Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 12:28   #31

Re: mice on board help !

[QUOTE=xxhat;2818624]Have mouse or mice on aboard.

Need advice.

Use Rat poison . The green waxy cubes . They die and you don't even smell them ! They mummify and dry out. If you find it , toss it i the garbage. My cat just plays with the live ones. Mice can lick the peanut butter clean off the trap without setting it off ! I like the wind-up box you put against the wall they take the short cut through the tunnel in the box and it flips them into the locked part. They start calling their friends and pop,pop,pop the whole family ends locked up ready for a good drowning. Mice can piss on the tops of your can goods and give you a fatal illness. They constantly dribble there urine all over everything in the boat . Wash all can tops with bleach and toss anything (food) that they chewed a hole in.
Get on it now !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:37   #32

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

There are lots of youtube vids of bucket traps, and even a few using tasers and the sticky traps. All are kind of interesting to watch. I feel bad for the ones caught in the sticky traps, they look so sad.
Here is one to get you started.

BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:50   #33
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
They can chew thru hoses as well.

All the above plus: use multiple types of traps such baited and glue. As said, no poison.
But the quickest/best/most efficient (if you can) is de CAT!

I wish that was true.

Our cat has keyed door that allows him to come and go. He brings us live, uninjured chipmunks, mice, and birds. He brought a mouse to my wife, in bed, in the night, a few weeks ago. It was loud.

He just sees them as toys to gently play with. He doesn't believe in claws or teeth.
Old 05-02-2019, 13:03   #34

Boat: Looking...

No such thing as a boat mouse. Immature rat. Get it NOW!
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 13:12   #35

Talking Re: mice on board help !

https://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-Ul.../dp/B00CM859OA been using this for years. 4D batterys last a year (unless you are killing legions of the pests) Flashes red when triggered. Can be left on. No mess , No blood. Not pet Friendly!
Scubableu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 13:23   #36

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
just use the traps and dump the bodies overboard, or leave in the trap a few days as a warning to the rest :-)
Where this is hilarious, and likely a joke, and I often say "TELL YOUR FRIENDS" after I smash a bug, it's actually bad advice and want to make sure humorless people don't take it seriously.

Mice and rats will eat dead mice and rats. If you leave a dead mouse or rat on your boat it will smell like rotting flesh and feed other living mice and rats and bugs.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 13:42   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Modern poison doesn't just kill rats and mice. It makes them bleed internally. That makes them thirsty. The head for water and their bodies are usually found just outside or near a water puddle. They don't die inside a wall like the old poisons. Rarely they might be found in a wet bilge, but my experience on boats is finding them on deck. In buildings, usually just outside the foundation.
I used to raise cattle and horses. Always lots of grain in feeders. I been using products like Decon for about 40 years.
If you have an ongoing problem, there's a non-poison product from NZ that attracts rats & mice and hit's their head, instantly killing them.
About $200 on Amazon or ebay.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 13:43   #38

Boat: Colegate 26

Disclaimer: All my experience is dealing with multiple rats in my house attic in Austin, TX. I paid someone a lot of money to unsuccessfully secure my attic from intrusion and trap what couldn't get out. I later did it myself and was highly successful.

If you haven't actually SEEN the bastards, you can identify the critter by its poops. Rats, mice, and roaches leave unique evidence.

Pest Identification by Their Droppings - The Attic Pest Authority

More than likely it's a rat, but it might be mice.
  • Put all your food into sealed containers such as plastic bins
  • Minimize fresh water availability (difficult, I realize ...)
  • Clean up all poops so you can see if new poops are showing up
  • Buy Victor brand snap traps
  • Accessorize with nails to prevent the #*%*er from escaping. I have video of them wriggling out of traps in my attic - that's when I started adding TEETH to my traps
  • Tether to something to keep them from dragging them self and the trap into unreachable spaces
  • Use peanut butter as bait and only enough to get them to the trap and trigger the switch - you're not trying to feed the beast
  • Place where you've seen evidence of pest activity
  • If you're onboard when it snaps you will know it - even in a large boat. But if you're not, check the traps regularly.
I've mostly experienced them active around 9pm to 11pm and 2am to 4am, but your mileage may vary.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL WITH THE TRAPS. Even without my modifications they will &@#^ you up if it snaps on your finger. I've snapped wooden pencils with them. They are designed to literally cut a rat in half - with spine/leg bones as thick as your finger bones. If you put nails into it like I do you better be on your A-Game setting them up.

There's lots of talk on the internet about baiting traps and placing them unset to get the critters familiar with the traps before setting them for kill. I'm not sure I agree with that because then you're just feeding them for a few days while they piss and crap all over your boat. Likely there's just one or two initially and if you kill them on night 1 then you're done. If they feel like there's food there they might multiply faster than you can imagine and then you have an ongoing problem.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 13:53   #39

I will trap as many as I can. Search and DestroyYou can literally sniff out their nest but be ready to kill when they jump out. Then poison the survivors. Keep at it you can eliminate the vermin. Also find out how the get on the boat just think like a mouse
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 13:59   #40

Boat: Nauticat 32

I'd like to add to what has already been said by others that you should carefully remove all the food that is currently available to them. Not to make them leave because of lack of food, but to make them more interested in the food that you will serve them in the traps.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 14:52   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The glue traps are cool. Some of them are big too.
Before we moved back into our house after the renter trashed it, we had a mouse infestation to deal with and called a Pro exterminator who put out glue traps and poison.
Well the one in the laundry room he wanted to keep to show his friends cause he knew no one would believe it. It had a dead mouse, but also had a dead snake, that could almost but not quite reach the mouse.
Poor mouse got to live no telling how long with a snake just an inch away struggling to eat the mouse.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 16:26   #42

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhat View Post
Have mouse or mice on aboard.

Need advice. Shall I

1. Use mouse trap ? Worried the bait may attract more mice.

2. Remove ALL food and hope mice leave ?

Would mice if there is no food eat hose ? electrical wiring ?

Thanks

jim
Traps, but also secure them. If the mouse/mice is just caught, the trap can be dragged to somewhere you can't get to. Happened to us in the garden - never found the trap again.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 16:47   #43

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Its a known fact that rats ( and mice ) will leave a sinking ship.

Sink your boat and the mice will be gone in a flash.

Amazing how simple some solutions can be.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 18:10   #44

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

The house I was renting when I was living in the Philippines had so many mice living in the attic I got burned out getting up every hour to reset the traps. I Shanghaied the neighbors cat to help. After a few days the poor cat got burned out from a never ending diet of mouse meat and went on strike. I had mice literally falling down from the attic into a cardboard box and a 5 gallon bucket full of water for flushing the toilet. Mice were every where.
The house we have now had a rather large palm rat get in when the door was left open,and was terrorizing the wife. I tried a rat sized snap trap baited with p-nut butter. The rat was so good he could eat the bait and not set off the trap. I finally went to Harbor Freight and bought a live animal trap with the spring loaded door. Baited with ripe mango before bed. Next morning I had a very pissed off rat in the trap. Took him out to the road an set him free under the condition he never return. So far so good.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 21:19   #45

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I had this problem a few years back. Local exterminator advised spring traps with slim jim as bait. Worked in a few days. Key is to act early before they get comfortable; breed, tear up stuff for nesting material, etc.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote