Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2016, 11:36   #1

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernadez killed in boating accident

Fernadez along with two others were killed when their CC fishing boat hit a jetty. It was reported that the boat was traveling at a high speed when it impacted the jetty.

I can not, for some reason copy and paste a link.

At night it is difficult to see and to judge distances, at least for me. Be careful out there.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 03:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernadez killed in boating accident

Sad ➥ Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez dies in boating accident

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:12   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Very sad. Still, if you cannot judge the distance, you go slow.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:22   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Not much good happens at 3 AM. Your not at your best then, your at the bottom of your Circadian cycle.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:24   #5

Agree, you go slow and cautious. Unless you think you know what you are doing or think you know where you are headed.

Humans are known to make lots of mistakes. From the picture they hit near to tip of the jetty. A few degrees different on their approch and they would have been ok.

Old 26-09-2016, 06:40   #6

My wife and I are both baseball fans in general, and Marlins fans in particular. We were in shock Sunday, on hearing the news. Fernandez was not just an amazingly good pitcher, but by all appearances he was also an amazingly good person. Full of life, always smiling, always upbeat. His death is a tragic loss.

As to what happened, the operator was, supposedly, an experienced boater who had been in and out of Government Cut--at night--many times. In fact, it has been reported that he was well known among the Marlins players, and had taken many of them out on night fishing expeditions when they weren't scheduled to play the next day (as was the case with Fernandez).

The entrance to Government Cut is lighted, according to the charts (I have never been through there, myself). In fact, there are numerous lights. Makes me wonder if he mistook what he was seeing. That is, thought he was further from shore, going between a couple of the outer lights, rather than heading right at the jetty. Obviously a tragic miscalculation, or lack of attention.

I guess the lesson is that, even when you are sure you know an area well, especially at night, it is best to go slowly and be certain of where you are.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The entrance to Government Cut is lighted, according to the charts (I have never been through there, myself). In fact, there are numerous lights. Makes me wonder if he mistook what he was seeing. That is, thought he was further from shore, going between a couple of the outer lights, rather than heading right at the jetty. Obviously a tragic miscalculation, or lack of attention.

I guess the lesson is that, even when you are sure you know an area well, especially at night, it is best to go slowly and be certain of where you are.
I've been in and out of Government Cut dozens of times and it is very well marked and lit. However, especially approaching from the side it could be easy to miss the end of the jetties. Also lots of lights on shore to add confusion. Not a place to be running at high speed at night, even if you know the area. Lots of other boats around including small outboard fishing boats that sometimes hang around the edges of the channel and a few large, unlit buoys here and there.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 09:51   #8

I read the captain kinda specialized in night fishing. Night fishing is very common on fresh water lakes. Full moon and lily pads great for bass fishing.

I was not thinking I would ever be fishing on the ocean at night. How common is it?

My night boating has always been on in-land lakes. Every time it has been much more challenging than I anticipated.
Running at 30 mph seems like 60mph.

What electronics would show your position and obstacles and do CC boats usually carry this type of electronics?

Old 26-09-2016, 10:04   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I was not thinking I would ever be fishing on the ocean at night. How common is it?
Along Pt Loma this time of year, you could practically walk from Mission Bay to the San Diego Bay entrance buoy offshore all night the fishing boats are so thick. They're lit up out there all night just outside the kelp beds.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:13   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
I read the captain kinda specialized in night fishing. Night fishing is very common on fresh water lakes. Full moon and lily pads great for bass fishing.

My night boating has always been on in-land lakes. Every time it has been much more challenging than I anticipated.
Running at 30 mph seems like 60mph.

What electronics would show your position and obstacles and do CC boats usually carry this type of electronics?

Fish bite at night too, plus you don't get Sunburned, it's not Africa hot, often the wind and waves are less and there is a nice cool breeze, I prefer nights over days.
My little 21' CC boat I had a Garmin 740s with HD Radar, it was a little boat and had as much navigation equipment as most much larger boats, I believe that is most often the case
They just screwed up and people died, I'm not trying to belittle it, but I assume they were not where whoever was driving thought they were
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:34   #11

Quote:
Extremely. I know people who go out into the Gulf to fish at night far more often than they do during the day. And all up and down the east coast of Florida, there are as many night fishing charters available as there are during the day.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:38   #12

In home waters. on known and charted hazard, with lights on the extremities???

Coppers say (according to a clip on Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's "The National") that "speed was involved". Boat high and dry, upside down, by maybe twice its length, on what appeared to be a man-made breakwater???

Speculation as to causes might be inappropriate, but as someone said: "Be careful out there" - particularly about who you ship with!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 12:56   #13

One thought is three mid 20's aged males do not make the most intelligent group. I was in a car with 3 other teenage males. Wow, were we stupid. Yes, trying to peg the speedo and just in general driving way to fast.

Also seems fishing at night is a big thing and would explain how the accident was reported in the middle of the night.

Old 27-09-2016, 17:55   #14

Boat: 1980 Rafiki 37ft

I live not far from the tragedy.
Know where the Jetty is. Scary looking.
Sad is what we are thinking down here in South Fl.
I know alot of people who have crossed from Cuba.
Hardest working people I know here in the Keys.

RIP
RunningCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 19:23   #15

Quote:
Fernadez along with two others were killed when their CC fishing boat hit a jetty. It was reported that the boat was traveling at a high speed when it impacted the jetty.

I can not, for some reason copy and paste a link.

At night it is difficult to see and to judge distances, at least for me. Be careful out there.

This character "Panbo" is privy to evidence that has bypassed the rest of us.

Alcohol involved and Fernandez was piloting. He goes to great lengths to drag the deceased through the mud with the cover of "safety". He went out of his way, accuracy aside.

The Jose Fernandez boating tragedy, some safety thoughts - Sailfeed
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, boating, miami, pitch