Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Mexico or British Columbia, to learn to sail and buy a boat?
Mexico 13 35.14%
BC 17 45.95%
Neither, keep oldening in your soul-draining job 3 8.11%
bacon 8 21.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 03:21   #61

Boat: Magnum 21
Re: Mexico or BC for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDup View Post
I am tired of this deal where I work 9-5+, and on-call the rest, non stop all the time. I can do it, though. I'm not reduced to a puddle of jello every night. I'm well compensated. It's a voluntary deal, that I've been a-ok with thus far. I am not floundering. I am not depressed.

It's just not fulfilling. My job leaves me with very little capacity to do anything else. And, I'm worried that life is passing me by. I want to travel. I want to explore new ways of being.

BandB (Wifey and Hubby) are right, I have next to no practical experience. Their concerns are totally valid, and much appreciated (from all others too).

I am intrigued by the ocean, weather, boats in general. A lot of things are pulling me to live on a boat. Adventure, independence, reducing my reliance on the trappings of modern life, preparing for the zombie apocalypse. That last one is a joke (I hope).

I want to put my energy into my home and day-to-day well being, not into what I'm going to say at the next board meeting, or how I'm going to fix the schedule so that person 'x' doesn't call in sick the next time I need them, or how to explain reality to senior management.

I am not going all in. I'm not grasping at this lifestyle like it's going to save my life. Yes, I'm infatuated with the notion, but I'm not going to be crushed if it doesn't work out.

My leaning right now is to turn up near a marina, find a place to stay for a while, and hang out. Take 'er easy. Learn to sail. Shop for a boat. It's a beautiful plan. Please don't worry about me.

I'm overwhelmed with all of the responses. Encouraging, discouraging, positive, negative, cold-dose-of-reality, all so much food for thought. Thank you all
I feel that instead of jumping in at the deep end by buying a big boat and later on selling it at a big loss, you should start small. For 15 years I had a 22 footer with a retractable centre board (keel) on a trailer. There was no exorbitant marina charges to pay because I park it on my front lawn. For you it will take about a week to tow it from Canada to Mexico. Maybe stopping to explore all the rivers and lakes on the way!

David Chin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico