Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 21:39   #1

Miami boat show strictly sail died February 14, 2018

After years of attending the South Florida boats shows my most favorite one seems to have come to an end. The boat show">Miami boat show strictly sail had maybe 30 sailboats from less that 10 companies. IP and Hunter each only brought 1 model. The majority of that where of the Benetau, jeanneau, lagoon, Catalina, leopard and maybe 2 other sailing brands. Compared to literally hundreds of motor boats ranging from pwc to luxury

Have any others seen this as well?
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 02:39   #2

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Miami boat show strictly sail died February 14, 2018

We went Sunday and Monday, and test sailed a boat on Tuesday. Pretty busy each day around mid day but dropped off around 2-3 pm.

We boarded a Leopard 38, Catana Bali, Nautitech 40, and Seawind 1160 Lite and 1260. All had friendly and knowledgeable sales people, and registration was pretty quick and painless. We talked with the Outremer 45 rep about specs and were invited onboard, but it was out of our price range. Wasn't interested in Lagoon, but they had several models. There were some other cat builders there as well, but from length it was obvious too big so we skipped.

Also talked to Dometic, B&G, Vesper, Spectra, and a bunch of other reps for detailed info on new products that I can't get locally or on the internet. And some booths with interesting products I had never heard if before. Only regret was we wanted to attend some seminars but didn't fit them in. The show is well organized and if your not interested in fishing boats you can skip that tent. All the cat sailboats were on dock 800 - I think - as they seemed to be very near each other. We were there to buy a new cat, so didn't wander the other seven docks. We grabbed a program guide and targeted the reps we wanted to visit.

Also got to meet the famous "Tellie" of Spectra watermaker. Super nice guy but i knew that already, from just the help he gave over the phone!

Oh, and friend that came along called it a "bucket list" day. While we spent time on cats we were contemplating purchase, he spent time onboard big cats that we could never afford, and talking to reps about them.

Tuesday was sunny, and breezy, and a great day for test sail. We are on a plane heading home to Texas this am, but I'd definitely come back. Last time we attended this show was 12 years ago and we bought a boat then. Looks like we will do the same this year (Seawind 1160 Lite). Maybe we should consider avoiding this show as its not so good on our finances!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 08:06   #3

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I was hoping to get to the Miami show, from Orlando where I live, because I won an award in the Boating Writers contest, to be presented on the first day. But we couldn’t get any accommodation under about $300 a night, and I won’t pay gouging prices to anybody.
I find boat shows are okay if you actually want to buy something, or get a hands on inspection. Otherwise they are a bit depressing, seeing all that gleaming hardware, and software, most of which is not really necessary anyway.
Miami is the pits for traffic anyway, and you will soon need to show a passport to go there.
Old 21-02-2018, 08:16   #4

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

This was our third consecutive year going to the Miami show. Two years ago, we went to look at the final contenders on our purchase list. the last two shows, our boat (Seawind 1160 Lite) was in the show. Each year, the # of sailboats and sailing specific vendors decreased.

Of the three shows, this year's show was our least favorite. We really missed the separate area for the sailboats at Bayside. Apparently, the consolidation was due to planned construction over in the Bayside area. The lack of variety in sailboats, a sailing-only exhibitor tent that was tiny and completely on the other side of the show from the sailboats, and no permissions to stay aboard our boat at night, adding to our costs to attend, and the hassle of getting to/from the venue were all negatives. Positives were getting to meet and talk with Gregor Tarjan and sailing our boat for the demos Tuesday.

For me, there is no better show in the US than the fall Annapolis show if you are interested in all things sailing related.
indimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 08:40   #5

Boat: Tartan 4400

We went to the show on Friday and Saturday. It took 2.5 hours to go 6 miles as the traffic was horrendous on Friday. We stood in line for 1.5 hours to take a ferry home on Friday as well. They did not think that though very well. Saturday, traffic was no issue.

The biggest disappointment was the lack of monohulls. Very few as noted. Only the largest of manufacturers were there.

They did have a large selection of things that swap between power boats and sailboats like electronics.

For all of the hype that Miami boat shows get, that is the last one we will go to. Annapolis is much, much, much better for the monohull crowd.

