Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Mexico or British Columbia, to learn to sail and buy a boat?
Mexico 13 35.14%
BC 17 45.95%
Neither, keep oldening in your soul-draining job 3 8.11%
bacon 8 21.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 15:12   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Mexico or BC for me?

Purchase a boat in the Pacific Northwest area. Get used to living on board and fixing the boat. In late May take it up the inside passage to Alaska. Then return after the short season. Fix the boat some more. Still enjoying it? Head in late August down the coast to San Francisco and then San Diego. Fix the boat. Still enjoying it. Head down Baja coast in early Nov. Spent the season cruising Pacific Mexico.
Pacific Mexico is easy cruising and low cost. Upper BC and Alaska is a great adventure, but not a place to hang outside the short season. You do this over a 2 to ,3 year period and get the experience to know where and what you want to do next.
Old 31-07-2017, 16:28   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I also think the solution to your quandary will be in working out the numbers. You have many steps before you're ready to leave your home waters on your own boat. Southern Cal has many boats for sale, and very light airs. [little challenge]
Well, now I beg to differ a little bit! Sure, MDR and south...
At least in the Santa Barbara area you can start the morning with calm seas and by the time you are 15 miles out it may be 20 knots and 4 to 5 foot seas for a warm-up, and that's the usual. Then just mosey up to Point Conception, anchor at Cojo and wait to play off the point in the afternoon some fine spring day. Potato patchy, 20 to 30kts and 6 to 8 to 10 footers are not too rare. That is at least a LITTLE challenge for some
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 17:30   #18

Boat: O'Day 40

Move to BC, either Vancouver area or Vancouver Island.
Join the Bluewater Cruising Association. Bluewater Cruising Association
Join the group within that is planning to go offshore in the next 1 to 2 years.
Assuming limited experience, then find a suitable boat based on what you learn here.
You will meet experienced cruisers who want to share their knowledge and experience. This will save you lots of time and money in the long term.
Once you've sailed the west coast for a while you will be confident enough to sail anywhere and still be young enough to do it.
Good for you to be able to do it while you're young.
Old 31-07-2017, 17:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The world is much larger than Mexico vs BC and cheap fish tacos. Expand your search well beyond North America... look at all the possibilities.
Dad's job had us kids growing up in malaysia, denmark, france, brazil, senegal, afrique du sud. I've traveled a bunch. A lot of it was when I was a kid, though, if I'm being honest.

Anyway, Mexico feels right. I know I can learn to love someplace in the med or se asia, too, and if I realize my ultimate dreams then someday I will, but I just have enough on my plate learning-wise already. BC feels like home, and Mexico feels like close enough. I want to learn slow and then venture out.

Fish tacos = delicious. Cheap = bonus!
DDup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 22:49   #20

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDup View Post
Dad's job had us kids growing up in malaysia, denmark, france, brazil, senegal, afrique du sud. I've traveled a bunch. A lot of it was when I was a kid, though, if I'm being honest.

Anyway, Mexico feels right. I know I can learn to love someplace in the med or se asia, too, and if I realize my ultimate dreams then someday I will, but I just have enough on my plate learning-wise already. BC feels like home, and Mexico feels like close enough. I want to learn slow and then venture out.

Fish tacos = delicious. Cheap = bonus!

The sailing is not great in the summer months in SW BC - you will spend a lot of time motoring. However, the navigation is tricky and the tidal currents will improve your seamanship. The variable and lighter winds will help you develop sail trimming skills. But, the water is cold (even in Desolation Sound), so I vote Mexico. After all , you're just dipping your toes, right, so make it as much fun as possible.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:21   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I've cruised both areas, and this is what I'd say:

BC in summer is breathtakingly beautiful, lots of sea life of the edible kind, moderate weather if a bit on the cool side for me. Outside of summer, it is too cold too wet and too gloomy for me.

Mexico, from the SoC right down the mainland coast is warm to hot, the water is warm, the fish life pretty good, isolation is available if desired, the locals are great folks, and with a b it of seasonal migration, the wx isn't too harsh. Possibility of hurricanes, but various useful anchrages (see Zeehag's various (somewhat incomprehensible) posts on the subject). Life there is good, inexpensive and interesting... or at least it was for us!

So, if you are considering a long stay, more than a full year) I'd pick Mexico. Despite the post above, the sail back from Mexico to the PNW is NOT an easy one at all. Doing it on a regular seasonal basis is a stern task IMO.

I can't speak as to availability of boats in either place, but some internet research should give a general idea of the market. I'd expect boats in better condition in the PNW, and the availability of some good surveyors is a plus. Many of the boats in Mexico are ones abandoned by their disappointed owners who have returned north and hope to recoup all the excessive dollars they expended "getting ready", so be aware!

You seem to be in a good space, so do your homework and enjoy... we sure have!

Jim
Old 01-08-2017, 09:29   #22

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDup View Post
I want to learn slow and then venture out.
Sounds like BF first, then Mexico, then maybe further.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:50   #23

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I say go for it, BC at first to get in the swing of things, then on to Mexico for a change - I'm envious.

I have to admit, I really know nothing of Mexico, except the drug war casualties one hears on the news.

To those who have been - is there any meaningful concern as to being a target for crime or kidnapping? I would think the perception of being a "wealthy" cruiser from north of the border might possibly be a risk.

