so they can monitor your crossing and make sure you make it. That should be all the clue you need.

- Hampton and Rye I'm not familiar with enough to know, but I'd check the current charts to see if you can realistically get in.

- Portsmouth is likely another forgettabouit. Wicked current there, though there might be a place or two in the outer harbor. You could call the Portsmouth Yacht club as ask them where they think you could get in with an R19.

- Ogonquit and York. I've never been into either, but I think both are rivers and there is a lot of tide all along the coast, so there will be current.

The more I write this, the more I think you will have little to no coastal refuge on this trip, and probably need to plan on doing it in a single, long day. But calm weather means little wind which means slow going.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:44   #17

Thumbs up Re: Mini Adventure Advice Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
"Found the cut!" My 5yr old exclaimed as we sailed to Deveaux Bank just outside the North Edisto Inlet, South Carolina. We spent an overnight on the Bank, sailed to in the Rhodes 19 little sister the Uffa Fox designed DS1.
John Picts - YouTube
Thank you for sharing the video of your family sailing John. Would that more parents would put aside the video games and give their children an opportunity to experience the joys of a life's adventure lived.
Thank you again,
Kent
justwannadoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:54   #18

Re: Mini Adventure Advice Please

Hello all:
I would not dream of taking my wife on this trip if it materializes. I have told her that my attitude is and always will be that she will be invited and welcomed on all (or at least most) my adventures, but there is no shame in saying no. I ask only 2 things of her; that she wait for me to return and she doesn't try to torpedo my dreams. My son on the other hand, though he doesn't seem to be a self motivated adventurer, oftentimes gets hooked by his willingness to try new things. I am hoping he will want to accompany me. My fingers are crossed. Everyone(especially the parents of young children) should watch John's video of his 5 year old son at the helm that he referenced earlier in this thread. How capable our youth can be if given the opportunity. Thanks again for all the advice.
Kent
justwannadoit is offline   Reply With Quote