A power boater's dream come true. Especially when you combine it with the yacht show that was nearby.
dksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 08:49   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

In Richmond CA, what used to be called "Strictly Sail" died last year. It is now "Pacific Sail and Power."

https://pacificboatshow.com/
wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:03   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Definitely not what it used to be, but I still saw some interesting things, spoke to some folks I needed to get info from. I went Saturday all day, including the Cruising Outpost party after the show closed, then again half the day on Monday. Monday I went back to revisit some vendors I was particularly interested in from Saturday.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:04   #8

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Strictly Sail in Oakland had almost as many power boats as sail 4 years ago, the last time I went. When I first started sailing the Long Beach Boat Show was King on the West Coast. They had multple 50 to 65 footers out of the water. And literally hundreds of boats spread out over their property and across the street in the water. It was truly a multi day event to see it all if you only went for 8 hours a day. Now, because our boat is pretty much outfitted to our liking, we prefer more intimate boat shows, like the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Show. Even though at sixty five I do not have enough time left to own a wooden boat, I enjoy the culture and beauty of them still.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:13   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
After years of attending the South Florida boats shows my most favorite one seems to have come to an end. The Miami boat show strictly sail had maybe 30 sailboats from less that 10 companies. IP and Hunter each only brought 1 model. The majority of that where of the Benetau, jeanneau, lagoon, Catalina, leopard and maybe 2 other sailing brands. Compared to literally hundreds of motor boats ranging from pwc to luxury

Have any others seen this as well?
The Toronto International Boat Show, held each January, is a massive indoor show with hundreds and hundreds of boats and a massive array of boating gear. But each year, the little corner with a handful of sailboats gets smaller and smaller. My recollection from 40 years ago was that the show was half sail, half power. There are so few sailboats there now, that I haven't even bothered to go the last few years. Also, West Marine left the country (Canada), so most decent marine gear is bought online with a hefty fee at the border.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:17   #10

Boat: Freedom 32

Friend of mine said there were only 9 monohulls and the rest Condomarins.

RIP Strictly Sail.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:20   #11

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

I attended Thursday and Saturday in Miami. Parking $25 at AA Arena and then the free shuttle was a nightmare in Miami traffic.

The lack of organization is evident in what is the show directory. Vendors were easy to find and booth numbers assigned. But on the floor of the tents no row or booth numbers gave a clue as to where the specific vendor was.

The lack of a dinghy dock is the sure sign that the show really doesn’t get the SAIL side. I would have gladly anchored off Hobie Beach if there was a place to land my dinghy.

In the end my cost of the show was offset by a few deals at the show but little else. Only the company of a friend from the Irwin group who knew so many great folks and introduced me to many made up for the disappointments.

If the show is to survive a lot needs to change.
Old 21-02-2018, 09:23   #12
chp

Boat: Hunter 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The Toronto International Boat Show, held each January, is a massive indoor show with hundreds and hundreds of boats and a massive array of boating gear. But each year, the little corner with a handful of sailboats gets smaller and smaller. My recollection from 40 years ago was that the show was half sail, half power. There are so few sailboats there now, that I haven't even bothered to go the last few years. Also, West Marine left the country (Canada), so most decent marine gear is bought online with a hefty fee at the border.
I agree. Used to go every year. Then noticed every year less and less for the sailor. Tons of power boats. I haven't been in 2 years. If I want to go to a sail boat show, Annapolis is the only one.
chp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:27   #13

The cost of in the water show space has become prohibitive for small run sailboat companies. Power boat models sell 10 times more, making the per unit sold cost much lower.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:31   #14

Boat: Beneteau 343

It was my first Miami boat show and I would not be surprised if it is my last. Great boats to check out for sure but not sail oriented. I checked out all I really needed to in terms of my plans but the crowds and other aspects wore me out. I was planning on Sat and Sunday at show but after Saturday we had had enough and went to Everglades Nat Park to kayak Sunday.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Yeah, the sail section of the TIBS keeps shrinking. The most sailing action seems to be on the dinghy end, with some new rotomolded sport dinghies. There still seems to be a glut of older cruising monohulls on the market, at low prices.

If the Miami and other shows have shrinking sail exhibitors as well, I guess it's a broad trend.

I will probably keep going to the Toronto show; it's local, it's cool to see new stuff, to try to get deals on the fenders, shoes and the other stuff we seem to need every year, and just to run into people we know.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat show, miami, miami boat show, sail