Again, I really know nothing when it comes down to it. I know good people are good people the world over.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:55   #24

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
To those who have been - is there any meaningful concern as to being a target for crime or kidnapping? I would think the perception of being a "wealthy" cruiser from north of the border might possibly be a risk.
It's area specific. I spent all my time up and down the baja penisula without issue with a lot of bus and walking transportation (so contact with the general population). Don't flaunt wealth, have situational awareness, stay away from shady bars at 2am etc and you'll be fine.

There are over 100,000 american expats living in retirement down there, you're not as rare as you think.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:04   #25

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Ddup,

For perspective, remember you are talking about your 1st boat and new beginnings... This is not your last chance at anything...

I'm on my 5th [and perhaps final?] cruiising boat over 4 decades. [Changing boats as lifestyle/location choices and personal preferences refine/ change...]

Regarding where: It depends upon what else you want to do besides motor, sail, and sit on your boat; and what you want to look at and do while living on your boat in remote places, and what amenities you prefer... [At least initially; you can always move your floating teak cabin...]

I loved Mexico, lived there on land and on sea several different times over the years. S Pacific too. I also love the Pacific Northwest [PNW- specifically BC and Alaska.] Everyone who boats here from tropical places marvels at the shear magesty of BC/Alaska coastline, and for most it becomes their new- if not all time best favorite place to cruise. It seems to be ours for the last 20 years or so.

But what about the 'cold'? That is always relative for us all. Since you are used to winters in Torronto [we are used to Fairbanks...] the BC coast will seem 'tropical' to you in comparison. Year 'round. Truly.

Also ask yourself how well you do in heat. Constant heat. [I don't do well anymore, but this boat has air conditioning so I can still consider lower latitudes if desired...]

Having been in the boat market as recently as 4 years ago, I can also say you may well have a higher probability of finding a well found and maintained vessel- ready for living aboard- in higher latitude climates [which means it is also ready for any climate further south...]

This logic also applies to automobiles as you already know; people in cooler climates cannot afford to let vehicle maintenance slide like one could in less challenging climates...

One last perspective: this is not a permanent change you are contemplating. It is new for you and time will tell whether it becomes permanent or not... You always have choices...

Best wishes sorting out what might be the best beginning for your next adventure.

Don't hesitate.

Cheers! Bill
Old 01-08-2017, 10:13   #26

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Hi Ddup. I've sailed the BC coast most of my life on OPBs, finally bought my own and sailed southern BC for three years. There is a great amount of beauty in BC. Anyhoo, I sold that boat, it was a pilothouse; perfect for the wet coast sailing I was doing, but I thought I wouldn't need windshield wipers for where I was going, also, pushing snow and slush off the deck got old fast. Bought a sturdy little boat in Socal and sailed there for 3 years. Except for Catalina, and the channel islands, it's a little boring, but predictable winds make it easy to learn to sail.

Retired in June at 55 and sailed to Mexico in December.
I've always been an off season traveller, so I sailed winters in BC and California, and I'm presently tied to a mooring ball in Puerto Escondido, preparing to head further north for hurricane season in Bahia Los Angeles. It's pretty warm here, but it's actually cooler than central BC right now.

I find the Sea of Cortez is a lot like the Straight of Georgia; lots of secluded anchorages, beautiful scenery, plenty of marine mammals, good fishing, friendly people, lots of Canadians ;^) etc.

Loreto is an international airport, Westjet has seasonal flights from Vancouver, and Alaskan airlines flies year round.

Another option if you can swing it, is two boats, one in Mexico and one on Van Isle.

My opinion; do it. I'm glad I did. I love Mexico; the people, the food, the scenery, warm weather, sunshine, low cost of living, everything. I plan on exploring more of the world but I'd be happy to remain retired, right here.

See you on the sea,

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:14   #27

Boat: J/42

Coming from any place with a real winter, BC/Salish Sea is mild all year long. That said, my vague plan is North in summer, South in winter. Wouldn't be afraid to spend a winter North though. (Especially if by sticking with the cheap old boat I have the cash to jet off someplace for a few weeks during the worst of it.)
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:24   #28

Boat: Camelot - Islander 37

Check out www.lasalinamarina.weebley.com
Very motivated seller. Nice boat in good condition. Currently documented. Well equipped with lots of spares. Excellent liveaboard or passagemaker. Already in Mexico. Spent 4 months in the adjacent slip and the inside is in great condition although cluttered with various household items. Needs a little TLC but nothing major. Owner is looking for offers.
Good luck on your search.
Cowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:28   #29

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I would say any place except cold weather you should have had enough of that by now I would think. Being that your not tied down in any way I would just start searching for the right boat and begin wherever it happens to be. The Florida area is just packed with good boats at a good price. If you found her there you would have the entire eastern Caribbean. Because you have some freedom I would just get on Yachtworld and find the boat and start from there.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:35   #30

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

I've got an idea. I'll buy a bigger boat in BC, you buy the boat you want in Toronto and we'll trade for a couple of years. You can sail the west coast and I'll do east coast and great lakes then we'll trade back and do our local waters.
It's amazing how many people on here have similar dreams when it comes to retirement.
Oh and the scuba diving in BC is fantastic, you just need a heavier wetsuit.
wedivebc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico